Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Traveler spotted at the 1928 Chaplin film "The Circus"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
^ wow.... I don't even know what to say......

There's a memorable scene in that film. "H.G. Wells" wanders into a McDonald's, gets in line, and doesn't recognize anything on the menu. He hears a big, burly redneck ahead of him order a bunch of stuff in a strong Southern drawl. When Wells's turn comes to order, he repeats the redneck's words -- drawl and all.

The food arrives. Wells looks at the "fries" (a term he doesn't know) and shouts out in delight: "Oh! Pommes frites!!"

Last edited:

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Back in time to the original post for a moment. In the slow, zoomed in shot the device at her ear clearly looks like a telephone handset of the era. Now I'm no Einstein, but if time travel were possible and you brought some type of communication device with you, wouldn't you make it look like a period correct communication device? He/she probably forgot the instruction to stand in a phone booth while using the device.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm tired of seeing modern people time-traveling. Show me someone from 1066 or 1492 walking around downtown Los Angeles; that would be much more interesting.

What about these guys?

caponegrabbbb.jpg

I'm tired of seeing modern people time-traveling. Show me someone from 1066 or 1492 walking around downtown Los Angeles; that would be much more interesting.

Would you settle for San Dimas? :p
Joan of Arc, Beethoven, Billy the Kid, Socrates, Sigmund Freud, Genghis Khan and Abraham Lincoln at "San Dimas Mall."

[video=youtube;H2DeBG7pAXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2DeBG7pAXU[/video]

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
People throughout the world have pondered Robertson’s psyche for almost a century, ever since that fateful April night in 1912 when the HMS Titanic slipped into the icy depths of the North Atlantic.

Robertson had written a book of fiction, called “Futility,” about an unsinkable British ocean liner named the Titan that hits an iceberg in the North Atlantic in April and sinks, taking hundreds to the bottom of the ocean.

Robertson’s book about the Titan was published in 1898 — 14 years before the Titanic left Southampton, England, for New York City.

Similarly, people have wondered about a fictional book Robertson had published in 1914 that told of a Japanese attack on Hawaii. But more about that later.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/the_strange_tale_of_an_oswego.html

Blackjack

One Too Many
Well I guess there "were" cell phones in the 20's!!!!!

[video=youtube;ILiLaRXHUr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ILiLaRXHUr0[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo