Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Selleck

Corky

Practically Family
I see Tom once in a while in shops in the Culver City-Beverly Hills area of Los Angeles. He seem to acquire his stuff in much the same way as anyone else.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
There are several firms that make hats similar to the ones that Selleck has worn.

Not to push a point .... BUT ... historically speaking, the hats he wears in his films are far from the ones that you will see if you look hard at the few legitimate photos from the 1870s to 1890s ...

Hollywood has never been all that hot on authenticity, but if you want to see some hats that are accidentally accurate, look at the old William S. Hart silent westerns

Sam

MikeP

New in Town
I thank you. I'm pretty sure Major is correct, Rich Rand makes a great western hat and says little about who his customers are. Tom Hirt in Penrose Co. makes hats for Sam Elliott. Actually the best western actors DO have their hats made and DO NOT use studio hats. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

MikeP

New in Town
Western hats

I checked out Buckaroo Hats in Tenn. Think I'll be talking with them for my next one! Looks like they do a nice fedora as well.

MikeP

New in Town
For what it's worth. One of Selleck's western hats shown in the American Cowboy magazine article was appaently made by Black Sheep hat works in Washington state.

HatsEnough

Banned
Not to push a point .... BUT ... historically speaking, the hats he wears in his films are far from the ones that you will see if you look hard at the few legitimate photos from the 1870s to 1890s ...

Hollywood has never been all that hot on authenticity...

So, so right. If you are looking to movies or TV westerns for authentic western wear, gear or guns you are definitely looking in the wrong place.

Very, very few movies have the right guns, the right holsters, the right hats, the right cowboy gear (like chaps and wristguard cuffs, etc), or the right boots, even.

Most every western movie ever made has gear, guns, hats and boots from the 1900s and later in them and almost never anything proper to the 1800s.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
So, so right. If you are looking to movies or TV westerns for authentic western wear, gear or guns you are definitely looking in the wrong place.

Very, very few movies have the right guns, the right holsters, the right hats, the right cowboy gear (like chaps and wristguard cuffs, etc), or the right boots, even.

Most every western movie ever made has gear, guns, hats and boots from the 1900s and later in them and almost never anything proper to the 1800s.

There was a very early cowboy star ... he really WAS a star in his day ... Bronco Billy Anderson

Look him up on the Net ... check the images ...

Now, even HIS stuff is too late. It would be more turn of the century than 1870s ... but this guy was wearing the real deal. And his hats are really close to what you see in the genuine cowboy photos, what few exist.

Most of what he wore was not all that glamourous, though he did have some dotted chaps that are pretty cool and some gun leather that's not bad

But the over all look is much closer to the real West than Tom Mix or John Wayne.

The Duke once said in an interview that Westerns are the American version of the Greek hero myths and he's right.

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." -- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Sam

HatsEnough

Banned
I agree, Sam.

I do have to say that the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove didn't do all that bad with the look. Still a bit too Hollywoodie, but better than most.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Did you ever wonder ... speaking of Lonesome Dove ... is the hat that Newt wears in most of the movie supposed to be a cast off from Gus?

It's the same color and basic shape as his ... just beat up.

I thought they did really well with LD ... given the Hollywood realities.

Let's face it ... whether it's the cowboys or the fur traders or anyone else in the Old West, we'd just as soon not remember them the way they really looked, because it wasn't particularly colorful. It was just survival.

Look up the photos of Gen. Crook's troops at the end of the Starvation March during the Sioux War, 1876-77

Those guys look rough and anything but colorful

Frederick Remington really made the Cavalry look dramatic, but he used tons of creative license ... which is fine. That is what art is about.

The reality of living in the dirt, trying to move a herd of cattle, bathing out of a tin cup ... nothing romantic there. It gets a lot less romantic after you've tried it.

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
All of these guys, until it came time to get a formal pic taken, were pretty generic looking

They were dressed for comfort and utility

Boots, pants and coat, shirt that doesn't show dirt, a hat that can get beat up without falling apart ... that is common all through the West.

The fringed jackets and fancy belts and snazzy hats were saved for when you came back off the trail ... not to wear while you were on it.

Sam

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, it isn't a surprise that movie cowboys quickly developed a "style" that didn't reflect the real cowboys of the old west.

Here is a photo from my collection of some actual, Old West cowboys. Very plain looking as you can see.

I don't know what year the photo is from, but what's interesting to me about it is that most of the men seem to be tilting the hats back on their heads. Either this was the style of the day, or the style of the particular place they were, or they were advised to do it by the photographer in order to see their faces well. I don't know which it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff