Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Beard or Not to Beard?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Mr Zablosky said:
I don't think full beards were common in the US during this 1920-1945 stretch. Folks with beards in the old movies were bums, convicts on the lam, or some sort of commie. So, it depends what you're trying to say about yourself.

Don't forget college professors and eccentric inventors!

Doggy Darb

New in Town
He mentioned "Commies" already.:D

Generally, facial hair was not worn. Men with mustaches had to fight the stigma of being a dandy.

My vote is for no beard. It is difficult to maintain beard so as to keep the appearance trim and tidy. The wearer often strikes me as having a slovenly appearance.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Huh? Mustaches were as typical as all get-out in the 1930s. Only WWII killed 'em off.

Post WWI, facial hair was on its way out as a result of affordable, easy to use home shaving devices. By the 1930's, mustache wearers were the decided minority. I must also explain that a dandy is "one who studies ostentatiously to dress fashionably and elegantly."(OED)

Edit: I do not wish to distract from this thread. I apologize for the aside. These comment are not meant to be perceived as hostile, and I regret if I have offended anyone.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
My beard starts the last day of the regular baseball season and comes off when pitchers and catchers report for duty. Turn turn turn. Goatee, Van Dyke they are for base ball players IMHO. My mustache lasted from 1968 to 1988. It made eating soup a real labor. Weigh your growth and decide what YOU want. If people identify you by your facial hair it's time to look at their limited view not yours. My patterns for the last many years has been if its cold grow, when it warms up, shave. You decide, it's only hair it will grow back. Relax.
Tom D.

FedoraDave

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Don't listen to the guys. Listen to the chicks. ;-)

Yes Ma'am! ;)

Thanks to all for your comments this has been most enlightening. I am in transition from Kuwait back to the States but upon arriving I will promptly shave (after scaring the relatives that is). I wouldn't want you all to think of me as being easily swayed by the greater populace though (no we can have none of that!) so I must explain the motivation behind the choice. While I enjoy not shaving I also enjoy cones, delicious cones filled to the heavens with chocolatey iced cream. I had one the other day and found that you must take great care when consuming said iced cream lest it end up around your mouth instead of in it. Unfortunately the heat in Kuwait means that you need to eat the treat with haste or end up with a soggy cone of non-iced cream. So there you have it, ice cream cones made me shave :eusa_doh:

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Doggy Darb said:
He mentioned "Commies" already.:D

Generally, facial hair was not worn. Men with mustaches had to fight the stigma of being a dandy.

My vote is for no beard. It is difficult to maintain beard so as to keep the appearance trim and tidy. The wearer often strikes me as having a slovenly appearance.

stigma?

DC3

New in Town
It is very true that some people should not grow beards or mustaches. The trouble is that most of then don't know it and look silly with their little scraggels of hair.
They also take a decent amount of care and, as you get older,there is a transition of color that you have to live through.
I have been threatened within an inch of my life should I shave mine off...by my wife of 37 years.
Like a man's hat, a well groomed beard or mustache, becomes part of their personality.
Here I am at www.dcrabtree.com

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
I vote for the clean shaven look with the sideburns as below. I love the sideburns!

me.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Don't listen to the guys. Listen to the chicks. ;-)
I agree! I like the beard a lot (with the nicely styled moustache), I like the clean-shaved look too, I think it makes you look more rakish if you know what I mean. You have a bit of a Bruce Campbell jawline sir! :eusa_clap I think a moustache would maximize on your ability to pull off facial hair while showing off your chin

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Against the Current....it seems

FedoraDave said:
I hold in high regard the sense of style and taste held by the majority of loungers it seems only fitting to ask for their collective opinion. Without further delay

Mr.FedoraDave as he is, mostly unbearded -
me2.jpg
For me....not enough "there" there....

FedoraDave said:
Mr.FedoraDave as he is, mostly bearded -
me3.jpg
There's no doubt...the 1920s-1950s were a very un-bearded period; but some did wear them. Think "professorial" and get out the tweeds! I agree with what others have said: you have a grand chinline and a good facial shape. A beard this long, to me, doesn't hide those plusses...but rather accentuates them. I like the style of the mustache, as well. Not everyone can pull this off: but, for me YOU can.

FedoraDave said:
Mr.FedoraDave as he is, green with no beard
me.jpg
Perfectly acceptable, for all the reasons given above, and certainly more main-stream, vintage-wise.

Let us know--and show us--what you finally decide on. No, let me rephrase that: there's no "final" about it: facial hair is a renewable resource. Play with your face! Enjoy it!

"Skeet"

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
I recommend keeping the 'stache at the very least. The beard with it works pretty well, too - but the 'stache is great.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I Recently decided to go full beard for several reasons and had hesitations for several reasons as well...here's the pros and cons:

CONS
-Had to retire my straight razors and no longer enjoy my shaving ritual.(this was traumatic)
-had to relearn eating and staying clean at the same time.
-blowing ones nose is an adventure.

PROS
-Haven't felt this macho and rugged since I was in the army...It's a daily dose of testosterone
-Hides my middle aged turkey neck
-Best way to counter balding...it's a great look! Check out my Pinterest board: Bald, Bearded, and Grey
-My wife actually loves it!
-Got so excited about it I created my own brand of organic beard oil www.beaverbuddy.net

As the saying goes: "a man without a beard...is a woman"

[URL=http://s583.photobucket.com/user/wineforall/media/IMG_6499_zps0vrad1pr.jpg.html] [/URL]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ