Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Took a chance on an eBay Langlitz Cascade

pawineguy

One Too Many
Have been wanting to try a Langlitz for a while, for riding only, and stumbled across one on eBay at a great price, dimensions looked good so figured I hadn't much to lose. I was getting ready to order a custom build (which I will still do), but figured this was a good way to dip my toe in the water first and see if I liked the materials, workmanship, etc... Based on their reputation I wasn't concerned but you never know until you hold something in your hands.

This jacket is 6 years old, has only one small mark on the front that doesn't even show up in photos, perfect lining and pockets. The lining is a very satiny material, very smooth to put on, and the pockets are heavy canvas. Zippers are brass Talon, but use a larger size up front than Aero, closer to the big zips Vanson uses. (not that I worry about the sturdiness of the Aero zips, the larger ones are just easier to use, but can look out of place on certain jackets)

The goatskin is very similar to Aero's. It's thick but pliable, I would guess almost the same thickness that Aero uses, certainly right in the ballpark. It feels slightly tougher, although obviously that's very difficult to quantify, just my opinion from handling the two. The stitching looks good, and overall the impression is of a sturdy, but mid-weight jacket that's very well suited for its intended purpose.

The fit suits me very well. The chest is spot on, and while the arms look a little bit long in the pics, when I reach my arms out into a riding position, they fall to the perfect spot without any pulling. You'll notice a pretty big drop in the back, to keep the jacket over the belt if you are in a sport-riding position. The shoulder gussets work extremely well, provide a lot of movement but pop back into place nicely. The front is one of the shortest lengths I own, but again, in the seated position it'll drop down over my belt without pushing my jacket up into my neck. (again, this was an eBay purchase so I'm not sure how they would fit me when I custom order from my measurements, but I would hope similar to this)

I plan on ordering shortly a similar styled jacket, but padded and with a contrasting dark brown stitching. I might go for the smooth pads instead of quilted, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I keep thinking about the famous Ralph Lauren pic with the smooth pads, which to me is just one of the coolest looking leather jackets, especially because it's supposedly a true vintage jacket and has been repaired and maintained by Langlitz.

IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4910.JPG
IMG_4919.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG
IMG_4926 2.JPG
IMG_4927.JPG

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Great jackets, great leather ... not sure I could live with the (front) length but it looks good on you ... well done. I assume there's no armour in it ????

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great jackets, great leather ... not sure I could live with the (front) length but it looks good on you ... well done. I assume there's no armour in it ????

Not sure about the front length for anything but riding. I think another inch or a little under would be perfect on the one I'll have made, and then I'll decide if I hold onto this or move it along to a new owner. No armor, I typically ride in non armored jackets with an armored shirt from Knox or Bohn underneath.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I just ordered a Columbia with the hidden pads, no diamond stitching option. Cossack collar, but with a chest pocket. Pure riding jacket.

trapp

Practically Family
Happy to see a Cascade on the lounge! IMO the Cascade is one of the best minimal designs around and I'm puzzled that it doesn't get more play on here.

I think the jacket looks fantastic. I love the goat and it's a nice fit all over. I can see how adding a touch in front on your custom probably makes sense but this one looks really good to me. Smart buy...With this jacket as your baseline, you're bound to end up with a superb custom fit.

Damo

A-List Customer
@pawnieguy
Nice jacket, i think you did well. I feel like every week your busting out a new jacket. Do you have any pics of that Ralph Lauren jacket?

pawineguy

One Too Many
I just ordered a Columbia with the hidden pads, no diamond stitching option. Cossack collar, but with a chest pocket. Pure riding jacket.

Sounds great. I'm thinking about hiding my pads as well, was there a big upcharge to do so? Can't wait to see some of these start rolling in...

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
@pawnieguy
Nice jacket, i think you did well. I feel like every week your busting out a new jacket. Do you have any pics of that Ralph Lauren jacket?

1003464_573757895980034_789538468_n.jpg
10629392_799191883436633_3066997910901858505_o.jpg

Supposedly his favorite jacket, I believe from the 50s. His jacket has the smooth pads instead of quilted.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Happy to see a Cascade on the lounge! IMO the Cascade is one of the best minimal designs around and I'm puzzled that it doesn't get more play on here.

I think the jacket looks fantastic. I love the goat and it's a nice fit all over. I can see how adding a touch in front on your custom probably makes sense but this one looks really good to me. Smart buy...With this jacket as your baseline, you're bound to end up with a superb custom fit.

Yes, for an eBay purchase I can't expect a much better fit. I'm nit-picking about the front length, any change would be minimal there. It's funny, there are a lot of fashion brands that have "invented" minimalist riders lately, the Cascade was first produced in 1948.

technovox

One Too Many
Great post! Great review and info!
And your Langlitz looks to be in wonderful condition. Total score!
I've been looking at Langlitz for a while now, and wondering about that goatskin hide of theirs. It's nice to see their jackets get a bit of play on the lounge.
I've noticed that in most of the pics of someone wearing the Cascade, invariably it's almost always unzipped, and opened at the front. So thanks for the fit pic of it zipped up. That off-set front of the Cascade is very different, and it looks good on you.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great post! Great review and info!
And your Langlitz looks to be in wonderful condition. Total score!
I've been looking at Langlitz for a while now, and wondering about that goatskin hide of theirs. It's nice to see their jackets get a bit of play on the lounge.
I've noticed that in most of the pics of someone wearing the Cascade, invariably it's almost unzipped, and opened at the front. So thanks for the fit pic of it zipped up. That off-set front of the Cascade is very different, and it looks good on you.
Enjoy!

You're totally right about the off-set. The bottom snap is the center point of the jacket. The zipper actually starts to the right of center and so because it runs just to the right side of the neck, it's not really set at that much of an angle.

IXL

One Too Many
Good find! As a guy who usually wears Vanson SportRider Satellite jackets, I see the front length as anything but too short, for actual riding. And just as the Satellite, there is a good amount of drop in the back.
Let us know how you find the fit after wearing it on your bike, if you aren't in the middle of the blizzard. I think you'll keep it.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I'm excited for you... what did you order and how long was your wait? I'm going to have to get my order in this week.

I've got a Skookum cascade coming. It's in the vintage line on the Langlitz japan site. I've had the cash sitting there for over a year, just kept changing my mind on which one, as I initally set out to get a columbia. Then I stacked on some weight, so I waited until I was in slightly better shape( long way to go!), then I just got sick of waiting, so I finalised everything last week. The wait time was initially a month, then they got busy and it blew out to about 12 weeks? Due to waiting so long they have slotted me In. Over time I've gotten to know the guys and have bought a few shirts and hoodies etc. service is great, if you do go to order, ask for Scotty, he is a champion. He can send you out a full list of various options that aren't on the website. The Langlitz Japan site has a truckload of stuff not on the US site.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I've got a Skookum cascade coming. It's in the vintage line on the Langlitz japan site. I've had the cash sitting there for over a year, just kept changing my mind on which one, as I initally set out to get a columbia. Then I stacked on some weight, so I waited until I was in slightly better shape( long way to go!), then I just got sick of waiting, so I finalised everything last week. The wait time was initially a month, then they got busy and it blew out to about 12 weeks? Due to waiting so long they have slotted me In. Over time I've gotten to know the guys and have bought a few shirts and hoodies etc. service is great, if you do go to order, ask for Scotty, he is a champion. He can send you out a full list of various options that aren't on the website. The Langlitz Japan site has a truckload of stuff not on the US site.

Thanks @Bunyip. I have been dealing with Scotty, he's been great. I should have a catalog arriving in another day or so, and I have literally spent 4 hours or more going through every picture on the Langlitz Japan site and also the Club Langlitz Japan pictures. The guys in Japan are very serious about their jackets, it's a great resource. I love that Skookum Cascade, I had seen a few pics from Japan, it's a gorgeous jacket.

Damo

A-List Customer
Thx for the shots of the ralph jacket. Im looking forward to seeing the langlitz jackets that you guys are getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner