Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tin Caps all around!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The Fort Wayne Wizards Single A baseball team gets a new downtown stadium and a new name.

TinCaps.jpg

Rider

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
Is this all somehow supposed to tie in with Johnny Appleseed? Or what???

Bingo. Fort Wayne has a Johnny Appleseed Festival annually. I believe we are the burial place of the chap.

The city is building a new downtown stadium with an adjacent hotel, parking garage, and condominums that will allow owners to sit on thier balconies and watch the ballgame. City leaders have fantasies (delusions?) that the downtown stadium will be the impetus for revitalizing downtown Fort Wayne. Nevermind you that there are more empty than filled sits at most games in the current stadium. I understand that the condos aren't exactly selling like hotcakes either.

Owners decided to rebrand the team. The name "Wizards" had no connection to the city so after a naming contest "Tin Caps" was selected.

At least our new mascot will be wearing a hat -- well, a pan anyway. :eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I predict confusion and derision. Johnny Appleseed was a cool and fascinating character, but I just get a feeling that this ain't gonna come off.
I still love the old Disney short cartoon about him from the 1948.
For those that don't know, Johnny Appleseed was born John Chapman (1774 - 1845) in western Pennsylvania. He decided that the best way to spread his belief in the Swedenborgian religion was to plant apple orchards across the American frontier, which he did for the rest of his life. One of those legendary American characters who actually were real people. He was famous for using his cookpot for a hat.
Maybe they should have called the team the Appleseeds. I also wonder why the little apple fellow mascot looks so pissed off! Not very Swedenborgianistic. They preached a very gentle form of Christianity.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Also, according to Michael Pollan in the Botany of Desire, these orchards, since they were grown from seeds, did not produce edible apples. Rather, the apples were used to make hard cider and Chapman made a boatload of money selling the orchards .

Rider

Familiar Face
KObalto said:
Also, according to Michael Pollan in the Botany of Desire, these orchards, since they were grown from seeds, did not produce...

Well, in that case the name "Tin Caps" is the perfect name afterall. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21