Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tonak fedora

matei

One Too Many
During a recent visit to Romania to see some family I picked up a dark blue Czech (Tonak) fedora. The felt is very soft and pliable compared to my Herbert Johnsons. It cost me about €30. Regardless of the price - it looks nice.

At this price it is the ideal hat to experiment with for different crown shapes!

There are a surprising amount of hats available. Most of the larger shops (Romanian version of malls or department stores) have a small selection. They are mostly foreign made.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I have had some (very little) experience with the hats that you speak of. Mine is a Solentino, but I have been told it was made by Tonak. The felt of mine is very thin, tight, and light. The crown crease soon lost it's shape and would not accept a crease, either when I tried to do it myself with a kettle on the boil, or a professional hatter here in Houston. I wore it for about a season, until it became very tight fitting, I guess it shrunk. I did not store it properly, and noticed a few moth nibbles that whent clean through the felt. The hat was very inexpensive, $50 US.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that'll be fun.
I have a couple of free samples from a Polish company that I'm currently playing with- it's amazing what a complete visual change you can make with a bit of hand forming and steam. Yeh- Tonak are Czech, the Poles and Czechs make a lot of hats- pretty much most of the fur felt fashion hats that are sold in Europe and a lot abroad too and marketed under different names in the 'States.
The 2 that I scored are black and I think are Rabbit -one has a slight velour finish and the other is smoother.
I haven't really found any of the Czech or Polish ones that are straight-crowned, they all seem to have some taper- but I'm working on it...

Have fun-

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here are some pics...

This hat is made in Poland, is actaully dark Carcoal/almost black in colour and has a very fine velour finish- but as usual, the digital photos/flash make the felt look coarser and fuzzier than in reality- it's very dark and very smooth, with only a slight nap to the finish. This hat was a sample and not of the colour and style of my choosing but I've been able to see what they can make and to have a play around with it. It currently looks totally different from when I received it- the brim was deeply domed, which I have ironed out a bit and the crown was lightly centre dented and appeared more tapered.
The crown at its highest with this treatment, is just on 5" at the side-
brim is slightly dimensionally cut and is 2.5" at its smallest.
The crown could be higher but it has a tapered dome, so I made it lower to get away from so much visible taper. If these people would make straighter crowns I would almost be happy-

fed_1.jpg

fed_2.jpg

fed_3.jpg

fed_4.jpg

fed_5.jpg

fed-6.jpg

fed_7.jpg

B
T

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That actually looks pretty good in the photos.
I like the gray on gray color scheme better than I thought I would.
Looks classy and understated.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Man, based on your description, that sounds like one killer lid!
I know you keep saying the people where you are in Denmark
don't like the vintage look, but how could you not appreciate
a hat that looks that cool?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well, in some ways, it's better than I thought it would be- it's not trying to be a vintage lid, it's just a 'contemporary' interpretation- probably an 'Old man's hat'.
But- there's definitely potential there I think. I'll keep trying to get them doing some taller, straighter crowns. This was what they chose to send to me from what I communicated to them- from they currently make and I have re-styled it.
I would agree that it's 'nice' but I remain hopeful that I can get an economical European version of what I'm looking for...
My Sister-in-law has just re-located to Poland, so I have some good contacts there. To get something good out of a lower-value economy would be great.

Thanks-
B
T

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That hat is very very close to being a dead ringer for the Huckel I had. The shape of the crown is exactly the same. I was very impressed with the felt.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner