Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three piece suits

Allen

New in Town
I love wearing three piece suits, but good luck finding one on the rack in this day and age. You can barely find a double breasted jacket anywhere. I currently have one waistcoat for my pinstriped suit which I had tailored for me, and I plan to have a few more made. Larry's Original Custom Tailor in Houston does very good work. Mr. Malkani was able to find a match so close to my suit for the fabric of the waistcoat that no one would be able to tell except upon the closest of inspections that it was bespoke.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Allen, welcome to the thread (and the forum).

Three-piecers are certainly harder to buy these days than they were back in the 1950s or even the 1970s, which is a great pity. I can only ever find them at second-hand thrift-shops and places like that.

Allen

New in Town
Hi Allen, welcome to the thread (and the forum).

Three-piecers are certainly harder to buy these days than they were back in the 1950s or even the 1970s, which is a great pity. I can only ever find them at second-hand thrift-shops and places like that.

It is a shame, but in all honesty, I must say that I like the fact that they're not as popular today as they were in those days; not just because I enjoy setting myself apart from what is universally regarded as the 'current' trend, but taking into account what these current trends are, it seems to me that the waistcoat would simply be one more thing for fashion designers to modernize and pervert to suit the tastes of today's generation.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
I'm absolutely with you in this point, Allen. Just a few days ago I went out to buy myself a suit and I specificly asked for a three piece suit. The answer I got was: "We don't have them; people don't ask for it - so we don't sell them." I too set myself apart from what is called the "current" trend, but I really don't like the fact that very often we have to go to either Internet shops anywhere in the world or to horribly expensive tailors to fulfill our wishes. We can't just go to Sears and buy ourselves a suit; we are such a minority, we don't count...

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
The down side of 3-piece suit is that it must "suit".
Off the shelves, or even worst on-line buying is a gamble with odds of pulling it through akin to those in most of Vegas' money spinners, unless you are of "standard" build.
Unless you are lucky enough to have a proper establishment near you where a tailor will measure you up before advising you on your off the shelf options. A few like that in London, thankfully... but at a cost ;)

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Anyone know where to get a linen three pice suit, for not much money?

Surely this is a contradiction in terms? Linen suits are worn in two pieces, and then only on really hot days? I'm sure if you really wanted a 3 piece linen suit you could get one made but I think it would be a rare suit indeed.

Speaking of 3 pieces suits I have the following-

Montague Burton in brown check tweed
Harris Tweed in Atlantic blue herringbone
John G Hardy in olive green with subdued orange check

These tend to be my Sunday suits or 'gig' suits.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Surely this is a contradiction in terms? Linen suits are worn in two pieces, and then only on really hot days? I'm sure if you really wanted a 3 piece linen suit you could get one made but I think it would be a rare suit indeed.

Speaking of 3 pieces suits I have the following-

Montague Burton in brown check tweed
Harris Tweed in Atlantic blue herringbone
John G Hardy in olive green with subdued orange check

These tend to be my Sunday suits or 'gig' suits.

There's no rule saying linen has to be worn in two pieces. It's not very common these days but there's no reason why you couldn't have a three piece linen suit or a double breasted linen suit. In areas where it's hot for prolonged periods of time people may want the sophistication of a three piece suit but the comfort of linen.

Sounds like you have a good collection of three piece suits coming along. I have one very nice dark grey checked 50s one by Jackson the Tailor, and a not quite so nice 1975 one which has no maker's label (though I have reason to believe it could be from Germany).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The down side of 3-piece suit is that it must "suit".
Off the shelves, or even worst on-line buying is a gamble with odds of pulling it through akin to those in most of Vegas' money spinners, unless you are of "standard" build.
Unless you are lucky enough to have a proper establishment near you where a tailor will measure you up before advising you on your off the shelf options. A few like that in London, thankfully... but at a cost ;)

Try ebay. There are at least four or five at the moment, dating between the 30s and the 60s.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Another option for a 3-piece:

In the US most upscale department stores will have manufacturer trunk sales in Spring/Fall where MTM can be ordered at the brands regular retail price. From Hart Schaffner Marx at the low end to Oxxford at the high end, with more than a dozen brands in between.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Or another option which I have yet to try would be to buy a two piece suit you like and then buy and extra pair or trousers. The fabric from the extra pair of trousers can then be turned into a waistcoat by a tailor.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars

It is a shame, but in all honesty, I must say that I like the fact that they're not as popular today as they were in those days; not just because I enjoy setting myself apart from what is universally regarded as the 'current' trend, but taking into account what these current trends are, it seems to me that the waistcoat would simply be one more thing for fashion designers to modernize and pervert to suit the tastes of today's generation.

I totally agree. They are hard to find, but the level of elegance they provide is amazing. And there are so few of them out there.

I have been lucky I guess as I have not had a really hard time with sizing however, when I can find a nice three piece, especially considering I am nowhere near a standard size. I am 5'10" and 195 lbs with a strongly tapered waist and thick legs. Yes, I used to work out a lot and that makes suit buying, um, special. But with the three pieces I have found, I have had the vest taken in and the rest fits pretty well.

ebb

New in Town
Yea, i do have 1 three piece. I wish i had third pieces for all my others. And i have started wearing a tie bar with mine. Really makes things snazzy. I never see anyone else wearing one. Hard to find too. I picked this one up for change at a local salvation army store. LOL, yep. Im sure there are some folks that might not know what a tie bar is. It holds your collar down and draws it in tight. Goes under your tie. I cant bare not to wear one since i have started. I notice people now that dont wear them. After seeing how much better it makes a shirt and tie look, the ones without them (almost everone) look so sloppy !!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
If only suit separates had more style. As in, any style.

All I can say is that American suits seem to have a lot more style than British ones. Here it's mostly peg-legged low rise flat fronted trousers, lapels which are barely existant and fabrics which are reflective. At least on your side of the Atlantic there's Jos A Banks who still make suits with proper fabric and properly fitting trousers (judging by their website at least).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn