Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To all of you guys and gals with Ph. D's, Ed. D's, Ed. S's, etc.

Do you want an education or a vocation?

I’ll start off with my opinion and explain why: If you are looking for an education, I would say no. If you are looking for a vocation, I would say yes.

My background: I have a BA, MA, and MS all from Colorado State University – GO RAMS! When I finished my Master's programs, I was offered and accepted a full fellowship for my Ph.D. at the George Washington University – conservatively a $75K offer. My eyes firmly affixed on path to academia, it was an offer I could not refuse. After six years of toiling at it, I withdrew two years ago ABD and got my sanity back.

Many people have asked why and my answer generally is I learned everything I need to know in my Master’s programs. I went into the program thinking it was educational and instead was vocational. Some may argue that a Ph.D. is educational, it really isn’t. It is vocational – the focus is on mentoring you on the ways of the hallowed Ivy halls and in art and craft of research. Every Ph.D. I have asked said that the educational leap between a Master’s and a Ph.D. is virtually non-existent. So, the mentoring focuses on indoctrinating you on the often inane ways they split the world, how the games of university politics are played, how to publish your dissertation as a book or multiple journal articles, and how to fill the funding pipeline. The second half is vocational experience in the art and craft of research where you become adept more at the management process then the actual craft. Other mentoring takes place around how to manage a class room, present a paper at a conference, counsel undergraduate students, etc.

What drove me out of the Ph.D. program were two things. First was the realization that as a GS-14 in the Federal government, I was already making more then most of my professors. Second, the idiotic battle that took place among three different versions of my dissertation committee over what my dissertation should be about. I realized then that it was less about the pursuit of knowledge and more about the politics of the organization.

It may sound like I am bitter, but I am not. It was a wonderful experience, but not what I expected. That experience and the connections I made in the program allowed me to get a job making well north of anything I would have dreamed about 10 years ago. But the truth is, it wasn’t the education of a Ph.D. that got me here, it was the connections. Did I learn anything ground-breakingly new? No, not really.

Just because you don't have a Ph.D. doesn't mean you can't do all of the wonderful things professors do. I commonly speak before groups of 10 to 1,000+, I have conducted base research and have published over 25 documents and articles, and I have been quoted in the Times, the WSJ, the Washington Post, and in Business Week among others. All without a Ph.D. I would suggest you might want to take a look at an older book titled The Independent Scholar's Handbook, by Ronald Gross on Amazon to get an idea of what I mean.

What ever your choice, best of luck to you,

PR

Caledonia

Practically Family
Do it now. Why put it off for more expense and just to interrupt your life later. I didn't finish my degree at the usual round about 20 age. Now, when I'm doing one (43, finish when I'm 44 and running a consultancy at the same time), it is dragsville. And I think I'll be going for an MA or Phd after that! Why oh why did I not just stick it out earlier! Blue pill or red pill. Take the red pill and get it done! Best of luck and best of choices. You know what you want to do - just listen. ;)

You're right in that the PhD is vocational. It is professional training, and has very little to do with the classes. Classes are justa hoop for a PhD student to jump through. They are there, to put it simply, to test those (like me) who don't have a MS/MA before entering a PhD program.

The only real reason i found to complete a PhD is that the job i want to do pretty much requires one - unless you're some kind of uber-genius.

Where i disagree is in the notion that it's not about the pursuit of knowledge. What the dissertation committee is there to do is to make sure you're on the right track, and that you learn a bit about the kind of crud you'll have to deal with in the academic world. That either drives people away, or it doesn't bother them. Yes, the politics of the machine is inane and irritating. I chose to ignore it, jump through the hoops and pay my dues. Most of these hoops were ridiculous, in place simply to make me jump through them. But my attitude was 'gotta do what i gotta do'.

However, the over-riding truth i learned was that everything (outside the evil administrative side which is just there to steal student's money) was underpinned by the pursuit of knowledge; an innate inquisitiveness about a vast array of topics which i have not encountered outside the academic realm; and a high percentage of "renaissance men" - that is, multi-taskers, people who have multiple disparate interests and achieve within them all. Just the experience of being around these people made it all worthwhile.

bk

And when i say "pursuit of knowledge" i'm talking about the research side of things - knowledge you can't find in a book. Stuff that the PhD student is discovering and about which they write and publish papers. That was the true pursiot of learning during my tenure as a PhD student.

bk

Pilgrim

One Too Many
ProperRogue said:
Some may argue that a Ph.D. is educational, it really isn’t. It is vocational – the focus is on mentoring you on the ways of the hallowed Ivy halls and in art and craft of research. Every Ph.D. I have asked said that the educational leap between a Master’s and a Ph.D. is virtually non-existent. So, the mentoring focuses on indoctrinating you on the often inane ways they split the world, how the games of university politics are played, how to publish your dissertation as a book or multiple journal articles, and how to fill the funding pipeline. The second half is vocational experience in the art and craft of research where you become adept more at the management process then the actual craft. Other mentoring takes place around how to manage a class room, present a paper at a conference, counsel undergraduate students, etc.

PR

That's a great summary - the best I've ever seen. (It figures that it would come from a Ram - I'm an admin at CSU and it's a great school.)

But it's true - if you WANT to go into an academic or research position, the Ph.D. is the badge you need to enter the club. If you don't want to go that route, you probably don't need it.

If you do need it, free is good...and earning it now is better than earning it later.

Sinple as that. :D

Baron Kurtz said:
And when i say "pursuit of knowledge" i'm talking about the research side of things - knowledge you can't find in a book. Stuff that the PhD student is discovering and about which they write and publish papers. That was the true pursiot of learning during my tenure as a PhD student.

bk

Baron, I agree with you, some of the brightest and most inquisitive minds I have ever met were during my academic years. But I wasn’t so blind as to see those same minds heavily weighted by the rigors of the adminisphere (def – the lofty space above where all of those inane but important sound edicts come from) and the politics that left them culling for publications and funding and less in the pursuit of pure knowledge. I would quickly agree that there are a few who are successful in balancing, but they are few.

You can find this outside of the academic realm. I am lucky enough to work in such a place and belong to a master mind group that encourages such thinking and effort. But finding it is difficult, and even more difficult is finding the support – the true purpose of a university – to assist in that passionate pursuit of knowledge.

I would also argue that a Ph.D. isn't necessary to pursue knowledge – some of the greatest advances have come from people with out Ph.D.’s. Though much knowledge does flow from colleges and universities, even more comes from economically drive R&D efforts. For better or worse, even our hallowed institutions of church and university have fallen prey to the march of capitalism – an arena they were not intended for and can not compete in.

Cheers,

PR

absolutely, one of the most brilliant minds i know didn't graduate high school and certainly doesn't have a degree. Now a full professor. He got lucky in that someone recognised his potential and gave him a job as a post-doctoral researcher (clearly, without a doctorate).

However that is a clear outlier. Most of us require a doctorate to become professors on the tenure track . . .

bk

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
My hats off to you. I've just spent a grueling 18 months working on the dreaded Master of Education degree while running full time on a degree in English at IU (but don't rate my writing here!). I know better than anyone that you don't need the degree and fancy codes at the end of your name to prove your worth, but in my line of work that is the only way to get more pay.

Anyhow, is it worth the time and effort getting the Ph. D, Ed. D, or Ed. S.? I'm contemplating. I've got some opportunities at Indiana University (read FREE!), but I'm a bit burned out. I'd rather return to Ecuador and teach kids or at a university. I have enough of the initials behind my name now for their higher learning gods.

Any thoughts? Am I throwing away something I'll regret throwing away?

I never got a Ph D or advanced degree, but have had to make similar decisions about getting promoted and gaining greater diversity of work experience. In a nutshell, I chased the promotion $ and went from doing a job I loved, to one I didn't mind, to one I can't wait to retire from in 5 years. yes I made the extra $ but lost a fun job and being able to spend as much time with my kids, which I can never make up for.

A free ride for tuition is always a great opportunity, as long as the end result is doing something that you really enjoy.

My only advice is to do what makes you happiest, not the one that might bring you extra $ and only the promise of being happier...:(

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to keep going for as long as the tuition is taken care of. It is a series of programs that are sequential. They're working out the scope of the sequence since I've already finished the M. Ed. and have several other 500+ level classes.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
I was burned out after I finished my Master's. Granted, I loved (and still do) the field of study I chose (geology/paleontology), but I was definitely not in the right mindset to go on for the doctorate.

Now that 14 years have passed, I wish I had done it! "Free" is mighty tempting...

Regards,

Matt

benstephens

Practically Family
We have a lot of PHd's Here where I work. Most people have achieved them through work, normally on certain development projects. The to chaps who sit opposite me are both explosives experts, One is completely mad, the other though I have spoken to about his PHd. He said that his PHd was needed to give credential to the technical papers he produces. I would like to have a PHd, I believe it opens doors to either a world of academia or good jobs in industry/government that are otherwise closed, and leads to exciting work and research.

So stick with it, maybe one day I will join you.....

Ben

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
Common sense and I don't get along! :p

I'm not a spring chicken as far as studying goes and I've got 2 kids, one on the way, a house, a car, a dog, etc. Just getting some advice outside of my normal realm of seeking advice.

My specialty is ESL and with the growing immigrant population in Indiana it is valuable and marketable. Otherwise, we make a decent living off of our hats on Ecuadorian terms and I can have the best of both worlds, hats and teaching, in Ecuador. I want the kids to be fluently bilingual and without accent. The younger you are the easier it is to kick the accent and they're 4, 1.5 and coming in May. Oh, and my wife is Ecuadorian and would love to live there for a few years, too.

I'm leaning towards staying it through, because I do like learning.

As a multilingual person I am sorry my kids speak no foreign languages. The trouble is you need one parent to speak the foreign language to reinforce the second language ..or both! You seem to have everything moving in the right direction PB - adelante muchacho!

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
I'm going to keep going for as long as the tuition is taken care of. It is a series of programs that are sequential. They're working out the scope of the sequence since I've already finished the M. Ed. and have several other 500+ level classes.

Good for you! :eusa_clap

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Panamabob said:

Good news! Keep up the hard work, and best wishes to you, I hope you enjoy it:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy