Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

time outs!?

Shirin

A-List Customer
I'm just curious why FL kicks me out if I have been non-active for a few moments. I'm serious, I went downstairs to make a cup of tea, and returned back, was only gone for about 3 or 4 minutes and I'm already booted out. Why is the time out here so fast?
It happens to me all the time.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I too think it's related to your local settings. What Browser do you use? Have you tried more than one? Also, when you say 'kicks me out' what exactly do you mean?

If you look at the little "quick logon" box at top right when you're not logged in, you'll see a little box labeled "Remember Me?" Tick that box, and it'll buy you more time. Or, there's the lazy way: IIRC, there's a setting in user options about "length of login", and I always set mine to "Forever", since anyone else trying to access the laptop I'm posting from, well...

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Unauthorized usage of this laptop may be hazardous to your health or fatal.
By which I mean, only set up a perma-login if you're the only one who ever uses that machine...

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Anakin's Dark Deeds
via FoxyTunes

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting the question, Shirin, and thanks for posting a solution, Diamondback.
I've had that happen also. One time I wrote( and wrote) a long reply, looking up info while I did and when pushed "post" I was told I was logged off and lost my post.:rage:
I suppose that is what I get for being so long winded.:rolleyes:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Quite welcome.

On the other hand, I have to deal with unreliable WiFi Internet connections that can die with little to no warning, so if I really want my best work to be posted/PM'ed, I'll type it offline in Notepad, manually typing in the codes ['b]['/b] for bold, ['i]['/i] for italic at each end of the text to be so formatted (remove the ' which I inserted so the tags'd display), and then start the reply or Private Message as usual then Copy/Paste my text in. NOTE: Before you Copy, you must turn Word Wrap off in Notepad--not applicable from Word, but I prefer NP to remind me I have to manually add the tags and can't just highlight text and click formatting and have it carry over.

Also, sometimes if you hit the "Back" button in your browser, it'll take you back to a point where you can copy the text of your failed post, then log back in and paste it.

Or sometimes it's easier to just get a post up, then edit and re-edit to add to it--as I've done here.lol

----------------
Now playing: Brad Fiedel - Future Flashback - Terminator Infiltration
via FoxyTunes

Shirin

A-List Customer
Wonderful Diamondback. Thanks! And thanks to the others who answered, but it doesn't have anything to do with my computer or bandwidth. I've never had this happen on any other social site, only here. I'm going to go and change those settings which you were referring to....but where would I find it?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shirin said:
it doesn't have anything to do with my computer or bandwidth. I've never had this happen on any other social site, only here.
It happens to me here as well. It has also happened to me on two other forums that I visit but when the administrators were apprised of the situation they made it go away.

I just went through the options, and must have been thinking of different boardware, but clicking "Remember Me" still works here.

Since a picture's worth a thousand words...
permalogin.jpg

You should see something like this at the top right when you first arrive at the Lounge. The box you need to tick is marked with that little red arrow. (which I shoulda made a little bigger in retrospect)

You'll still have to login every so often depending on the interval MK has that option set for, but it should take at least a couple weeks.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Duel Of The Fates
via FoxyTunes

Shirin

A-List Customer
I think somebody fixed it. I didn't do anything and now I'm able to stay logged in. Yay! Thanks mystery time-out saver, who ever you are.:eusa_clap :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay