Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TIVO alert: The Thin Man

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
On Mon, 1/17, TCM is running The Thin Man at 7:30am, After the Thin Man at 9:30am and Another Thin Man at 6pm. All times are EST.

kamikat

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
A show of hands: who already owns "The Thin Man" on VHS or DVD?
Unfotunately, the rest of the series is not on DVD yet.
Luckily, "Libeled Lady" is coming out soon on DVD for all of us Powell and Loy fans. Since it is being put out by Warner Brothers it should have some fun bonus items.

As always, your obedient servant,
The Wolf

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hand up! I own The Thin Man on DVD, and the rest I have taped off of TCM. I'm hoping that with Libeled Lady coming out on DVD that we'll see a bunch more Powell/Loy films being released, but I'm not holding my breath.

Brad

Nick Charles

Practically Family
heres the skinny

Plot Summary for
The Thin Man (1934)

Young Dorothy Wynant approaches amateur sleuth Nick Charles when her inventor father appears to be a major suspect in a murder case. Nick's wife Nora wants him on the case so that she can experience some of the excitement herself. However, Nick is reluctant to get involved until he sees that police Lt. Guild is coming to the wrong conclusions. Nick decides that the best way to clear up the case is to invite all the suspects to dinner with Lt. Guild and see what happens.. :cheers1:

Fuente

Familiar Face
Have all 6 on Laser disc and VHS. I'm a bit 'yestertech' and have not yet gotten a DVD burner to switch from Laser to DVD.

Rich

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I caught TCM's marathon on 12-28, The Thin Man, After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, with the amazing TIVO at my parent's place.

It was first time watching any of them and they were great! I think The Shadow of the Thin Man is by the same director, right? Are those other ones after that also worth watching?

I have the book The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett. Have any of you read that?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Oh, they're all worth watching! Admittedly, the last two aren't quite as good. You're right, Shadow of the Thin Man was also directed by W.S. Van Dyke, aka, "One Take Woody." That's perhaps why the last two don't live up to the earlier ones. But they are still fun.

It's amazing how much of the dialogue from the book ended up in the movie. Doesn't happen much these days.

Brad

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
book and the movie "The Thin Man"

Yes, Mr. Scorpion, I have read the book by Hammett. The dates I put in December, counting down to New Year's, were from the book. I recommend reading "The Glass Key", "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Thin Man" after watching the film versions. I like all the films but they are different from the novels.
I enjoy all the Thin Man movies; even the worst William Powell is still enjoyable.

Yours truly,
The Wolf

P.S. Hammett wrote a long outline for the basis of "Another Thin Man". It was repeated in two issues of the new "Black Mask".

Fuente

Familiar Face
Also recommended

For those that enjoy The Thin Man series...check out the following two films,

The Star of Midnight, Wm Powell & Ginger Rogers in a Thin Man Style Movie released in 1935 between the 1st and 2nd Thin Man Movies.

The Ex Mrs Bradford, Wm Powell & Jean Arthur in another Thin Man style movie from 1936.

Both are terrific additions to the Thin Man genre

Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails