Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

Alistar79

Familiar Face
It was the A-1 style jacket that brought me into these forums and seeing this modern day creation really is quite breathtaking.
But what butte saying is right you'd need to be quite the hipster to carry it off.
Any rockstar wearing this jacket would certainly grab my attention.

simonc

Practically Family
I had a 40's horse hide baseball jacket in that colour with cream knits, it was terrific. I'm sure you or your son could rock that.

I had a 40's horse hide baseball jacket in that colour with cream knits, it was terrific. I'm sure you or your son could rock that.
But that's the norm for such jackets. What we're talking about here is a pretty major departure from the originals. Don't get me wrong - I love the look of colored leather. I'm just not nearly hip enough to carry out the look.I hope someone here does though as I really want to see pics and the aging process.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I still can't escape the feeling that this will date pretty quickly. Classic colours/designs are timeless, but those pastel jackets, white baggy trousers, bold solid colours from the '80s look hideous now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the lighter knits look pretty dreadful with the blue - Ken's choice would work better. But I wouldn't over think these things. This blue will suit some people, it will not suit others. I think we'll be surprised by the range of people it looks okay on.

majormajor

One Too Many
The problem (for me) is looking at these "brand new" pics of the blue jackets. With a reasonable amount of wear, these things will look completely different.

Can someone at Thurston's get one dirty?:D;)

PS. I also agree with Ken re the colour of the knits.......

Yeah, I too think it's key to beat one up, get 'er dirty and then have a look. I'm sold on a darker knit with the blue. After all, the one we saw made by the Japanese fellers got everyone excited. There's potential under that Eddie Murphy look, just gotta beat it out! lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I too think it's key to beat one up, get 'er dirty and then have a look. I'm sold on a darker knit with the blue. After all, the one we saw made by the Japanese fellers got everyone excited. There's potential under that Eddie Murphy look, just gotta beat it out! lol

Impossible Eddie Murphy hasn't had a hit in YEARS!... (Ba dum bump)

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I used to wear a beat up blue bike jacket - ex motorbike cops. No one ever commented on the colour. Mind you it was a dark blue and had no knits. I wish I still had it.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
We need to be a little bolder. There are shades beyond brown and black. SJ

I don't disagree with the principle and welcome a wider palette, but inevitably as one gets older a solid, bold colour (in a daily wear jacket) simply makes the wearer look like a cartoon character or, worse IMHO, mutton dressed as lamb.
As I said earlier, on the Japanese 20-something model I'd consider it cool (plenty of the students on my campus would suit it perfectly), but with more years and a wider girth even he wouldn't necessarily carry it off so well.
JMO.

pipvh

Practically Family
Meanwhile I'm not sold on the Aero blue leather. It does look a bit 'fashion,' as my kids would say. For some reason the Mushmans looked more real, somehow (though neither one are for me). I used to have a blue Brimaco jacket which I liked but it just wasn't versatile enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic