Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I found this in a drawer at home. I'd completely forgotten about it. It's a shop display card for Tootal scarves:
10996067_1459307544294200_7051314516481260534_n.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've just been to a training session for work at Masson mill in Matlock and they had loads of Tootal adverts up sadly behind glass so couldn't photograph them well at all, also a cracking Van Huesen collar advert from the 30's.
I wonder if they made cloth for Tootal at the mill?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hello there - long time lurker here, but just had to get in on the Tootal thread!
A few thoughts:
Have any of you found one certain standard of Tootal Tie to be less or more resilient? I have three Sports Quality ties and two of those are in poor condition. In fact one has a moth hole - which leads to another question. Is Rayon (which I believe is a 'semi synthetic material') in its various mixtures moth-meat? Of course, durability is subjective when discussing used items, but I was just wondering what you thought about the real-life quality of a rayon weave?
Also, have any of you come across any pre-Terylene Tootals in any other shape than their usual? I have a Black Quality that is slightly longer than normal, and is of a '1960s' style narrow width. Could have been adjusted I suppose - but it retains its classic diagonally stitched label. Interesting nonetheless.

Feels good to finally post something on the Lounge!
Regards,
Eddie

Edit: Sorry, my mistake - that narrow tie is normal length. The width at the end is 2 and 1/4 inches.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've always found Tootal's to be of excellent quality, I've yet to see a moth holed one....they seem to last well but the printed design can fade over time if repeatedly washed.....they do wash well by the way, I've not ruined one yet by hand washing in warm/hot water, just be careful ironing use a ironing cloth and put a shaped piece of card up the blade so you don't get seem marks coming through.
I am sure TT will pass on some of his knowledge , he is Mr Tootal!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Yes I am a little surprised to see moth holes in them - but I don't know what else they might be. Or at least, they are not 'wear' marks - too clean around the edges. And yes I've managed to give them a bit of a scrub before and they have held up well - although I wonder if after these 60-80 years the 'tebilized' treatment has worn off - All of my 20 odd Tootals seem to crease like paper after a wear!

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I believe that in the late 1950s Tootal started to make their ties narrower to fit in with the prevailing trends. 'Black Quality' ties were available at the same time as the 'Gold Quality' and 'Silver Quality' ties that were, I believe, their earliest terylene ties.

Can't help you on the question of moth holes. I Didn't think moths liked rayon!

Eddie, please post any photos of Tootal products that you have. I'm always eager to see more.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Ah I see. So there was a transitional period where rayon and terylene were both available?
I'll try and get round to photographing them tomorrow Two Types. I have a shipment of ties that I bought cheap that need cleaning/repairing that apparently has a handful of Tootals in so when I get them I'll post them too. I know somewhere in my collection I do have a very old (and very good condition) popular quality with a white label. Probably one of my favourites!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It's always good to see the earlier ones. Remember, if you find any doubles I might be interested ... especially if they are cheap!!!!!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hah I'll keep it in mind. Do you yourself have at least one of each quality? I'm missing a red, blue, grey and special yet. Less common I'd say than the others. There's some floating around on the Bay but a little more than I like to usually pay.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Blue' and 'Grey' quality are quite hard to find, but not as hard as 'Sports' or 'Boys'. I think I have at least one of every 'quality'. What I would really like are more of the 'popular' and 'standard' quality ties. And of course the 'Boys' ties with the very detailed designs. I can't wear them, but I have to have them!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I have one boy's tie - but it states 'Long' on it and I've worn it a few times. I've got a pretty scrawny neck (15.5") for my build (42" chest). Just got that shipment in this morning and it has a 'Red Quality' in it which I'm thrilled about - although it does have a bit of mold on it so that needs sorting. Also got a Black, a Silver (which I hadn't already got) and a square ended 'Silver Blade' one with a sadly worn-out neck. I'll get around to posting my collection later. Also got a non-Tootal tebilized tie that I'll post too.

Any tips on removing mold? Maybe just a luke-warm soak? I understand commercial anti-mould sprays have bleach in them.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Just done a quick search on the British Newspaper archive - seems that 'Popular', 'Standard/Sports' and 'Special' were all available up to 1951 at least. Then adverts for 1952 advertise a sort of translation - so 'Popular (Red Quality)', 'Standard (Blue Quality)', 'Sports (Green Quality)' and 'Special (Black Quality)'. By 1953 they stick to the colours. Hope that helps illuminate these mysterious little creatures that roam the vintage wilderness.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Just done a quick search on the British Newspaper archive - seems that 'Popular', 'Standard/Sports' and 'Special' were all available up to 1951 at least. Then adverts for 1952 advertise a sort of translation - so 'Popular (Red Quality)', 'Standard (Blue Quality)', 'Sports (Green Quality)' and 'Special (Black Quality)'. By 1953 they stick to the colours. Hope that helps illuminate these mysterious little creatures that roam the vintage wilderness.

You could have saved yourself the trouble. That info is included in the first few pages of this thread (not only that but i also got it from the newspaper archive - great minds ....).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters