Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Hardy's Fedora in Lawless

Hello all. Long time hat wearer, new member. I was wondering if anyone had information on the brand of fedora Tom Hardy wore in the movie Lawless. Thanks!

job

One Too Many
I could never find what brand of hat he wore but I did find that it was his cardigan that got the most attention. I've even heard the term Hardigan.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I had Parker from Falcon Park Hattery make a replica for me. I love it. There are a few minor differences, but it really does the trick for me. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...pired-you...&p=1645399&viewfull=1#post1645399

Also, Banky had one done by Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes; you can view it a few posts later on the same thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...pired-you...&p=1653654&viewfull=1#post1653654

As for the brand Tom Hardy wore, no idea, but the consensus here is that there were a few different ones, or else the camera lenses drastically differed, majorly altering the appearance of the hat's dimensions.

BTW, Welcome!

Banky

One of the Regulars
When I researched the hat to give art as much information as I could there was absolutely no information on the brand. No one makes a "official" replica. Also, like any other movie, there were several of the hats used during production. This is most obviously evidenced by various small differences that can be seen in the hat from scene to scene. That being said, I'll reiterate what's already been said. To get that hat right you'll have to go custom.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Blows dust of old thread.

I'm thinking of getting onevof these fedoras made, but wanted some advice regarding the felt colour, it seems to change dramatically, depending on the light.

I was thinking of a sand like colour, do you agree?

Thanks

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Cheers Banky

Your hat exactly resembles the hat in several of the scenes, but seems darker than it appears in others.

Is it just lighting/over exposure or is it a different hat. I wonder.

What colour felt was yours?

Many thanks

RBH

Bartender
Check this one Major Moore did.

Rocky distressed it as well.

ad6f.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Moore-Makes&p=1566011&viewfull=1#post1566011

Banky

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the late reply, was at work. The brim width is 2 5/8. I'm not certain of the color, Art special ordered it if memory serves. I can however confirm that there were multiple hats used in Lawless. I pretty much picked stills of the hat I preferred and sent them to art for his reproduction.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for the late reply, was at work. The brim width is 2 5/8. I'm not certain of the color, Art special ordered it if memory serves. I can however confirm that there were multiple hats used in Lawless. I pretty much picked stills of the hat I preferred and sent them to art for his reproduction.
Thanks Banky!

...Your hat exactly resembles the hat in several of the scenes, but seems darker than it appears in others...Is it just lighting/over exposure or is it a different hat.
It's the difference in lighting they used for the different scenes. It could be a different hat as well, but when the wardrobe department for a particular movie makes multiple costumes for an actor to wear they try to make each of them as identical to the others as possible so that the audience won't notice. This is common practice because clothing can get damaged during filming, and if this happens they can simply change the actor's shirt/pants/hat/whatever and continue filming. As such, it makes no sense for them to have made several hats that were identical in every detail except the color, especially for a movie like this in which Forrest Bondurant (Hardy's character) wears the same hat throughout.

To illustrate my point about the lighting, here's a photo of the Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft I bought earlier this year:

Akubra_CD_Silverbelly_color_comparison_zps13d7201a.jpg

As you can see, the camera's flash made the color appear to be considerably lighter than it really is.

DougC

Practically Family
Could the fedora in question be a whippet with a custom ribbon? the color and size looks about right to my untrained eye.

Zombie-
That photo is a great demonstration of the effect of the flash. Well done!
Yes a really excellent example. Thank you.
Thank you, and you're welcome. I chose Silverbelly after seeing the various photos in the Akubra Campdraft thread, and was surprised when I opened the box and saw how much darker the color really is; I even wondered if I'd received the wrong hat. So I made that graphic and posted it in the Campdraft thread so that other nitwits like me would have a better idea of what to expect. To be clear, I like the actual color, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I only own one Silverbelly hat, and I'll never buy another because they appear to change color. The only thing that should change color is a Candy Apple Red muscle car with the correct paint job.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy