Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Threads That Go Astray

GOING OFF-TOPIC IN A THREAD: HOW MUCH DOES IT BOTHER YOU?

• Don't care -- can be funny

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Depends on the thread's topic

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Bothers me somewhat

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Bothers me a lot

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I don't mind when threads wander--I might be an offender, here--though it is always better when the questions posed get answered. Conversations flow, that's what makes them interesting. If people only got the answer to the specific questions they ask, it would be a pretty boring forum.

"What color hat should I wear with a black suit?"

"Grey or black."

"Can I wear brown shoes?"

"No."

Yada, yada, yada. Yeah. That's going to keep me coming back! I like the asides, amusing anecdotes, harmless flirting, etc. Not too crazy about the political jabs or the negative stuff. I can get that on the news.

So, anyway, there I was, my pants were completely shredded and I'd lost my left shoe, when out of the next room comes this Saint Bernard! So naturally I dropped the guy's bowling ball, and head for the stairs...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
The only time it really bugs me is when I'm trying to go back through and find information but can't because of the banter- or when things get more off-color. We are still a mixed audience forum.

But mostly they're funny.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Well said. I don't mind so much when a thread turns to another topic, I just don't like it when it turns into banter that isn't of interest to anyone but the participants.

I answered "it depends on the topic." I think the topic should be something germaine to the FL site, and something that's likely of general interest to the members.

Agreed.

And even though I am an adult, I always laugh at potty humor.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
It only bothers me when it gets into a two-way or three-way personal conversation between a few folks that could easily be handled via PM or email.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Don't care

I like to jump right in the middle and start talking. ;) Things get off topic, that's the natural flow of conversations.lol It keeps people awake.:eek: Bring it all on; I'll take any and all posts.:D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It really doesn't bother me. I actually look forward to what some of you guys post! :D I do however like it to flow in a way where other people can join in also...conversations do tend to be that way (or at least mine do!)
But I guess it would be good to keep in mind, what thread you are in..to keep the topic in that general area (powder room, observation bar, news, ect.)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
We have this smiley just for these occasions.

But it's more of an annoyed off-topic face.

:eek:fftopic:

Maybe we need a happy off-topic icon?

:)

Doesn't bother me so much because I am one of those topic hijackers at times. :eek:
I think a little off-topic makes for some fun discussions, just like in real life conversation.

The polls don't lie either, the majority of us are out there. lol

Strider

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
I'm not bothered by it. The only thing that really bothers me is when people get into "more vintage than thou" banter.

:eusa_clap

MojaveJack said:
So, anyway, there I was, my pants were completely shredded and I'd lost my left shoe, when out of the next room comes this Saint Bernard! So naturally I dropped the guy's bowling ball, and head for the stairs...

lol lol QUOTED! As much as I could, anyway.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
But it's more of an annoyed off-topic face.
:eek:fftopic:
Maybe we need a happy off-topic icon?
:)
Doesn't bother me so much because I am one of those topic hijackers at times. :eek:
I think a little off-topic makes for some fun discussions, just like in real life conversation.
The polls don't lie either, the majority of us are out there. lol

Me too on all points. But I did get a reprimand today for one of those conversations that exclude people, and after thinking about it for a while I could see the point, and it was more than likely my fault (sorry other two parties for dragging you in), and it probably wasn't generically funny, so I'll take this opportunity to say sorry to all offended or potentially offended parties, and promise not to do it again...unless I don't start it! :D . No really, I mean it, I will think before I speak.

And as for topics that shouldn't stray - that's easy. Topics that are clearly of an emotional and highly sensitive nature should be respected. And I think we're all intelligent enough to know when that happens.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
With Actual People

Conversations wander, people think of things, they react. All part of conversations with bone and blood people, so why not with pretend people? :p

Caledonia

Practically Family
I am definitely not a pretend people. I think therefore I am, or at least I think I do, am, do, am, oh sheesh!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
Me too on all points. But I did get a reprimand today for one of those conversations that exclude people, and after thinking about it for a while I could see the point, and it was more than likely my fault (sorry other two parties for dragging you in), and it probably wasn't generically funny, so I'll take this opportunity to say sorry to all offended or potentially offended parties, and promise not to do it again...unless I don't start it! :D . No really, I mean it, I will think before I speak.

And as for topics that shouldn't stray - that's easy. Topics that are clearly of an emotional and highly sensitive nature should be respected. And I think we're all intelligent enough to know when that happens.

You are SO ---> [bad] :eusa_doh: lol

ortega76

Practically Family
I suppose, for me, it comes down to "It depends". When people act like adults, fun-loving, idiosyncratic adults to be sure, respect comes out and the banter is fine. I agree, in real life a conversation wanders and (hopefully) the topic is covered and people get a joke or two.

When we don't behave like adults (and by that I mean act without respect toward each other) then things get out of hand. Hey, we don't all share the same political views. Some of us don't or can't dress in vintage everyday. Heaven forbid that someone buy a $40 wool fedora instead of dropping $500 on a custom job. I'm not saying we can't express our views or disagree but we don't have to behave like a-holes to each other. We're all much smarter than the average modern joe so let's prove it to each other!

I'm having a blast on this forum. I'm learning a lot. I'm being inspired by many people here. I love the activity level. I think this place is great. Any expression of frustration above should be taken as extremely minimal.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Ortega76, you said it. It's about being adults, respecting each other, and still letting the fun in. Well said. :eusa_clap

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
When I saw this poll I had to mention that another forum I frequent has a list of rules on the front page, one of which reads:

"There is no such thing as 'thread drift'. That's just a petty anal name for conversation that was created by small-minded messageboard Hitlers. Our messageboard Hitlers are much more open-minded. We welcome conversation."

This is a good rule for any forum, I think. However, the aforementioned place is for nerds and is about all sorts of nerdy stuff, and the number one rule on the list is:

"Don't put a photograph of yourself in your sig, you are an ugly ******* nerd and nobody wants to look at you."

Luckily this is not a universal rule of internet forums, or else no one would see all the beautiful people on the FL!! lol

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Going off-topic is totally the inheirent nature of public bulletin boards and forums. Since people are offering various input on subjects it often, and rightfully, stimulates memories and ideas associated to an often lesser degree from the original topic by others.

Are reader of a thread that drifts off completely certainly has the right to say, "Ok, well and good, but on the original topic, I think....."[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass