Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To wax or not to wax ????

MissHannah

One Too Many
Miss Crisplock said:
Regarding ingrown hair: There really is no need to suffer ingrown hairs or dig them out with tweezers or a needle. TendSkin will fix ingrowns in 24 hours or less.
(TendSkin was the original product, there are others on the market now)

I tried that. Didn't work for me. Also tried InGrow-Go which didn't work either.

Octavia

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
For whatever it's worth, when I was growing up I was told that the main reason for removing underarm hair was hygenic: that unshaven pits would give off more of an odor than shaven ones. I think this is likely a holdover from the days before deodorants were universally used, but in any event I never thought I was doing it for the sake of appearance.

I think there's some truth to that theory, too -- I worked with a gal once who refused to shave for political reasons, and who used only "natural" deodorants. All well and good if that's what she wanted, but she did get to be pretty lethal to be around toward the end of a hot summer afternoon.

There were at least some men during the Era who subscribed to this belief too -- Clark Gable, for one, was well known for shaving his pits to keep his manly aroma under control.

That's the way I've always seen it. Regardless of what is expected, I shave because I feel cleaner that way - not just for pits but for pretty much everything, especially legs.

Marla

A-List Customer
The only body part I really need to shave are my arm pits, because otherwise they get very itchy. Everything else I could do without shaving. One of the reasons I like winter so much is because I don't have to shave my legs--no one can tell if my legs are hairy or smooth under wool stockings!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I did comment on this thread already..but i wanted to add that I DID go out and purchase the aforementioned electric shaver about 6 months ago and i doubt i will ever use anything else. So easy to just grab it in the morning before i hop into the shower and give my legs a quick zap.No mess.No pain.No landfill clutter. I have one that sits in a rechargeable base, so i don't even have to dig it out.It just sits on my dresser , at the ready:) .

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
I tried that. Didn't work for me. Also tried InGrow-Go which didn't work either.

Also, that TendSkin stuff is in an alcohol base. Who wants to put that on after shaving or waxing?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
I did comment on this thread already..but i wanted to add that I DID go out and purchase the aforementioned electric shaver about 6 months ago and i doubt i will ever use anything else.

Is it an epilator or something different?

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
I'm a big fan of depilatories, because I've never had good luck shaving areas like my knees or ankles, I just lack the patience.

As far as facial hair. I'm a big fan of threading. Waxing always messed up my complexion, and by the time my face cleared up, it was time to wax again. Threading leaves my upper layer of skin intact, gives a nice crisp result that lasts for about 3 weeks to a month, with minimal irritation.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
olive bleu said:
no it's a remmington lady Shaver,i think an epilator reomves the hair from the root ? this just shaves.

I think the Epilator is the SCARIEST home beauty tool I've ever seen...next to the callus removal tool that looks like a vegetable peeler.

Nashoba

One Too Many
See now, I can NOT stand threading. I had it done once and it was way more painful for me than waxing ever was. And the lady complained about the thickness of my hair the whole time. I can fall asleep during a waxing. I cried during threading [huh]

olive bleu

One Too Many
Nashoba said:
I can fall asleep during a waxing.

I KNOW!! The first time i went for waxing, the girl kept apologizing for the discomfort, but i honestly found it very relaxing.LOL. She thought i was nuts.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Thanks to all you fab Lounge Ladies, I have learned so much since joining this forum. I learn something new almost every time I read through a thread.

I was shaving my legs this morning wondering, for the first time ever, how women of old took care of the hair removal needs. Threading. Never heard of it until today, but I'll stick with what works. A razor for my legs, although I might upgrade to a lady shaver in order to reduce landfill waste. Tweezers for my brows, which occasionally require removal of a stray hair or two. Waxing for my upper lip because otherwise, I get a charming, luscious mustache. I am curious about the sugaring and might whip up a batch. My recent beauty appointment got muddled up so I'm overdue for a 'stache trim.

As for the lady garden, I mostly leave it untamed. My husband doesn't care, except when the bathing suit comes out, then he reminds me it's time for some Anne-scaping.

lframe

One of the Regulars
I wax my legs, but only in the summer time and to my knees. My skin is very sensitive and just can't do anymore. However, I do shave the rest of the time. Armpits and legs. Brows? Waxing breaks me out, so I get plucked.

I am pondering dermaplaning with a light chemical peel for some old sun damage.

Has anyone ever tried it? If so, what have your experiences been?

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato...I was a little scared of that folding spring loaded hair removal gadgetron.. until I scrolled down and saw the photos of the very happy gal getting rid of her hideous cheek hair. It says "no pain." Really?

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
According to their instructions it is to be dabbed on before and after waxing or shaving [huh]
Dear Miss Hannah;

I know that is what the instructions on the printed brochure say, and the instructions are wrong. Yes, I brought it up with the owner/inventor at the time. The instuctions will stay the same with the mistake in them, but you can be a little ahead of the game if you like.

Miss Crisplock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran