Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three piece suits

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Three piece suits are cool. I've always wanted one. Maybe someone here can answer a question I've always had. Do they tend to make a man with a bit of a gut on him look thinner or thicker?

From a man with a big gut, I can personally tell you that it helps cover it up. At least that has been my belief.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Sorry, but this statement made my head blow up....[huh]

Just a suggestion, if the juxtaposition of the word "fashion" for "style" make your head blow up, you should know that there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market which taste just as good as the real thing.
:deadhorse:coffee::flame:

Now, back to the discussion on 3 piece suits . . .

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
If we go by the assumption that the three piece suit fits well it will draw less attention to a man's gut because of the lack of shirt front above the trousers. Instead the waistcoat creates a nice clean line all the way up.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
If we go by the assumption that the three piece suit fits well it will draw less attention to a man's gut because of the lack of shirt front above the trousers. Instead the waistcoat creates a nice clean line all the way up.

I not only agree, I count on it!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I believe that to have true style you can not be fashionable.

Just to comment on the rather finished side discussion that spawned here. I believe that a stylish person might indeed be fashionable, but that that is purely coincidental. By saying that a stylish person cannot be fashionable, ties them too closely to fashion and, if indirectly, makes them dependent upon it.

Back to three piece suits. I agree that they create a nice long line which is very flattering. I tend to wear contrasting vests, since I don't have any three piece suits. In shape they still create the long line, although the color breaks it up a bit. That said, since I am extremely tall and slender, creating long lines is not really a priority of mine. Accenting them maybe, but generally I want to add bulk to my figure, and create the illusion of a broader chest and shoulders.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Just to comment on the rather finished side discussion that spawned here. I believe that a stylish person might indeed be fashionable, but that that is purely coincidental. By saying that a stylish person cannot be fashionable, ties them too closely to fashion and, if indirectly, makes them dependent upon it.

I agree. I like to think I have some style (good or not) and when I wear my 60s suit I also end up unintentionally looking quite fashionable because 60s styled suit jackets are currently in fashion in the UK.

Back to three piece suits. I agree that they create a nice long line which is very flattering. I tend to wear contrasting vests, since I don't have any three piece suits. In shape they still create the long line, although the color breaks it up a bit. That said, since I am extremely tall and slender, creating long lines is not really a priority of mine. Accenting them maybe, but generally I want to add bulk to my figure, and create the illusion of a broader chest and shoulders.
A double-breasted suit with padded shoulders would create the illusion of a broader chest and shoulders. However I would like to think that being tall and slim shouldn't stop anyone wearing a three piece suit just because three piece suits can be slimming on larger people. I find that three piece suits (or two piece suits with a contrasting waistcoat) look good on people of any build providing they fit well.

Phileas Fogg

New in Town
When I was younger I had a few three piece suits and quite a lot of separate jackets and trousers I could combine (in my student years), nowadays I own mostly three piece suits. I do prefer them and as I spend most of my day working in the office or in meetings (I am a civil servant) I feel it is only fitting.
I also did not change my style when I moved from Europe to Saigon, I just changed the materials. In Europe it was mostly heavier wools here it is cotton, linen and lighter wools.
In the Saigonese climate one gets drenched in sweat even if wearing only shorts and t-shirts, so, as I do anyway need airconditioning just to breathe, I do not see any benefit from foregoing the waistcoat.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You sir, are extremely brave or extremely foolish.

I'm very familiar with the discomforts of the tropical, equatorial climate, what with the heat and the humidity and the constant rain and sun...How the HELL do you manage to wear a three-piece suit under such circumstances!?

I wore trousers, a shirt and waistcoat to a cousin's wedding in Malaysia, but even then, only because it was indoors under frigid air-conditioned comfort. I'd never wear that combination outdoors, even at night. Your suits must be fantastically thin to be comfortable enough to wear them in the tropics.

Phileas Fogg

New in Town
Well, I fear that some body else will have to answer the question regarding my bravery or foolishness. Still as written above I spend a lot of time indoors, which means in air-conditioned areas with temperatures between 23 and 25'C (approx 73-77'F). Sometimes the airconditioning goes even lower than that (not my choice but it happens). At 23 to 25'C a cotton suit is ok, linen is even better and light wool is also no problem either.
I rather hate warm climates, but feel no particular discomfort under these conditions.
Of course outdoors things change a lot, we are talking of 30-38'C year round for daytime and slightly lower temperatures at night (22'C in Februrary is considered deep winter cold by most locals) to which a ghastly humidity must be added. In these conditions it is far from enjoyable to take a walk outdoors in a three piece suit, still for short distances and jumping from an airconditioned place to another for respite it is not that bad and as soon as you get indoors you may appreciate having a waistcoat.
As far as real bravery is concerned the real brave ones were the French who came to this region about 150 years ago, they wore heavier clothes and had no airconditioning at all!
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

GBR

One of the Regulars
No they are fine, not presently fashionable and maybe won't be until better times because of the extra cost. they will return though.

Atterton

New in Town
Speaking as someone who has barely worn a suit, can the suit from a three-piece outfit be worn on it´s own without a waistcoat, or will that somehow look wrong? Meaning would one need a two-piece and a three-piece suit, or just remove the waistcoat if needed?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Speaking as someone who has barely worn a suit, can the suit from a three-piece outfit be worn on it´s own without a waistcoat, or will that somehow look wrong? Meaning would one need a two-piece and a three-piece suit, or just remove the waistcoat if needed?

They can be worn without waistcoat and look like a perfectly normal two piece suit. They can also be worn with odd waistcoats for a different look.

tophatman

New in Town
Well, personally I am part of today’s young generation and I wear three piece suits all the time. I happen to be wearing one right now. If I could, I would post pictures of my suits but sadly I can't yet.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
There is no minimum post count needed for posting pix, if that's what you mean.

tophatman could be unable to post as a result of not having a decent camera though. That's why I never posted pictures on here at first (until my girlfriend recently got a beast of a camera making picture posting a lot easier).

Whatever the case it's good to hear that another young person is wearing three piece suits. Otherwise it risks becoming "old person's" clothing and will eventually die out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn