Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Took a chance on an eBay Langlitz Cascade

Easily the best jacket I've seen here! It's among the top three, no doubt. I'm really in love with it and it fits you really well! Thank you for sharing it with us!

trapp

Practically Family
Monitor, I think you need to look into getting a Cascade. A few months ago I posted one without identifying it in the shirt tucked / untucked thread and I remember it drawing a very positive reaction from you. It's a superb design and classic in it's own right. As Pawineguy mentions, it was one of Ross Langlitz's original patterns from the late 40s and you can still find photos of Cascades with his early Speedway Togs label. Langlitz has always produced it but unlike other early styles, it never seemed to get picked up by other companies and replicated in the main the way, say, Perfectos did.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Another guy here planning for a Langlitz in the near future. Yeah, those Japanese sites and instagram pages are something else aren't they? Saw the Deaths Head Cascade on one of those pages and that's top of my list now - either that or the Sidewinder.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Great review and awesome jacket! I have two Cascades and I love them both. Yours from ebay appears to fit great... looks like you lucked out. Very nice.

I have one Cascade like yours with the offset zipper, and I pretty much only wear that one for riding. I never found it too practical for every day use. Because of that I ordered a second with a straight zip front, 2 inches longer length in the front, and I ordered some options that were only on the Japan website at the time (this was back in 2007). Notice the quilted elbow pads that are padded from the inside..I forget what that option was called, but I liked it a lot more than the padding being sewn on from the outside. And on both I had the chest pocket made horizontal for aesthetic reasons.. the pocket is harder to reach into than the slanted version, but I like the looks a lot better. Anyway, best of luck ordering a new one... it's exciting when that brown paper package arrives on your stoop. And remember that no matter what options and setup you order, you'll probably always wish you ordered it just a little bit differently than you did. That's always my experience anyway with ordering custom made jackets. Good luck!

Midweight Cowhide in the Japan only Russet color (that I later dyed myself to the dark brown you see here):

Dark Brown Heavyweight Cowhide:

Last edited:

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Looks great Tommer (BTW welcome back). I too much prefer the straight zip.
HD

HD I've only been back a week and I already have a new jacket arriving tomorrow. Now I remember why I had to get off these forums in the first place! Hope you've been well.

Regarding the straight zip Cascade.. I used to love the short cafe-racer collar, and now I can't stand the look. I'm wishing I had a regular collar on there. Hopefully I can hold off and not order another one.

plainsman

Familiar Face
Pawineguy, it's a beautiful jacket! Do you notice a significant difference in weight from this goat jacket compared to your other riding jackets in horsehide or cowhide?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Another guy here planning for a Langlitz in the near future. Yeah, those Japanese sites and instagram pages are something else aren't they? Saw the Deaths Head Cascade on one of those pages and that's top of my list now - either that or the Sidewinder.

I don't think I could pull off a Deaths Head but it's a very cool looking jacket. I love that the Japanese both push the limits on their designs, but also have an affinity for bringing back the old designs that are rarely seen anymore.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Hidden pads adds $150 to the cost of the jacket. So you really have to want them hidden. I prefer it.

Thank you. I've been discussing with Scotty and I may go with "patch pads", which is a smooth pad with no foam, just an extra layer of leather. It'll be contrast stitched to it'll still have a "padded" look, but be more of just a road rash protector.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Pawineguy, it's a beautiful jacket! Do you notice a significant difference in weight from this goat jacket compared to your other riding jackets in horsehide or cowhide?

The short answer is yes. The jacket is definitely lighter, but the goat feels so tough in my hands that I don't feel like I'm giving up protection on the bike. I haven't put any of them on the scale, but my guess is compared to Vanson or a heavy steer Aero, it's between 1.5 and 2 pounds difference, at least.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding the straight zip Cascade.. I used to love the short cafe-racer collar, and now I can't stand the look. I'm wishing I had a regular collar on there. Hopefully I can hold off and not order another one.

LOL, I'm sure there are about 30-40 people all thinking the same thing...what size is it and will it appear in the classified section soon?

Damn nice looking jacket!

Damo

A-List Customer
HD I've only been back a week and I already have a new jacket arriving tomorrow. Now I remember why I had to get off these forums in the first place! Hope you've been well.

Tommer, when I was going to buy my first leather jacket I was speaking with langlitz and your straight zip jacket was the one I wanted to replicate. Langlitz told me that colour wasn't their's, it was a customer who dyed the jacket and also they received many many emails from people regarding the colour. Dude your like a legend! That's cool your the guy who dyed his jacket.

Anyways just thought I'd share the story and I hear ya about being on this site. I'm so easily influenced by it. Yesterday I was really into an aero j107 in brown fqhh now I'm liking the deaths head. Regarding the deaths head i thought the Vanson chopper was bad ass but not compared to the deaths head. The deaths head should be in the new mad max movie coming out. Would love to find some pics of it opened up.

Last edited:

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Tommer, when I was going to buy my first leather jacket I was speaking with langlitz and your straight zip jacket was the one I wanted to replicate. Langlitz told me that colour wasn't their's, it was a customer who dyed the jacket and also they received many many emails from people regarding the colour. Dude your like a legend! That's cool your the guy who dyed his jacket.

Ha!! That's awesome! Pretty funny to hear. I'd even have old ladies in grocery stores telling me they liked that jacket. Unfortunately after a motorcycle accident I only ride in armored stuff now.. which are mostly textile and not leather. So both of my Langlitz jackets don't get too much use anymore.

Here was the infamous Cascade before dye. It was their Russet color option from their Japan site and it was a $50 option. I hated it from the second I opened the package.

....and then immediately post dye job...

Some of the coloring wore off over the years from rain and wear, but I think it added to the character... it's my best looking jacket. I actually dyed my Aero LHB in FQHH this fall... from stock cordovan to a dark brown... the color is amazing. If I get around to it I'll post pics.

Anyway, thanks for posting your story.. that's cool to hear.

Tommer

pawineguy

One Too Many
Well, my order has been placed for a Cascade with patch pads, a watch pocket and dark brown stitching over black goatskin. Scotty is great to deal with, jacket should be made by the time it's back to riding season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner