Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tip for the wetshavers here...

panamag8or

Practically Family
I was reading on another forum about something called "corking" a DE blade. You take a new blade and run it through a cork, or a piece of dense styrofoam. It takes all the little burrs and imprfections from the edge, without compromising the sharpness. It basically gives you that second or third-shave feel, right from the start.

I tried it with a feather blade in my Merkur Slant, and I didn't have to endure that scary first-shave experience, as it felt "broken-in".

Take your blade, and cut into the cork in a slicing motion, pulling the blade towards you. Once or twice is all it takes, acting like a stropping for your blade.

Try it the next time you change a blade.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I've become somewhat interested in different shaving methods. I have of course been born into a family of men that shaved dry because they learned that during the wars (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) that they had been in. However, only until recently have I started shaving with a modern 'disposable' and I'm thinking of going back to straight edge. Now, I still don't want to accidentally give myself a Columbian necktie...but I was curious how many men shave with a straight edge everyday. Your thoughts?

FG.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
scomce said:
I have not heard of that before. But it does give me an excuse to uncork a bottle of wine!

Careful, an open bottle of wine and a steel blade at your throat is a recipe for the mother of all shaving nicks. Might take an entire roll of toilet paper to stop the bleeding.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I've tried it and didn't notice any difference.
Razor blades are run through a series of operations which grind, sharpen and hone the edge. Anything done to the blade beside installing it in the razor then taking it out to bin it are more likely to degrade the edge then enhance it.:rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
FedoraGent said:
I've become somewhat interested in different shaving methods. I have of course been born into a family of men that shaved dry because they learned that during the wars (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) that they had been in. However, only until recently have I started shaving with a modern 'disposable' and I'm thinking of going back to straight edge. Now, I still don't want to accidentally give myself a Columbian necktie...but I was curious how many men shave with a straight edge everyday. Your thoughts?

FG.

Quite a few folks round here - try a search for shaving-related threads in General Attire & Accoutrements. In addition to the website mentioned above, there's also Badgerandblade.com (I think that's it) forum. Myself, I prefer a safety razor - don't like the idea of fiddling with an old school straight blade, too likely to slice my own head off! The Safety razro gives me a much better shave than a modern cartridge razor; only reason I still keep one of the latter around is for shaving my head, it being impossible to get the right angle so as to shave without slicing onesself over the top of the bonce and round the back (as I found out to my own cost!). Very occasionally when in a total rush I run the cartridge razor over my chin in the morning, but normally I stick with the safety razor. I enjoy the ritual of using the soap and brush, not to mention the much better shave!

norton

One of the Regulars
I inherited a very fine whetstone thats about 2" X 3" and has a concave top surface (like a half pipe). The direction sheet that's in the box says that it is used to sharpen up a double sided razor blade. You lay the blade in the concave portion so the edges are supported by the slope but the center of the blade bridges the valley and lightly move the blade in a circular motion to sharpen. I suspect that this was used before the blades were stainless steel and tended to corrode more quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters