Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing Wool/Cashmere?

Spartcom5

New in Town
Hey guys until recently I became aware of clothes moths and carpet beetles after one of sweaters was eaten. I have been acquiring more and more cashmere and wool items and I'm trying my best to protect them. I don't think I have an infestation because I never see anything except for an occasional carpet beetle larvae on the wall. I bought these http://www.containerstore.com/s/natural-cotton-peva-storage-bags/d?productId=10000164&q=sweater bag to store my sweaters and scarves in... Should these be good to go? Should I get some cedar to put inside them? Reading some reviews it seems people say they work to protect against pests. Anyone have any suggestions? Will these work in protecting peacoats? http://www.containerstore.com/s/natural-cotton-single-garment-bags/d?productId=10000082&q=garment bag Also any suggestions on some nice wide shoulder hangers?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Anyone have any suggestions? Will these work in protecting peacoats?

I would recommend using stackable polypropylene or polyester storage boxes with airtight lids. Use silica gel or other desiccant to keep the humidity inside the box around 50 % RH. Clothes moth and mold grow relatively fast when the humidity is at or over 70 % RH.

Remember to inspect, clean and dry the clothing items before putting them inside airtight boxes!

Should I get some cedar to put inside them?

Red cedar doesn't prevent the moths laying eggs, but merely prevents them of eating the (dirty) fibres. It is more cost effective to prevent the moths reaching the fibres altogether and keeping them clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24