Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TINTIN! The Motion Picture!

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
No, Struppi doesn't mean anything in German as far as I know

Just remembered there's something called dict.leo.org which is handy when it comes to translating German.

There it states, as you say, there is no direct translation of 'Struppi', but it does offer a similar word of 'struppig' which it translates into 'shaggy' (amongst a few other words). That may be where the name came from as Snowy (as I would know him) is a bit on the shaggy side.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Does 'Struppi' translate to anything in English?

I just had a quick look on Google Translate and it translates 'Stuppi' to 'Tintin'!! :eusa_doh:

No, Struppi doesn't mean anything in German as far as I know

The name 'Struppi' might have been derived from the German word 'struppig', meaning shaggy, fuzzy or scrubby...

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a pretty nice computer game. Oh wait..... It's a movie? I just see the deep uncanny village and wish they made a decision wether to do a cartoon or movie with real actors. The backgrounds look nice but I dislike the look of the faces, the eyes, the noses!

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I loved Tintin when I was younger, but I'm not sure about the art style - Their faces look lifeless and without expression - A bit Polar Express!

I'll still go and see it though.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
.... wish they made a decision whether to do a cartoon or movie with real actors.

Agree with you 1000 percent. Furthermore, "Tintin" characters don't look so over-the-top that they can't be played by real actors with a minimum of prosthetic makeup. There are plenty of people in the world who look like Captain Haddock, the Thompson twins (not the musical group!), etc.

The characters in this movie are just shy of looking grotesque.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely. I get the feeling that Spielberg was trying too hard to be true to the comic books. I'd have prefered a film with real actors as well. As it is the overall visual style looks too strained, especially the characters. And Tintin himself looks like a schoolboy that has to be put to bed after supper.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
... and that's a big pity, because the greatest strengths of the Tintin series are its characters and plots. The drawings, though fantastic, come third.

This movie shouldn't so strongly be about visual gimmickry.

I think the unique visual style of the original comic books with it's crisp, clean lines was very important to their success. Spielberg tried to add something but instead he ended up taking away.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the unique visual style of the original comic books with it's crisp, clean lines was very important to their success. Spielberg tried to add something but instead he ended up taking away.
:eusa_clap Yes. The famous Ligne Claire. The style is still very popular among comic artists today without looking too dated.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Blake and Mortimer is another fine example of that style.

Blake_and_Mortimer.png

You know, it's funny. In a way Hergé was the Karl May of comic books. All his stories are set in some of the most exotic places in the world but he himself never really travelled anywhere. He took all his information and inspiration from his vast collection of books, photos and newspapers.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
tin tin?

the only tin tin i know is the rin tin tin the adorable dog .... German Shepherd he was (German: Deutscher Schäferhund)

what .... is there another rin tin tin out there? :noidea:

Dan'l

Practically Family
The wife and I saw the trailer for the first time last night on CBS. I had never heard of TinTin until this thread was started and my wife until last night. We're both excited by what we saw. We'll probably take our son, four years old, with us to see this one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was going to write pretty much what Dan'l said. I'll just add that when I saw the trailer on TV, the visual style of animation looked like nothing I've seen thus far and I didn't know what to make of it.

As for 'struppi,' it sounds a little like the Yiddush 'shtuuping,' or 'shtupping' (without the accent) which means 'intercourse,' or if you're an Austin Powers fan, 'shagging,' which sounds a lot like 'shaggy' to me.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Never been a huge Tintin's fan; anyway, I feared that the adaptation would be worse than what I see in the trailers. Changing two-dimensional, cartoonesque characters in something more realistic isn't easy task.

As for the names, in Italy we used the original french names: cultural proximity, I thing; so I'm used to Milou, Dupont & Dupond etc. :)

ericwills85

Banned
The Adventure Of TinTin, its quite an exciting movie and kids will love it too. For all adult fans who used to read TinTin's Adventure comic book during childhood days, I think its a must see movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace