Threads That Go Astray

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Marc Chevalier, Jun 23, 2006.

GOING OFF-TOPIC IN A THREAD: HOW MUCH DOES IT BOTHER YOU?

1. Don't care -- can be funny

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Depends on the thread's topic

24 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Bothers me somewhat

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Bothers me a lot

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. .

How much does this bother you -- if at all?

2. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

Off topic is often more interesting than on topic.

Whoops, did I type that out loud. :eek:

3. I do understand that the bartenders watch out for it; that's their job. But there are a few non-bartenders who get kinda freaked out by off-topic straying. Let's hear from them, too.

4. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

As I was saying...

...about Bagism, you see - you get in this bag and you jump out the window. Next thing you know, you've got a policeman on your head. :eek:fftopic: ?

What were we talking about????...

5. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Funny is fine, but we don't all have the same sense of humor. I don't want to be a party pooper, but I've outgrown the pee-pee jokes. Isn't that what PMs are for?

6. Yes. Not to mention those who don't have any sense of humor. :confused:

7. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Topis are starting points that some one can actualy remember to post but can lead to engaging conversations about stuff that no one would have ever thought to post.

YaY.

LD

8. So ... if you answered that "it depends on the thread's topic", then what topic(s) would those be?

9. J. M. Stovall

J. M. Stovall Call Me a Cab

Watches? Oh right, watches.

Wait, were am I?

10. You're in Valhalla, drinking poisoned mead with Loki.

11. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Problem is that at times Marc, you have a single minded sense of humor and it always leads to the flirtatious side. Not bad once in a while, though you sometimes break away from leaving meaningful posts to outright take it to the silly level and seem to never let the thread return to its roots... Not all threads need to break away from their topic, in fact it should be the rare occurance rather than the norm... the fact that you bring this to our attention with it's own thread shows that you yourelf are seeing it as a hot button issue. Good for you!

More moderation of such posts may be enforced in the future.

12. Why, thank you! (I think.)

Now, when the heck are you going to post those photos of Sunday night at The Derby? That certainly would be a meaningful post.

13. Zach R.

Zach R. Practically Family

No more Pee-Pee jokes? For us guys, they never get old. :p

14. Marc, why don't you do an experiment along this line? Create a thread entitled something like Blank and see how far it goes starting with NO topic at all. It certainly would never be off topic and you could gauge where it goes and how many people participate. There was that please deleted this thread thread. :D

Regards,

J

15. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm not bothered by it. The only thing that really bothers me is when people get into "more vintage than thou" banter.

16. Zach R.

Zach R. Practically Family

Ha! That one got out of hand really quickly.:eusa_doh: lol

17. So ... if you answered that "it depends on the thread's topic", then what topic(s) would those be?

18. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Well said. I don't mind so much when a thread turns to another topic, I just don't like it when it turns into banter that isn't of interest to anyone but the participants.

I answered "it depends on the topic." I think the topic should be something germaine to the FL site, and something that's likely of general interest to the members.

19. Thank you, Paisley.

And those who answered "it bothers me a lot", don't be shy: please tell us how and why.

20. LolitaHaze

LolitaHaze Call Me a Cab

I too am quite amused by the potty humor. lol