Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Selleck

HatsEnough

Banned
I don't know what year the photo is from, but what's interesting to me about it is that most of the men seem to be tilting the hats back on their heads. Either this was the style of the day, or the style of the particular place they were, or they were advised to do it by the photographer in order to see their faces well. I don't know which it would be.

That photo is from the late 1890s and it was shot in California.

My guess is that the photographer told them to push the hats back a bit.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Most likely. In that day I don't think anyone had thought up the idea of using white reflectors to lighten up faces under hat brims. He was probably depending on the sun and knew that if they left their hats down, no one would recognize them.

HatsEnough

Banned
Agreed, Oldsarge. This photograph was made with available, natural light. In fact, you rarely see a posed photo of the era without a hat perched absurdly back on the head.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Outdoor shots produced some great results, though, and when you are handling the original you can tell that there are some incredible details preserved.

This is an especially great shot, too. You've got some wonderful details. The guy on the right horse has some terrific gear. Lots of neat details.

Do you know anything about the store or what the ocassion was?

HatsEnough

Banned
According to the sheet I got with the photo, "I was told the store was located between Auburn and Sacramento, California. One sign says, 'triweekly stageline to Slim Jim Gulch for passage or light freight. Apply at Adams Meat Market, Front Street.'"

The photo measures 7X5 inches.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
According to the sheet I got with the photo, "I was told the store was located between Auburn and Sacramento, California. One sign says, 'triweekly stageline to Slim Jim Gulch for passage or light freight. Apply at Adams Meat Market, Front Street.'"

The photo measures 7X5 inches.

From the looks of the print it looks like it was made on an 8x10 dry plate negative which was just about the standard image size used on the view cameras at that time. Remember, these were not reflex cameras, the image was view and composed thru the camera back thru the lens. Image was reversed and flipped upside down as your eye sees it. Our brain flips things right side up and back right for left. My father and his uncle up in Canada were both photographers and putting the hat back or taking it off was standard practice as was pointed out because of using natural light was the way of doing photos. When my father was doing photography with his 4x5 press camera and flashbulbs, they started asking folks to take hat's off as the flash would cause a shadow over the eyes as they were able to use faster shutter speeds with the faster emulsion films available. Nice photo as to how it was for sure :)

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
According to Google, Slim Jim Gulch is in Eagle County, Colorado ... That would be quite a coach trip unless there's one in California too.

Or could it be that they are both in mining country?

Sam

HatsEnough

Banned
According to Google, Slim Jim Gulch is in Eagle County, Colorado ... That would be quite a coach trip unless there's one in California too.

Boy, I don't think there would have been stagelines from California to Colorado! There had to be one in California at the time. It's likely long gone at this point.
Today I sent a letter to the historical society in the county there and asked if anyone has any further knowledge about the area. If I ever hear back from them, I'll let you know.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A little off topic but I do like Tom Sellecks hats in his movies. Really suits him......... nothing to do with stage lines or hat photography or anything. Just like his style. Wouldn’t mind getting one made up for myself some day. Now I know where to go to get one.

Johnny

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You suppose he has that thing insured?

I mean against someone from a lefty group burning it off or something?

Probably not now, but back in the day ... you never know.

(quigley)

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace