To Feather or Not to Feather?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Firemanpc, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

FB_IMG_1486156584903-1.jpg

Zombie_61, Frunobulax, Celia and 3 others like this.
  2. Bob Roberts likes this.
  3. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

I just got this late 1940's Portis. The second picture is the feather that was on it. For the life of me I can't see how a bright green feather adds to the beauty of this hat.
    portis.jpg IMG_3576.JPG

RJR, Zombie_61, Frunobulax and 6 others like this.
  4. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Grampa Moon was a wise man! ... and featherless!

5. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Not this one. I hand raise/hand feed for other breeders. I breed some of the smaller parrot species. FB_IMG_1492460029215.jpg

6. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I like most greens with tans/browns. Don't care for feathers in general and def don't care for that color green. I care for that Portis quite a bit though. :)

Zombie_61 and 40Cal like this.
  7. Jeremy T Garner

Jeremy T Garner Practically Family

AMEN to everything you said! Especially the last part...That Portis rocks!!!

Zombie_61, Bob Roberts and 40Cal like this.
  8. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

I think it's the color I object to most , Bob. It's an artificial looking green . Just glad it could be removed without any damage to the hat!

Zombie_61 and Bob Roberts like this.
  9. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Thanks , Jeremy! I'm adding it to the Portis thread now.

10. milandro

milandro One of the Regulars

Very old beginnings of this thread 8 years ago, one would think that indeed this matter would have come up as a matter of routine . I think that the use of feathers in headdresses ( which an hat indeed is) is as old as when mankind emerged from the other primates .

What made us “ different” was probably the ability to communicate and communication through symbols or signs (which is the object of semiotics studies) was one of the first thing which arose in a group so that when they met others it would be easy to identify the group, the tribe, and the function, in the group , of any given person.

So, I guess this arrived to us and we still use it although its original function may be lost and become completely vestigial.
    A bit like the rule to salute or greet by touching the brim of the hat with the right hand which seems to have originated by knights lifting the visor . Something we still do while the visor has gone.

I particularly like the use of porcupine quills as decoration in a hat. I have seen this above but also a few times used by people around. I am in fact trying to acquire one for the fun of having at least one in at least one of my hats.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pellie, steur, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Hat adornments are as much a matter of taste as the hat is. The green feather in that Portis probably makes that fine hat cry in it's box. But that's just my personal taste, or lack of it, in the case of that feather. Now if you drive a classic MG, and you want to be seen supporting the marque..............
    MG hat pin 002.JPG
    Feathers though, can give a hat a lift if they contrast or enhance a hat. Much has been said of black fedoras, but with a good feather adornment it takes on a whole new appeal.
    black fedora 002.JPG

steur likes this.
  12. milandro

So, after I what I wrote before I took a short ride and bought a porcupine quill from someone.

:) I am not displeased (click to expand) Barmah.jpg

13. Boomerang

Boomerang Familiar Face

As a novice buyer of modern hats, my first two purchases came with feathers in the band. I didn't question their presence, and left them in place for a few weeks. Observing pics of people in similar hats, I noticed that feathers were not the norm. Upon feather removal, my hats assumed a completely different personality: practical beauty and simple, utilitarian grace shone like diamonds. I still have some feathers on-hand, and I tell myself that I keep them around for dressing a hat for formal occasions. Hasn't happened yet.

Zombie_61 and steur like this.
  14. milandro

when I was young in Italy it was absolutely normal to see the occasional feather in the hats. There would also be the rarer (mostly from Tirol ) fur tassel.
    [​IMG]

15. milandro

Following n the Porcupine quill trail.

I have bought a couple more of the stubbier and thicker type.
    stekels.jpg

Then I applied one to my refurbished Akubra Snowy river I am not displeased!)
    [​IMG]

I was researching how people used them and I came across a few “ interesting” pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  16. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández Practically Family

I own many vintage hats that have feathers on them. My rule of thumb, if is vintage leave it along. Modern fedoras, I take them off, no questions ask.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

17. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

It’s well plowed ground. With very few exceptions, I’m not a fan of feathers. I remove them from vintage hats as well as modern, but I do appreciate those who want to keep the hat original.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/to-feather-or-not-to-feather.81160/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/gentlemen-feathers-in-your-hats.56647/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/feathers.45630/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/poll-feather-or-no-feather.47245/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  18. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández Practically Family

Oops, well go ahead and remove the thread with my apologies. Unfortunately, I can't delete the thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

No worries. Lots of us have done this, and there’s a good chance that a bartender will come along and merge them. No harm done.

I don’t know why I don’t like the feathers...maybe a bit of gilding the lily? Maybe a bit like you’re trying too hard? They can also be ostentatious, and some of the huge feathered bands on westerns from the 1970s are not at all to my style. Sometimes, however, the feather just looks right. Reggie has some great hats that still wear their feather adornments and they just look right on his hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boomerang, Zombie_61 and Rmccamey like this.
  20. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

When I saw this thread title, I thought for a second that this might be a new recipe for the Christmas turkey, cooked with the feathers on.
    Hat feathers, depends on the hat, there again, depends on the feathers.
    feather1.jpg feather2.jpg feather4.jpg feather5.jpg

Zombie_61 likes this.