Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for an A2 - Help me Guys !

KevG

New in Town
OK

I have my Cordovan Highwayman

I have my Wested ROLA in dark brown Lamb

And now I have the bug....would love an A2

Narrowed it down to Eastman and Aero

Really don't want to start an ELC vs Aero thread, but would appreciate hints, tips and recommendations

Cheers
Kev

blethook

One of the Regulars
Between the two my preference would be Aero...

While Eastman pays more attention to details (immitating the details of the originals), I find their jackets to be a bit "sterile", or "too perfect." The sewing on Eastman is very straight & perfect, making it look like they were made by robots (at least to me).

Aero also allows you to "mix & match" to create "your own" A-2 if you care less about authenticity. For example, you can have an Aero 1938 A-2 in goatskin with contrasting thread colour (e.g., straw), which obviously did not exist originally.

As far as hides are concerned, again Aero has some of the most amazing hides out there. You can order any colour you want, not necessarily something that's historically correct. I would say eastman's Warhorse = Aero's smooth hide, to start with.

In any case since you're in the UK you can ask either one of them to send you a test jacket to try on. Also ask them to send hide samples.

Hope this helps

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would recommend the current ELC A2s. The new .50 Cal is made from cowhide and has a fantastic grain. The stitching on mine is not as "perfect" as on some of their earlier jackets. They make all their A2s with a time-worn look now. I own an awesome Rough Wear 1401p, which is made from grainy warhorse hide and has a time-worn look too. Here are some pics from two earlier threads.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34024

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32205&page=2

CBI

One Too Many
My 5th Goodwear will arrive tomorrow. Re-consider GW. I plan on selling all ELC's and Aeros after I get this one. I have been wearing my GW's, ELC's and Aero's lately (finally cool enough and the GW's lok so much nicer). I don't need to sell but I am always reaching for the GW's. Since you are considering Aero, sounds like you don't mind a wait. If between ELC and Aero, ELC gets more of the details right but Aero's hides have a bit more character. However, I just received my GW Aero contract and it beats anything I have seen Aero do in the A-2 area. My ability to post pics is down right now (I can't load from camera on to the computer). Don't get me wrong, I am an ELC andf Aero fan but my satisifaction level wiht GW continues to go even higher. Best of luck.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Aero will let you customize just about anything on your jacket., I found ELC to be much more interested in sticking to the authentic designs when I spoke to them about a highly customized jacket.

So, if customization is of importance then I think Aero wins hands down...otherwise I cant help much as I have never seen an ELC in person

JanSolo

Practically Family
Do you want a true replica of an existing contract or do you want a good and sharp looking A-2 jacket? I have to agree with other fellow forumers that Aero does do a lot of customization on special request. Last year a friend of mine ordered an Aero 1938 contract A-2 in oil-pull HH with cotton drill lining and I really have to say that this jacket is plain beautiful. I know it's not authentic (It doesn't even have the contract label inside due to the serious alterations of the original design) but it is so nice and has developed such a huge amount of character!! The fit is awesome and the workmanship is oustanding. (I can't praise Edith more...) Here's a photo of my custom ANJ-3 in vintage FQ HH. It's not an A-2 but it might give you an idea of how a jacket can look like that hasn't been manufactured to the original specs, i.e. seal spray finish goatskin.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2966902892_282aed3235.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2966052551_f7421213c5.jpg?v=0
Cheers.

KevG

New in Town
Not sure about customization was tending to go for something authentic, but then again did see the thread where the guy had posted a pic of his seal brown aero with straw stitching that looked amazing. Not making it easy on myself am I ?

One question I do have, is that I would like my next jacket to have a bit move 'give' compared to my Highwayman that is proving tough to break in. Is the HH they use for their A2's a little more supple ?

Another thing, I live about an hour and a half from Duxford and I believe that ELC might have Jackets for sale at the museum there - anyone know if that's the case ? Just going to there website to try and confirm this (will also check out the Goodwear site)

Burnsie

KevG said:
Not sure about customization was tending to go for something authentic, but then again did see the thread where the guy had posted a pic of his seal brown aero with straw stitching that looked amazing. Not making it easy on myself am I ?

Might have been mine?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33086
As for the leather the HH used on the A-2s is more supple than the Front Quarter super stiff hide.
To add to the chorus, Aero's hides are second to none...if you can excuse some devil-in-the-details authenticity issues...

Here's one of my Aero's that's a little different..hidewize...

100_0418.jpg

100_0428.jpg

HD

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
CBI said:
My 5th Goodwear will arrive tomorrow. Re-consider GW. I plan on selling all ELC's and Aeros after I get this one. I have been wearing my GW's, ELC's and Aero's lately (finally cool enough and the GW's look so much nicer). I don't need to sell but I am always reaching for the GW's. Don't get me wrong, I am an ELC andf Aero fan but my satisifaction level with GW continues to go even higher. Best of luck.

Sadly with the pound going from $2.01 to $1.54 it has made buying foreign a less attractive option than before. A GW now costs 25% more than it did just a few months ago - and we are in recession :eek:

Dave

KevG

New in Town
Burnsie said:
Might have been mine?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33086
As for the leather the HH used on the A-2s is more supple than the Front Quarter super stiff hide.
To add to the chorus, Aero's hides are second to none...if you can excuse some devil-in-the-details authenticity issues...

Yes Bernsie, it was yours !

Great looking Jacket

OK, I've decided not to go OTT with authentic and go for an Aero.

Price is good too. Yep, the current exchange rate if I went with GW is too cruel.

Just need to spend the week deciding on hide / colour, model and size.

My highwayman is 46 so I will need to check if the A2 should be the same size.

Also need to decide on patches or not - I guess they fix them to the jacket for you (?)

Many thanks for all your help so far

Kev

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
sideshowjoe said:
CBI,
Please PM me about any Eastman A-2's you might want to sell.
Thanks,
sideshowjoe

Bartender note: You cannot receive private messages until you have reached fifteen posts.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge.

CBI

One Too Many
I am not yet in a position/ready to sell my ELC' and Aeros. For one thing, I can't load any photos from my camera to my computer. thanks

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, the exchange rate does change things a bit. Even makes ELC and Aero more tempting for US buyers. Thank god I able to keep myself away from Aero's non-military I always liked Aero Leather Real Deal A-2. Great "lesser" period HH, a nice looking jacket and with the current rates, a GREAT buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo