Threads That Go Astray

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Marc Chevalier, Jun 23, 2006.

GOING OFF-TOPIC IN A THREAD: HOW MUCH DOES IT BOTHER YOU?

1. Don't care -- can be funny

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Depends on the thread's topic

24 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Bothers me somewhat

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Bothers me a lot

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

SF has mountains? Who knew........

2. Perfect example of a thread that had off topic discussions and didn't bother anyone.... or I guess a few.....

Not anymore. Not really.

3. That's how I ended up here, contrary to what some might think :p

I can see how it could be frustrating when you're trying to research certain things, but I haven't come across very many information type threads that have gotten too off topic or at least not for very long. I of course credit the amazing people here and the bartenders like you for keeping it under control.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

[​IMG]

:p

5. Oh shu-up :p

I was being honest. I have no reason to brown nose [huh]

and stop going off topic Tomasso .... :nono:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. subject101

subject101 One of the Regulars

I didn't know either until I heard it was chilling up there [huh] Then it turned out it has 39 mountains;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountains_of_the_San_Francisco_Bay_Area

...and you have the San Francisco peaks but those are in Arizona. Maybe it is chilling there too.

Well, since this a thread on off-topics, I think he technically went off-off-topic. You should try. It's a new whole world. You will see when we start to discuss the Kilimanjaro.

7. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I have to agree here. I've not posted on the Lounge a lot lately because it just seems to be the "What modern stuff do you hate" Lounge. It has coloured my opinion quite a bit.

8. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

Where is he these days? There are a few guys I haven't seen much lately.

9. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

lol

10. I know, but I try so hard to be good :p

By the way, your signature cracks me up :)

I wondered why you hadn't been on much. I've missed your posts :)

I've been told he's taking an indefinite break.

11. I understand. I live vintage to an extent, but I don't care what others do. If I hated non-vintage living people, I wouldn't be able to walk out of my house or talk to anyone, especially my own family lol
    Lately it does seem like there's been a swing towards that kind of thing, but it'll swing back the other way. I think there's way more people like you on here and it's only a matter of time :)

12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think the thing with those threads is that most of us don't take them too seriously, and treat them accordingly. There's some legitimate, serious social criticism along the way, but it's mostly meant with tongue in cheek. Except I really *do* hate those new nickels where Jefferson is looking straight at you.

13. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

We were told to get back on topic, so that has pretty well stopped.

14. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Yea, it swings. I live vintage to an extent, also. But I also think evil modern technology has brought me closer to my love and knowledge of vintage. Without it, I'd have or know nothing!

As for being tongue in cheek, yes, some people are silly in those threads. Even *I* have tried knocking them down a few pegs lol. But I'd say a good portion are dead serious in their hatred. It's uncomfortable to read such negativity (to me.)

15. It can be uncomfortable, but I hope you can shrug it off and don't stay away for good.

16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Indeed.

17. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

The mocking, heckling and FB opinion like threads irk me too. There is really no discourse in them, they are all, "I loke this." "Me too!" next thread.

LD

18. Pompidou

Pompidou One Too Many

That's how it seems. Sometimes I argue, sometimes I don't. Depends how I think I stand in the community at the time.

19. I don't know what a FB opinion thread is, because I've never had an account [huh]

Anyway, the threads that y'all are talking about can be fun and I think everyone here has posted in them. I don't like the angry remarks either, but I just let them go.

But now we're all off topic..... :p

20. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Bring back the Buffalo Nickel. :)