Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To-day marks 70th anniversary of abdication

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
King Edward VIII discharged his duties as King on this date in 1937. Controversial, but a good dresser.
d391.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
He drove his own 1936 Canadian McLaughlin Buick limo to the radio station to make the broadcast. That Mclaughlin was sold for an enormous figure a few years ago. I think there was a thread with images of several of his suits a few months ago. His father, George V, said of him that he'd ruin himself within six months of becoming king. Prescient.
Self centered little jerk? Or tragic hero? I tend toward the former.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
He was too self centered to have any political ideas. He's been accused of this because part of Hitler's fantasy was that they would depose George VI and install Edward as king. Nobody has ever proved, or found any meaningful evidence, that Edward would have gone in for this. There were a lot of Nazi sympathizers/admirers in the pre 1936 era, but as war loomed closer they tended to see the handwriting on the wall. After the fall of France in May of 1940, Edward and Wallis were in Southern France. They took their time moseying home, via Spain, as if nothing major was going on.
I think the worst thing you can accuse him of is being despicably obtuse and insensitive. In his defence, he utterly didn't want to be king. And really, why should somebody who doesn't want the job be forced to take it?
He was just really just a sad, pathetic little man.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
He was too self centered to have any political ideas. He's been accused of this because part of Hitler's fantasy was that they would depose George VI and install Edward as king. Nobody has ever proved, or found any meaningful evidence, that Edward would have gone in for this. There were a lot of Nazi sympathizers/admirers in the pre 1936 era, but as war loomed closer they tended to see the handwriting on the wall. After the fall of France in May of 1940, Edward and Wallis were in Southern France. They took their time moseying home, via Spain, as if nothing major was going on.
I think the worst thing you can accuse him of is being despicably obtuse and insensitive. In his defence, he utterly didn't want to be king. And really, why should somebody who doesn't want the job be forced to take it?
He was just really just a sad, pathetic little man.

You are very generous about "They took their time moseying home, via Spain," ...he had to be secreted out to Portugal and then home.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PADDY said:
Photos from a 1920 book I have on some of Edwards' tours around the Empire and the US.
Thanks for the pix, Paddy. I'd never seen them before. BTW, what's the title of the book?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
It's hard for modern...

...people to understand the impact the abdication had on the world. We today have access to more information on the couple, but at the time most folks thought it was all about love. Inasmuch as people were generally less cynical than today, were less flooded by news, and the British Empire was a very great power, the event a very big deal.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Mid-fogey said:
...people to understand the impact the abdication had on the world. We today have access to more information on the couple, but at the time most folks thought it was all about love. Inasmuch as people were generally less cynical than today, were less flooded by news, and the British Empire was a very great power, the event a very big deal.
The pathetic thing is that while Stanley Baldwin was devoting his undivided attention to the King's lady, a certain former corporal in Germany was building up his nation's military might to overwhelming proportions. This was one of many reasons "Why England Slept."

Chas

One Too Many
>>>He was just really just a sad, pathetic little man.

I would agree with that.

His brother made a decent enough king, as far as kings go. And his daughter did fairly well; but the rest of them are bunch of degenerates. To quote Christopher Hitchens - "that's what you get when you found a royal family based on the family values of Henry VIII".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart