Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on females wearing fedoras

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
First, ABSOLUTELY, women look FANTASTIC in men's hats.

That "women in fedoras" thread was one of my favorites here. I do wish the moderators would re-consider opening it back up, or letting us start a new one, if perhaps the criteria for proper posting remained clear.

My wife looks great in my hats. There's some pictures, though, that I can't share with all of you. ;) Heheee...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I love women in men's fedoras. I think fedoras look better on women than they do on men! I don't what it is, women and hats are just a good combination.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My daughter showed me this today. I didn't even bother to read who it was or what magazine it came from...

041rc.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I was hoping someone would return to this subject. The last Women in Mens Hats thread was wonderful and great fun. However, it was starting to push the limit for a family-friendly site so let's keep at least reasonably calm this time, guys. We'd hate to have it shut down again.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Women wearing "fedoras"?

Since the later 1990s, we've seen many cheap and not-so-cheap hats sold in stores and worn by women as a fashion accessory rather than practicality, more so now by female "hipsters" (not the ones like us nor the jazz aficionados), all generally in the color of (bleh) black. Although the "fedora" supposedly originates from a play and even was originally a women's hat, I think that we can agree that the modern ones for women are said to be based on men's hats from the Golden Era (yeah, I know).

I'm interested to see what everybody thinks about this, both male and female loungers. Fellow female loungers can surely agree that there are much better hats to wear (I've always loved pillboxes and cloches) if for fashion rather than utility. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

-Quetzal

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Oh, I see that this is already a thread. Thank you, whoever merged it.

Yes, an actual man's hat can look attractive, in the Marlene Dietrich-sort of way, though around my area all of the hats are the cheap, stingy-brim, generic, shapeless paper/cotton/polyester Wal-Mart/Target hats that some people on the internet poke fun at (and even use to make fun of us!).

But I've always found a mid to wider-brim to look the best, so long as the rest of the outfit is in tune.

-Quetzal

Since the later 1990s, we've seen many cheap and not-so-cheap hats sold in stores and worn by women as a fashion accessory rather than practicality, more so now by female "hipsters" (not the ones like us nor the jazz aficionados), all generally in the color of (bleh) black. Although the "fedora" supposedly originates from a play and even was originally a women's hat, I think that we can agree that the modern ones for women are said to be based on men's hats from the Golden Era (yeah, I know).

I'm interested to see what everybody thinks about this, both male and female loungers. Fellow female loungers can surely agree that there are much better hats to wear (I've always loved pillboxes and cloches) if for fashion rather than utility. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

-Quetzal
Like many things, it's really a matter of personal taste. I think proper fedoras (i.e., not a trilby or a "stingy brim") are very attractive on women; in fact, I can't think of a single instance in which I saw a woman wearing a fedora and thought, "Oh, that looks wrong." That said, I understand women's fashions even less than I understand men's fashions, and I just barely understand men's fashions. :D In my opinion Pillbox and cloche hats (since you mentioned them) are fine if a woman is wearing either with the proper attire to complete a "look", but neither have ever caught my attention in the same way as a fedora has.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
If you like wearing men's hat then by all means do so. I would never tell a women that they should not wear what makes them happy. That being said, I really do not like women in fedoras. It looks way too trendy or hipster in my opinion. I personally prefer an overall vintage look and occasionally wear vintage type fedoras to compliment that kind of style. I like the cloche style women's hats but they really only go with some type of vintage inspired outfit. I absolutely love a lot of women's vintage styles especially form the 30s and 40s, think Mildred Pierce etc. and I like those types of women's hats. But if you like fedoras wear them, I just thought I would give you my opinion which will very likely be quite different from everyone else on here.

John Galt

Vendor
Thoughts on females wearing fedora's

Well, from Wickipedia:

"The word fedora comes from the title of an 1882 play by dramatist Victorien Sardou, Fédora, written for Sarah Bernhardt.[3] The play was first performed in the United States in 1889. Bernhardt played Princess Fédora, the heroine of the play. During the play, Bernhardt, a notorious cross-dresser, wore a center-creased, soft brimmed hat. After Prince Edward of Britain started wearing them in 1924, it became popular among men for its stylishness and its ability to protect the wearer's head from the wind and weather."

I dispute the implication that men weren't wearing these before that date, but it seems the term was first associated with a female wearer. Also, I think Edward's hat was a Homburg...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn