Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrBlue44

New in Town
That is a good looking jacket @KBlake !

Still haven't decided to what to do for my 40th birthday jacket but I've ordered samples from FS and will shortly be ordering samples from Aero. I did email SB but it has been 6 days and they haven't responded so far, so not hopeful. Plus if they can't respond to a simple email it makes me worry about their customer service. I once bought a jacket from BK, that I later sold, and the lack of customer service infuriated me to no end. Don't want to go through that again.

It looks like my choice will either be between a custom FS jacket or a non custom Aero jacket (since Aero doesn't do custom jobs at all, the most they will do is customize the length of the jacket).

I know this thread is full of people having bad experiences of FS jackets, but then you have some people who have good experiences like KBlake. And I guess I'm wondering whether, if I specify things EXACTLY, whether I will end up with something good for the price.

It will be interesting to compare the leather samples from Aero to that of FS. I know the Aero leather is better, but I'd be keen to see if I can tell the difference myself. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if the problems people find with FS jackets are just because they are leather jacket experts. I am most definitely not an expert.

Why not just buy off the shelf from Aero? I could but... I don't know why but I'm wanting to make a specific kind of jacket that doesn't really exist.

A bit of background... I've always kinda wanted an A2. The jacket that I had BK make for me, that I then sold, was an A2 (a Dubow). But I've realized.... it has a certain coolness factor but it also has things about it that suck. Like the knits (don't like knits) and the fact that the waist pockets make it have an unflattering fit. I saw someone describe an A2 as fitting "presidential" and yeah, that kinda killed it for me. I don't want to look like Obama, Bush, Biden etc etc. No offense to them or anyone's politics!

So what I want is an A2 that isn't an A2. Which is a bit what the Indiana Jones jacket is, if you think about it, but it still has the waist pockets.

My idea:
Chest pockets from an M65
No knits
Side slash pockets/kidney pockets (like KBlake's jacket above)
Back like a Roadmaster(this specific jacket)
Epaulettes on shoulders (box stitching like the epaulettes of an A2 but maybe closing with a snap near the neck)
Collar something like that of a Roughwear but no collar snaps or throat latch
No wind flap
Three piece curved sleeves

Something like their brown pull up leather - thick and grainy.

So I'll make a decision once I've got the samples from FS and from Aero. If I decide to go with FS, I'll maybe ask this community's help in drafting the perfect request for FS so that it is detailed and exact without being 38 pages.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It will be interesting to compare the leather samples from Aero to that of FS. I know the Aero leather is better, but I'd be keen to see if I can tell the difference myself. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if the problems people find with FS jackets are just because they are leather jacket experts. I am most definitely not an expert.
One thing you won’t be able to tell from those samples is concistency throughout the jacket (thickness, grain, temper, color). Panel matching is not a skill 5* is known for. Even non-experts will be able to see / feel the difference though.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

Still haven't decided to what to do for my 40th birthday jacket but I've ordered samples from FS and will shortly be ordering samples from Aero. I did email SB but it has been 6 days and they haven't responded so far, so not hopeful. Plus if they can't respond to a simple email it makes me worry about their customer service. I once bought a jacket from BK, that I later sold, and the lack of customer service infuriated me to no end. Don't want to go through that again.

It looks like my choice will either be between a custom FS jacket or a non custom Aero jacket (since Aero doesn't do custom jobs at all, the most they will do is customize the length of the jacket).

I know this thread is full of people having bad experiences of FS jackets, but then you have some people who have good experiences like KBlake. And I guess I'm wondering whether, if I specify things EXACTLY, whether I will end up with something good for the price.

Why not just buy off the shelf from Aero? I could but... I don't know why but I'm wanting to make a specific kind of jacket that doesn't really exist.

A bit of background... I've always kinda wanted an A2. The jacket that I had BK make for me, that I then sold, was an A2 (a Dubow). But I've realized.... it has a certain coolness factor but it also has things about it that suck. Like the knits (don't like knits) and the fact that the waist pockets make it have an unflattering fit. I saw someone describe an A2 as fitting "presidential" and yeah, that kinda killed it for me. I don't want to look like Obama, Bush, Biden etc etc. No offense to them or anyone's politics!

So what I want is an A2 that isn't an A2. Which is a bit what the Indiana Jones jacket is, if you think about it, but it still has the waist pockets.

My idea:
No knits
Epaulettes on shoulders (box stitching like the epaulettes of an A2 but maybe closing with a snap near the neck)
No wind flap

So I'll make a decision once I've got the samples from FS and from Aero. If I decide to go with FS, I'll maybe ask this community's help in drafting the perfect request for FS so that it is detailed and exact without being 38 pages.
People are drawn to the idea of having 5* create a beautiful jacket that is full custom.
The risk is that they don’t deliver what you want and then you are essentially stuck.
My experiences advice: don’t order from them unless you are prepared to receive a dud. Expect it to be off somewhere, somehow. If it’s perfectly to your satisfaction, you win the lotto.
My feeling is, with Aero or other good quality manufacturer, you will have a higher chance of getting.exactly what you expect. Good luck!

KBlake

One Too Many

My idea:
No knits
No wind flap

If price isn’t a limiting factor you should go with Aero.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My idea:
No knits
No wind flap

This jacket seems like a pretty bizarre stew of elements that won't work well together. You want chest cargo pockets with an A-2 front, no knits, and a Perfecto back?

MrBlue44

New in Town
This jacket seems like a pretty bizarre stew of elements that won't work well together. You want chest cargo pockets with an A-2 front, no knits, and a Perfecto back?
Not an A2 front but A2 reminiscent because of the chest cargo pockets.

Not sure what other options I'd have for the back. I don't really like how half belts look from the back. Canonical bomber jacket backs tend to either be flat (A2) or somewhat like a half belt (G1). I could live with a G1 back I suppose.

I don't know why you think it's an odd mix of elements - everything would either be utilitarian or military. Chest pockets, epaulettes and collar - all military. Front side handwarmer pockets - very utilitarian. Cuffs - also utilitarian.

As for the back, I want an action back that isn't a half belt and also isn't too short like most motorbike jacket backs are.

Aloysius

Not an A2 front but A2 reminiscent because of the chest cargo pockets.

Not sure what other options I'd have for the back. I don't really like how half belts look from the back. Canonical bomber jacket backs tend to either be flat (A2) or somewhat like a half belt (G1). I could live with a G1 back I suppose.

I don't know why you think it's an odd mix of elements - everything would either be utilitarian or military. Chest pockets, epaulettes and collar - all military. Front side handwarmer pockets - very utilitarian. Cuffs - also utilitarian.

As for the back, I want an action back that isn't a half belt and also isn't too short like most motorbike jacket backs are.

Different utilitarian elements, when assembled together, can look simply bizarre. A labcoat with the length of a Perfect would be absurd for example.

Not sure I understand your point about the back. Your reference was a 5 Star copy of the Schott 519, which is a motorcycle jacket.

In any case, some quite cohesive (to my eye) handwarmer-cargo pocket combinations are the kind you'll see on Appalachian motorcycle jackets (look at Lost Worlds's repro for an example), the Aero Wilderness, and many Windwords.

El Marro

Still haven't decided to what to do for my 40th birthday jacket
You only turn 40 once so get yourself something nice. I think Johnson Leathers would be a great resource here because they can make any jacket that you could imagine. They also have the experience to shepard your project so that the end result fits well and looks good.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeah I wouldnt put my 40th birthday money into a 5-star… Get a Johnson Leather jacket and don‘t go too crazy with the design, buy something thats contemporary enough to still be wearable many years down the line. From what I gather you want a somewhat longer style jacket with patch pockets.. sounds a lot like the classic Barbour/Belstaff touring jacket.. maybe look there for inspiration..

Aloysius

From what I gather you want a somewhat longer style jacket with patch pockets.. sounds a lot like the classic Barbour/Belstaff touring jacket.. maybe look there for inspiration..

This was exactly my thought. If not for the price rise I would have immediately just recommended the Lewis Roadmaster.

MrBlue44

New in Town
Yeah I wouldnt put my 40th birthday money into a 5-star… Get a Johnson Leather jacket and don‘t go too crazy with the design, buy something thats contemporary enough to still be wearable many years down the line. From what I gather you want a somewhat longer style jacket with patch pockets.. sounds a lot like the classic Barbour/Belstaff touring jacket.. maybe look there for inspiration..
Just standard length not extra length and smaller patch pockets. M65 size not A2 size.

I might contact Johnson Leathers, my concern is how far away they are. How much does shipping cost to England?

Aloysius

Just standard length not extra length and smaller patch pockets. M65 size not A2 size.

I might contact Johnson Leathers, my concern is how far away they are. How much does shipping cost to England?

Surely that concern would apply even more to Pakistan? Shipping between the UK and US is not a massive issue I would think from my time living in each.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

My idea:
No knits
No wind flap

single rider epaulette m65 chest pockets.jpg

May I suggest American style cuffs. And full action back or any pleats that goes low enough. If you put a pair of cinch at the top of the kidney panel (where the half belt usually goes) you can get any straight zip (single rider) jacket to fit like half belts.

Depending on how you want it to fit you would just pick the straight zip (single rider) jacket that best fit you and then add the epaulets, M-65 chest pockets and the waist cinch if you want. This isn't a hard job, more like a stock jacket with pocket changes, any maker can do it, it comes to the material you want.

MrBlue44

New in Town
You only turn 40 once so get yourself something nice. I think Johnson Leathers would be a great resource here because they can make any jacket that you could imagine. They also have the experience to shepard your project so that the end result fits well and looks good.
How much would a Johnson Leathers jacket cost, roughly?

Aloysius

How much would a Johnson Leathers jacket cost, roughly?

Depends on whether they need to make a bespoke pattern for you or not. If you're essentially a stock size and they just need to do your pocket configuration on a standard jacket type like @Canuck Panda mentions, you're looking at Aero prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace