Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thread to display you collarless/tunic/Grandad shirts

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Likely from the 1880's. Bib front with detachable cuffs. Came to me with a suit of the same vintage.
Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. But still interesting. Opens at the back.

Shirt3.jpg

Shirt2.jpg

Shirt1.jpg

F. J.

One of the Regulars
I recently ordered two Harvie & Hudson neckband shirts.
I don’t know how much longer they are doing it, but the blue pencil stripe and the navy bengal stripe are on sale for £16.67 apiece (£20 if you’re in the U. K.). They are normally priced at £69.50.

Blue Pencil Stripe

Navy Bengal Stripe
DSC_0952_zpsjntdmvkx.jpg

Here’s a look at how the rear stud hole is constructed:
DSC_0954_zpsowj9uw1c.jpg

DSC_0953_zpsfmajlkde.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I didn't know there was a thread for these! :)

Last week, I got this Peter Barton's Closet shirt. It's probably from the 70s or early 80s. It's a rather unusual shirt, as the buttons are off to the side a bit, and there is an inside button.

0IGHiOE.jpg

iGqA67y.jpg

ySTgfpY.jpg

AwrTuv7.jpg

VZ0fg56.jpg

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Scotrace - Great example of a shirt. I can just imagine some gentleman in the Wild West wearing it. Are there many examples of rear fastening ones? I've had a couple, but they're only dress evening shirts with starched fronts.

F.J - Bargain! Really crisp shirts there!

RetroS - That is a very interesting shirt. Also reminds me of the Wild West. Perhaps open it up and wear with a cravat, or neckerchief, to show off that great frontal construction.

Giftmacher - there's a few on Ebay knocking about, prices vary. I'm selling some of the ones I showed on here, but they're small necks. What size are you?

F. J.

One of the Regulars
product_thumb.php

The cheapest white tunic shirts I’ve been able to find are from Clermont Direct. I recently acquired two of them, which cost £27.50 apiece. (I recommend ordering from their eBay store—the shipping’s cheaper.)

I am wearing one right now with a Gentleman’s Emporium spearpoint collar. They are quite soft, which is the reason I bought four of them—for more casual wear. (I just iron them with a little starch. If you really have the time and inclination, you can use liquid or powder starch to make them stiff-as-you-please, but for stiff collars I just use the washable Darcys with just a touch of spray starch.)

The Clermont Direct shirts have characteristically English double cuffs; viz., the button-holes are close to the edge, even closer than the Harvie & Hudson shirts.

The double cuffs on these are more fitted than any of my others—sharper, but a bit harder to wear, as I prefer to wear chain cuff-links (my favourite is a gold German pair). With these, I usually put in the cuff-links before I put on the shirt and then just slide my hands through as it’s easier that way. I can’t quite do that with these shirts; I can barely fit my hand through forwards, and backwards not at all. If you wear toggle-link cuff-links, this is not a problem, as I usually put those in with the shirt already on anyway.

If you wear things like stiff collars, chain cuff-links, or spats (or worse yet, button boots), you begin to understand the reason wealthy gentlemen a century ago had valets to help them dress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy