Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tobacco, Hotels, and Etiquette

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
So I have a bit of an odd question, and this seemed the best place as any to ask it. I am currently working on a novel set against the backdrop of 1920s Paris. Now a pivotal early scene is the protagonist roaming a boulevard only to discover his cigarette case is empty, and so he idly ducks into a hotel he had been passing in the hope of finding some at the desk. While in the lobby, he notices a lady attempting to light her own cigarette, but is without matches. So he offers a light and the plot rolls from there. This is all contingent on the main character realistically expecting to find cigarettes in a hotel lobby, along with a lady of refined yet rebellious tendencies (a widowed White Russian emigre) smoking a cigarette in said lobby. The shift in social convention following the Great War muddies the issue. I'm running on half remembered general knowledge on tobacco and the etiquette involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80