Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Storage

Cedar good & bad! Here is the question, cedar which has some pretty heavy duty chemicals and aromatics as part of the wood, is used to repel the buggy-bugs. However, are they safe enough for the fabric to actually be touching it? I am afraid if the cedar touches the fabrics or is too close it may damaged the ties like foxing and stains on vintage paper items.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Also, if you're like me and have quite a collection of ties. It would get expensive fast to keep dropping $20 on cedar drawers that only hold around 12 ties.

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Same problem

I have the same situation and haven't found a good solution. I don't like the idea of rolling my ties up though. I have gone to mostly bow ties for the past few years, but I still have ny long ties on coat hangers and the racks that attach to the wall which fold flat to save space. The problem is that if you put 2-3 ties on each hook, they can't fold out of the way.

I would love to find a better tie rack.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Best tie rack I've ever found

I just bought this on eBay for $10. I freely spins 360 degrees. Holds 24 ties. Ties are each easily individually accessible and hang over nice soft pads (which they can't slide off of), ties hang naturally, no kinks or wrinkles, and you can see them all too, especially being able to spin the rack, you can spin it to the side to see your ties better. Takes up less space on your garment bar than a shirt or pair of pants. Contrary to my concerns prior to getting it, it's very easy to remove and replace ties at "the bottom of the pile". It's all metal and has two belt hooks as well. I'm very happy. Well designed well made.

tierack.jpg

tierack2.jpg

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Recovering OCD sufferer

Baron Kurtz said:
That's what i've got, and wish to replace. It has begun to annoy me somewhat. You on the lookout for another? ;)

bk
LOL. I have had numerous personal transformations in the last year. One has been getting over obsessive compulsive behavior. A year and a half ago, I must I admit I would have found this rack unacceptably messy. Anymore, I just try to "let things go." I'm a nicer person for it. And not so many headaches.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Here's what I keep my ties in. One of the small vintage Samsonite cases. I keep it flat up on my wardrode, so it looks cool sitting out and moths can't get in.I just have to fold them one more time than hanging but they are not squished. It's also were I keep all my tie bars, braces, handkerchiefs etc. It has that fabric barrier between the two sides.

th_samsonitesmall.jpg

otterhound

One of the Regulars
I've been hanging them on a tie rack in my closet and the ones I don't wear often get a layer of dust on them. I need a better solution too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR