Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too much skin?

vonwotan

Practically Family
Ouch! Can he even breathe in those pants? Looks like someone threw that outfit in the wash and shrank it in the dryer. Then again, I've seen a lot of what people describe as mod or "EMO" (can someone define that for me?) and the jackets are all tight with sleeves cut too short... Fashion trumps style again? Or, am I too set in my ways?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
What can I say but: AMEN.

I´ve seen people apply for the same jobs as me in absolutely unacceptable clothes (I´m a office worker so off course a suit is a must when I go and introduce myself for a job). Is it necessary to say that I never stay without a job for a too long time? :p

Elaina

One Too Many
I went out this morning at 0 dark-thirty and got coffee and donuts for an elderly lady friend (I got woke up at the crack of "What the he--hang on I can't see, got to find my glasses" mumble) and I flat wasn't going to get dressed. I stumbled out to the car in a self-designed jammie set and my bunny rabbit slippers...and I put a calf-length coat on because I was afraid of decency. Not that you could see anything, but a cami, open backed top, little kid inspired jammie set isn't exactly normal attire. (And who REALLY is going to see me at 4 am?)

Sadly, someone was actually dressed worse then I was. Showing skin doesn't BEGIN to cover it.

At least I had an excuse: anyone that calls me at 3:30 am because they're lonley and wanting company can pretty well expect me to shuffle out in my jammies, because at some point, I'm going to go back to sleep.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Acid washed denim.

Nuff' said.

LD

*Cheers*:eusa_clap Thankfully my floor is (usually) pretty strict about such things. I mind the dress code on all days, even casual friday as I feel it reflects better on my character. Though I do see some people pushing the envelope occasionally. Elsewhere in the building? *sigh*

L_H

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
emo

...doesn't seem to have anything to do with suit jackets. Altho your upper garment should be too tight.

emo-779578.gif

Hey, I was trading mix tapes 20 years ago, only not with anybody who looked like the chyk on the left.
Note: The chyk is the one on the left.

Laraquan

Familiar Face
It's fun walking down a city street or shopping center and seeing people dressed in all sorts of clothing because, to me, it makes things more interesting when there's everything from band shirts to mohawks to emo to business to vintage. However, I don't think it's good office attire. People might argue that they should be able to express themselves through clothing wherever they are - and quite rightly they should - but they should also wonder why they're trying to express their sexuality or fishing hobby in the office?

Laraquan said:
It's fun walking down a city street or shopping center and seeing people dressed in all sorts of clothing because, to me, it makes things more interesting when there's everything from band shirts to mohawks to emo to business to vintage. However, I don't think it's good office attire. People might argue that they should be able to express themselves through clothing wherever they are - and quite rightly they should - but they should also wonder why they're trying to express their sexuality or fishing hobby in the office?

The thing is that when you sell your time (work) to a company, they have a right to ask that you dress appropriately during that time. When your time is your own then you can look like a tosser. :p

Regards,

J

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I know, I know. I just phrased it that way to emphasise the fact that these people would likely fight for the right to express non-work-related themes at work: like aggression, sexuality and a love of sitting on the couch (sorry, when I hear shorts and thongs, I automatically think of a couch potato - tis the Aussie stereotype). I wanted to point out the silliness of it all.

I agree totally that the boss should be able to enforce certain standards, so long as those standards don't harm the employee - like having a sales representative wearing a provocative shirt that may encourage sexual harassment or forcing labourers to wear stilleto heels. Not that you were advocating that they should have the right to dress employees as they pleased...

Imagine if they could dress you as they pleased. Have you seen what brides do to their bridesmaids so very often? I can only begin to imagine what a boss might do...

Fletch said:
...doesn't seem to have anything to do with suit jackets. Altho your upper garment should be too tight.

emo-779578.gif

Hey, I was trading mix tapes 20 years ago, only not with anybody who looked like the chyk on the left.
Note: The chyk is the one on the left.

I don't see anything wrong with how the guy looks (a little contrived, perhaps). And frankly, that girl looks good in those clothes. I don't mind seeing that skin. I like to see attractive women. honestly, i would have no problem with attractive women dressing constantly in swimwear (and i'm sure most women wouldn't mind if most attractive men did the same.

Problem is when these fashions become mainstream and people find out the hard way about airbrushing . . .

bk

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some things wrong about the picture and yes, I know they are models

The emo girl in the picture is too thin for a real emo girl. The guy's sweater doesn't have any holes or stains and most importantly WE CAN'T SMELL IT: B.O and cat wee, with a dash of mothballs.
At any rate, inappropriate for most work environments.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
Do you mean airbrushing like this?

Wow, that was interesting to watch. She was beautiful before they even started messing with her features! (stretching out her neck???)

I work in a nail/hair salon, so we can wear whatever we please. BUT, I do think that it is a "place of beauty", so we should at least look professional and dress nice. No, that is too much to ask. In the summer it's sneakers and too short shorts (we are all over the age of 33, short shorts were about 10 years ago for us) and then there is the dreaded velour track suit. It also drives me crazy that except for me, no one wears a slip with skirts. How is this possible? That is one of the first things my mother pounded into my head! I just don't get it.[huh]

BegintheBeguine said:
The emo girl in the picture is too thin for a real emo girl. The guy's sweater doesn't have any holes or stains and most importantly WE CAN'T SMELL IT: B.O and cat wee, with a dash of mothballs.
At any rate, inappropriate for most work environments.

lol lol lol lol Yes, and not appropriate for a work environment. :eusa_doh: :p

Regards,

J

lindylady

A-List Customer
waingirl said:
It also drives me crazy that except for me, no one wears a slip with skirts. How is this possible? That is one of the first things my mother pounded into my head! I just don't get it.[huh]

My mother drilled that into me, too. A lady should always wear a slip to keep her skirt or dress from clinging, riding up, or showing things that shouldn't be exposed in polite society. On a practical level, slips keep you warm. It's in the teens here in DC with the wind chill, yet I see women running about in thin-gauge skirts, no slip.

Elaina

One Too Many
waingirl said:
BUT, I do think that it is a "place of beauty", so we should at least look professional and dress nice. QUOTE]

So do I, hence why it takes me for forever and a day to find a anywhere to go. IMO the beautician is their own walking billboard.

I make clothes for fluffy people. I am fluffy, my mom is fluffier, and I have a friend that is fluffy. I dress all three of us. Barring the outfits my son "helps" me make, I generally try to look nice. My mom and friend look fantastic. I may not get out of jammie pants and a camisole at home when I sew, but by golly I look good outside of the house. Why? Cause I am my own publicity, and I know it. (I'm also very flamboyant about it too.)

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
lindylady said:
My mother drilled that into me, too. A lady should always wear a slip to keep her skirt or dress from clinging, riding up, or showing things that shouldn't be exposed in polite society. On a practical level, slips keep you warm. It's in the teens here in DC with the wind chill, yet I see women running about in thin-gauge skirts, no slip.

most younger women these days have no idea of what a slip is. at least the ones i went to school with didnt. its just another thing to put on in the morning.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Must be because you live in NZ, Smithy!

I find things were much more casual back there than in England.

Where you from then?

Miss Sis, I am from Auckland where I was born and bred and am currently back here until March. Like a typical Kiwi though I have been living all over the show (but not Earl's Court :D ) in Australia, Norway and Chile. Moving back to the Land of the Vikings in March, love the place!

I must admit that when I was in advertising I dressed like I had just gotten out of bed. I blame years of school uniform and corporal punishment for having your socks down for this brief revolution against dress standards!

Honestly though Kiwis are IMO far too casual now. Nobody seems to get dressed up for any reason now which is a huge shame.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only on TV do I see the ladies at work with their chests showing: CSI Miami, CSI and sometimes Ghost Whisperer, Without a Trace, and Cold Case. Not on any of the Law and Orders that I've noticed. I never see a lady's chest showing at work in real life, no matter what size or lack thereof. Flip-flops, muffin tops, no slips, tattoos showing YES, but nothing low cut seen for the past few years. Who knows why? At play, some of the gals have their parts hiked up as if presenting the Thanksgiving turkey on a platter with all the fixins, but not at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy