Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thread to display you collarless/tunic/Grandad shirts

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hello all,

I was assured by some that such a thread doesn't exist, so I'll make one!
What we're talking about here are shirts that are meant to be worn with a separate, detachable collar. Other features include bib-fronts, pullover (doesn't button all the way down), butterfly hems at the bottom (forgive terminology) etc etc. I don't think we need to be too strict about it.
I've only got a handful of vintage tunic shirts, including one that does have the collar attached, but I think it falls in well with the others I'm posting, so I'm going to anyway!

Apologies for the creases - They've lain dormant in my drawer for some time.

Any comments on origins of the brands or dates would be HIGHLY appreciated :)

Griffin & Spalding of Nottingham, pullover shirt with double-cuffs. 1940s?

'Shurephit' shirt. This I bought new in the packaging, with two collars, for £20, some years ago. It is a little too snug now, but is a fantastic shirt. The material is very substantial. it's very long, is a pullover, and has double-cuffs. I assume 1930s?

Continued in next post...

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Continued...

Here are two 'Old England' shirts that i picked from from the Viyella factory shop years ago. It was notorious for having deadstock knocking about from decades back. I also have another of the second one. They were £5 each! They are of very fine cotton, have bib-fronts, and button cuffs. They are not pullover, strangely enough. I'm assuming they're either modern reproductions (doubtful, considering their quality), or from the 1960s. They are samples.

A 'Balmoral'. I'm assuming 1960s/1970s, going by the care label on the inner seam, but other than that it has all the period features - bib-front, double-cuffs and is pullover. I *think* it's poly-cotton too.

Continued on next post...

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Continued...

Here is a view of all the cloths up close:

Bonus round:
A really old (I'd say the oldest I've got) pullover workshirt, with attached collar. It has single cuffs, the buttons look really old, and the label doesn't give much away - 'Chriftofstal'. Ir at least i think that's what it says. I assume it's German or maybe Scandinavian? I will stick my neck out and say 1920s. It's a substantial cotton, has rather narrow shoulders, and unusual triangular stitching for the box-pleat at the bottom of the placket. I'd really like some help with this one!

Thanks for looking folks! Hope these are of interest to some of you!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Great thread! I have about 20-30 detachable collar shirts that I'll post once I get the time.
Please do! What I've posted is pretty much my whole collection but I love seeing them! I think it could be a useful resource too :)

I don't suppose you know anything about that 'Chriftofstal' I posted? D'you think 1920s?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Indeed I do Eddie, it's a belter and probably your size too! immaculate it's even got a dickie bow retaqiner and a tab on the front to fasten to your tux trousers!!!
I probably won't get time to photgraph anything now for the next month as I'm standing this Sunday at a vintage fair and then away for a few weeks.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple I posted in the classifieds recently, a collarless 'Meakers' 'Kingdum'of Piccadily this is a 60's shirt according to the chap I bought it off, he bought it whilst working in London during the early 60's apparently....15 1/2" collar and again roughly a 40" chest
Condition is again very good save some wear to the French cuffs but no fraying, it's on the very edge of the cuff so couldn't really be seen or if really bneeded you could get the cuffs turned as the backs are immaculate or replaced with white cuffs which would then match whatever collar you can find and there's plenty around in that size, I'd certainly wear it if it fitted me!
2ymgcas.jpg
15wh3tj.jpg

here's the only mark I can find on it which may come out with a bit of oxyclean etc
2ns6n44.jpg

and the inside of the cuffs,
69izq9.jpg
ff3i3d.jpg

2ii7mf8.jpg
apart from the cuffs there's little wear at all and the cloth is lovely striped pattern

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
An Irish made cream 1950's? cotton/ linen cotton? shirt, collar is a 14 1/2", chest roughly a 40"
1z3uhr5.jpg
21jcglk.jpg

2iu6o9x.jpg
4tq6m9.jpg

2qtbexf.jpg
2z4wetx.jpg

gusseted to sides and cuffs, buttons appear to be MOP, no marks tears or rips in fact it doesn't appear to have had much wear at all and the fabric is still a bit stiff ...linen? not sure if it belongs in here or in the spear point thread?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
And another Irish one, I can't tell you how much I wish this fit!!!
2me37v7.jpg

atksop.jpg
bgcsjn.jpg

1yrbl1.jpg
255m9e0.jpg

98y6fd.jpg
2cf7io6.jpg

2qkj76h.jpg
4pxf8l.jpg

There is very little wear at all to this just some light marking in places, size is again roughly 40" with a 15" collar, gussets to sides and cuffs, fabric appears to be linen?
strangely it has no top button but two button holes that appear to be 100% original

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
And another Irish one, I can't tell you how much I wish this fit!!!
2me37v7.jpg

atksop.jpg
bgcsjn.jpg

1yrbl1.jpg
255m9e0.jpg

98y6fd.jpg
2cf7io6.jpg

2qkj76h.jpg
4pxf8l.jpg

There is very little wear at all to this just some light marking in places, size is again roughly 40" with a 15" collar, gussets to sides and cuffs, fabric appears to be linen?
strangely it has no top button but two button holes that appear to be 100% original

Are they still available? PM me if so :)

BruSwain

New in Town
I've had a few vintage shirts over the years but this one has always taken top honors. Got it on eBay long ago and have worn it but a few times fearing even washing it by hand might cause some deterioration. It's in remarkable shape for a garment that's a century or so old. The pleated bosom is amazing. This model came with what at the time were called "attached cuffs," i.e., single-ply and not french/foldover.

E & W was Earl & Wilson, collar and shirt makers in Troy, NY (where else?).

100_0587.jpg 100_0588.jpg 100_0589.jpg 100_0590.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy