Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic auction features witness account

Titanic auction features witness account

capt.a703e85561bc44259ae8ab0f5ec2133b.titanic_memoribilia_sale_nyr201.jpg

NEW YORK - In eight handwritten pages, a 16-year-old passenger recounted the Titanic's last hours, starting with the moment the ill-fated oceanliner hit an iceberg.

From a lifeboat, Laura Marie Cribb watched the luxurious vessel's lights go out and listened to the "most terrible shrieks and groans from the helpless and doomed passengers who were left on the wreck of the great ship."

Her account, written soon after the disaster, fetched $16,800 at a Christie's auction of Titanic memorabilia Thursday. The 18 lots — including letters, postcards, telegrams from survivors and photographs of passengers — sold for a total of $193,140.

The Titanic, the world's largest passenger steamship at the time, was on its maiden voyage when it struck an iceberg on April 14, 1912, and sank early on the following day. At least 1,496 people were killed.

Cribb, a third-class passenger from Newark, N.J., was rescued by the RMS Carpathia, but her father perished.

The deck log from cable ship SS MacKay-Bennett, the second ship on the scene after the Carpathia, was up for auction at a pre-sale estimate of $30,000 to $50,000. It sold for $102,000.

The auction also included the ship's first-class passenger list, which bears such prominent New York names as Astor, Guggenheim and Straus. The list sold for $48,000, topping a pre-sale estimate of $15,000 to $20,000.

All prices include a 20-percent buyer's premium.

Artifacts from another famous shipwrecked luxury liner, the Andrea Doria, were also auctioned. Christie's also sold items such as silverware and posters from the Normandie, a French oceanliner that capsized and burned in New York Harbor during World War II.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'm with Nikki, how'd I miss this? The journal reminds me a lot of Jack Thayer's observations/drawings/writing on the sinking. I didn't know that this one existed!

Warden

One Too Many
A tiny key that might have helped prevent the Belfast-built Titanic sinking has fetched £90,000 at auction.

_44097651_titanic_crowsnest203.jpg

See BBC news story here

Harry

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One of the lookouts on the Titanic told an inquiry into the sinking that with the binoculars the Titanic might have been able to dodge the iceberg.

On the difference the binoculars might have made, lookout Fred Fleet said: "Well, enough to get out of the way."

Ya' think. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn