Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
We as a country seem to believe now that if we "play nice" with these people, elect them to office, or show them respect, eventually we will win them over. These people are not our friends, never will be, and are sworn to eliminate any other religion frrom the face of the earth. Why in the world would we think we could make peace with them?

Never Forget.

Pardon me for being obtuse, but you'll you mind defining "these people" for me?

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Pardon me for being obtuse, but you'll you mind defining "these people" for me?

If you honestly don't remember, it was Islamists that perpetrated the attacks on the World Trade Center both in 1993 and 2001, along with executing other attacks (and planning even more) on US soil. If you research all of these and still want to know more, I suggest you type "Islamist terrorist attacks Europe" or some such into your prefered search engine. You'll find plenty of material to sift through, as well as learning the reasons behind these attacks.

I find it hard to believe you don't remember who is responsible, and can only assume you must be trying to bait me somehow. I hope my factual answer satisfies your request.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
If you honestly don't remember, it was Islamists that perpetrated the attacks on the World Trade Center both in 1993 and 2001, along with executing other attacks (and planning even more) on US soil. If you research all of these and still want to know more, I suggest you type "Islamist terrorist attacks Europe" or some such into your prefered search engine. You'll find plenty of material to sift through, as well as learning the reasons behind these attacks.

I find it hard to believe you don't remember who is responsible, and can only assume you must be trying to bait me somehow. I hope my factual answer satisfies your request.
Well, the word "Wahabist" might be more specifically accurate in this case, but I see where you are going. I dearly hoped that you were not suggesting that all Musselmen suspect. That line about "electing to Congress" gave me a start. It does not appear that we have, in fact elected any "Islamists" to Congress. What exactly were you getting at there?

I was in Dearborn, Michigan on business the day that Bagdad fell. Traffic on Warren, Sheafer, and Michigan Avenue was at a stand-still for hours, due to the impromptu parade of (mostly men) in cars, and women and children in the streets waving American Flags and chanting "U. S. A.! U. S. A.!". I wondered where all I the thousands of dflags came from, and later found that, on the news of the fall of Bagdad, young men drove around to every Wal-Mart and K-Mart as far west as Jonesville buying up every flag in each store. This experience has, as you might well understand, deeply colored my opinion of Muslim Americans.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On this date in 1940, a pudgy 21-year-old named Frankie Germano struck a blow against bad umpiring by beating up National League arbiter George Magerkurth after a particularly galling Dodger loss at Ebbets Field.

dodgersfanlifemagazinephotosept301940.png

Magerkurth, an enormous former professional boxer known by the nickname "Meathead," got in a few licks of his own, and Frankie showed up in court the next morning minus his snazzy polo shirt, which Magerkurth tore while resisting the attack. Magerkurth declined to press charges, and it was all a matter of forgive-and-forget, except for Dodger manager Leo Durocher, who was suspended for five games on a charge of "inciting a riot."

Frankie Germano lived until 2005, and for the rest of his days he was known around his neighborhood as "that guy that beat up the umpire. Hey Frankie, tell us how you beat up the umpire."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Today in 1989 one of my favorite generals, Colin Powell, was confirmed by the Senate as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I personally favored Powell but held deep reservations about the man. A good battalion commander
bucked up to a star after a Pennsylvania Avenue posting, capable certainly, but exceptional stock?
I saw too many talented mustangs busted down or passed over; all of whom merited equally or ranked Powell.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Over the years we have heard a lot about Amelia Earhart, and rightfully so, but today in 1922 Lilian Gatlin became the first woman pilot to fly across the United States.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thirty years ago today Secretariat died at age 19. He was, in my opinion, and in the opinion of most of those who follow racing, the greatest racehorse of all time. He was buried at Clairborne Farm in Paris, Kentucky. There are several other racehorses of note buried there, including Secretariat's Dam and Sire. The cemetery is small and next to the house that serves as the office for Clairborne Farms. It's worth a visit if one is in the Lexington area.

In the interest of full disclosure, we have one of Secretariat's grandsons, so I may be a bit partisan. But I felt that way prior to our getting his grandson.

Secretariat.jpg

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand was published October 10, 1957

atlas-shrugged-cover_feature.jpg

From Wikipedia
Atlas Shrugged is a 1957 novel by Ayn Rand. Rand's fourth and final novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of science fiction, mystery, and romance, and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.

The book depicts a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome laws and regulations. Railroad executive Dagny Taggart and her lover, steel magnate Hank Rearden, struggle against "looters" who want to exploit their productivity. Dagny and Hank discover that a mysterious figure called John Galt is persuading other business leaders to abandon their companies and disappear as a "strike" of productive individuals against the looters. The novel ends with the strikers planning to build a new capitalist society based on Galt's philosophy of reason and individualism.

The theme of Atlas Shrugged, as Rand described it, is "the role of man's mind in existence". The book explores a number of philosophical themes from which Rand would subsequently develop Objectivism. In doing so, it expresses the advocacy of reason, individualism, and capitalism, and depicts what Rand saw to be the failures of governmental coercion.

Atlas Shrugged received largely negative reviews after its 1957 publication, but achieved enduring popularity and ongoing sales in the following decades....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

MissMittens

One Too Many
Today in 1962, John Glenn became the first American to successfully orbit the earth, in journey that took him 4:56 and which saw him complete a circle around the Earth three times.

On this day in 1985, Orson Wells died, leaving behind a stellar legacy of work which would make him legendary.

And, finally, today in 1973, Spiro Agnew resigned from office, for failing to report $29,500 that he'd received, back in the days when if you were caught with your hand in the till, the expectation was that you'd resign rather than double down. Sadly, those days are truly behind us, and $29,500 is the average amount spent on lunch by DC lobbyists

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thirty years ago today Secretariat died at age 19. He was, in my opinion, and in the opinion of most of those who follow racing, the greatest racehorse of all time. He was buried at Clairborne Farm in Paris, Kentucky. There are several other racehorses of note buried there, including Secretariat's Dam and Sire. The cemetery is small and next to the house that serves as the office for Clairborne Farms. It's worth a visit if one is in the Lexington area.

In the interest of full disclosure, we have one of Secretariat's grandsons, so I may be a bit partisan. But I felt that way prior to our getting his grandson.

View attachment 188484
Amazing a GS of Secretariat!!
I’d love to see that pedigree. I suspect he is a very valuable horse.
B

Peacoat

Bartender
Secretariat didn't throw well on the stallion side, but his brood mares produced some very good racehorses.

Our horse (Wickers) was a racehorse but wasn't fast enough to make it in the big leagues. He was, as are most racing Thoroughbreds, transitioned into another discipline, and my wife rode him for years as a fox hunter. He is now retired, and is my favorite horse on the property, because of his personality and can do attitude. I just got another fox hunter for her, and when Wickers is gone, the new guy will probably become my favorite for the same reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ