Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie clip / tie bar

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
What about tie pins/tacs? I have managed to get my boyfriend into a tie every day, and i got him two tie pins, because he doesn't like the bars. You guys think maybe a neat Vintage bar might do the trick??[huh]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Lulu-in-Ny said:
What about tie pins/tacs? I have managed to get my boyfriend into a tie every day, and i got him two tie pins, because he doesn't like the bars. You guys think maybe a neat Vintage bar might do the trick??[huh]

Yes, I think it might. Frankly, myself and others don't like making our ties look like swiss cheese. Maybe he's one of those guys. It's worth a shot. [huh]

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
My favorite one:
clips001.jpg

I really like that US Air Corps one, Thunder! (At least, that's what it looks like.) I don't think it would have been a uniform item but it's pretty cool.

Cheers,
Tom

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
I really like that US Air Corps one, Thunder! (At least, that's what it looks like.) I don't think it would have been a uniform item but it's pretty cool.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom, it is indeed a USAAC clip. I'm also guessing it wouldn't have been a uniform item but rather a post-service "souvenir".

Ugarte

A-List Customer
thunderw21 said:
Yes, I think it might. Frankly, myself and others don't like making our ties look like swiss cheese. Maybe he's one of those guys. It's worth a shot. [huh]

I hate the way most tie tacks look and the fact that they require a hole, but I love to attach them to the keeper loop behind the fat part of the tie so that they don't show at all. Once the bar is threaded through the buttonhole you get all the benefits of retention without the appearance of the tack.

Mark

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here are a couple new tie bars I bought for my husband. We do reenacting for 1933-1934 so these are great!

This one was supposed to be a 1933 tie bar and hair barrette. They are souvenirs from the Chicago World's Fair. Turned out the barrette was really a collar clip. So he made out like a bandit! They were in the original box and don't look like they were ever used.
fairtietack2.jpg

This one is a 1934 tie bar also from the Chicago World's Fair
1ab9_1.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
JEEP said:
Just got this beauty in the mail today:

Slipsenl02.jpg

It's silver plated - and my guess is that is is from the 20s or 30s.

/Jakob

That's lovely--it looks like it was inspired by Georg Jensen's designs.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I like tie bars, and wear one on occasion, should more often. But, I really don't like tie TACKS... Just really think they look TACKY..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot