Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time to share: obosolete style Vanson Swedish motorcycle jacket

Have worn one of these Vansons (save summers) over a decade, many miles.
smc-w_bike-frnt.jpg

Drat, no longer made, and my size all sold out. Get the Pecards! Well, more normal size people on the Lounge can take advantage of this source (and at $375.00 USD, less than I paid!):
"A great cold weather jacket styled after the Swedish Police model features a full double-breasted front with leather map pocket. Lightweight rayon lining, high rise mandarin snap collar, zip down sleeves and 2 hand pockets. All black hardware with marine-grade Delrin zippers.
SMC men's (34-42)
Available with rayon lining
These are discontinued Items.
Sizes are limited and subject to change,
re-orders are not available.
If it is not in stock you're not completely out of luck. Call us for a consultation as there are newer styles that have replaced most of these discontinued motorcycle riding jackets."
http://www.vansonleathers.com/obsolete_products/obsolete_styles_2006.htm#Swedish0

John Lever

One Too Many
Why O why do manufactures insist on completely ruining original jackets by adding hand warmer pockets !!??
I have an original jacket from the 50's. It looks so much better without the side pockets.
It 's a great design apart from the time needed to put it on .

Swedelk007.jpg

Swedelk002.jpg

Swedelk003.jpg

Utility over looks?

John Lever said:
Why O why do manufactures insist on completely ruining original jackets by adding hand warmer pockets !!??
I have an original jacket from the 50's. It looks so much better without the side pockets.
It 's a great design apart from the time needed to put it on .
Great jacket and photos - thanks!
My guess would be that Vanson's clients such as myself are motorcyclists who find the convenience of "handwarmer" pockets winning out over historical accuracy. To me, everyone has a different picture in their mind's eye when they turn the mental dictionary to the word motorcycle. The sport can be very tradition bound - to multiple, different traditions, "Cafe", "Dual-Sport", "American Iron", etc. ("extreme" riding circus TV hype notwithstanding), and modifications with a nod to practicality are familiar. Vanson's ad copy which reads "based on" is honest and open. I opted for the zipper version too. Just got a surplus canvas version with buttons/straps instead of toggles.

Even in SoCal I've been on rides where it was so cold (SoCal Norton Owner's Club "All British" ride in Nov.) you would lay your leather gloves on the exhaust pipes to warm them up! Nice to have pockets to stuff your mitts into. Also the ability to have a handy pocket to whip a hanky out of to wipe visor or goggles of bugs/debris. Or to contain a wrench to "accidentally" drop when some knucklehead is trying to park his car on your rear tire on the freeway.

John Lever

One Too Many
I'm sure your jacket is beautifully made and fits it's purpose very well. I only wish that they made one without hand warmer pockets for me !
PS. ever considered heated grips ?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dontcha like how Vanson calls its back styles obsolete - not just "discontinued" as in "no longer made," but as in "no longer useful and maybe even dangerous for the cyclist?"

Vanson makes a nice looking black A-2, but they're just about impossible to find except at full retail. Their dealer network is tightly controlled, and their customers must not have any use for the style, because they never turn up secondhand.

obsolete

Fletch said:
Dontcha like how Vanson calls its back styles obsolete - not just "discontinued" as in "no longer made," but as in "no longer useful and maybe even dangerous for the cyclist?"

Vanson makes a nice looking black A-2, but they're just about impossible to find except at full retail. Their dealer network is tightly controlled, and their customers must not have any use for the style, because they never turn up secondhand.
Perhaps a reference to "Team Obsolete",
http://www.teamobsolete.com/
Coleman52.jpg

a vintage motorcycle racing team. Dave Roper, anyone? Seen a video of him passing modern bikes at the Isle Of Man TT on a vintage single at DIZZY MAKING speeds.
Perhaps they never turn up second hand because their owners keep them and are buried in them?
Yes, dealer network tightly controlled. If in L.A., see "Palais De Mode" which I think may have more stock than the factory (at one time)!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars

I happened across an all black (including mouton) Vanson flight jacket they call the "Flying Fortress" as found here: http://www.webike.net/sd/1861171/

Don't think I've seen it elsewhere, thought it looked interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart