Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I the late fifties they advertised both Gold/Silver label ties (terylene or whatever) at the same time as the colour coded ties.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I see. Thanks TT, makes sense with the narrower shapes coming out.

Here's a few new Tootal acquisitions:
A very nice 'Special Quality' - I want to acquire more of these bad boys

A 'Green Quality' - but perhaps a later one - a bit narrower and it is 10% Nylon. It's in pretty poor shape - dulled colours and pilling too. Don't really know what to do with this one.

A 'Black Quality' with a decent pattern but with quite a few holes in it. Again don't know what to do with this one:

A couple of cravats - perhaps a little help on dating them? The paisley one is even brighter in real life!

And finally three widths of 'Black Quality' ties - not new to me, but thought it might be interesting.

Thanks for looking!

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Hi guys just thought in would share the tootal ties in my tie collection. They are various qualitys and ages but my favourites have to be the spotted ones.
af386e3236e41e5505728a015b2a548a_zpsyewackxb.jpg

2a568669443e3f693be111a8f7ee51f7_zpslj37tadd.jpg

293fa04c84a4bcd9f6384a1d5748fa8e_zpslplhhrye.jpg

9a52492d184452e582246cd06dfade66_zpsbrkfquhs.jpg

a1affc3c8aa1edd538eeff86de7ba6ce_zpsspjzl292.jpg
30c4d15e7e07c84860294f214ea300a8_zpsye4tgzat.jpg

54651d3a6136ce8d51c3d2b4bb211e98_zpsvgsy72in.jpg

2da5299a3f9f4814d142332a86a6638d_zpsjmg5yldk.jpg

Cheers Freddie

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff!

Eddie: it's interesting to see the three 'black quality' ties side by side to see how they narrowed through the 1950s. It's difficult to date the cravats. I usually work on the basis that if they have an unstitched neckband they are early than those with the stitched down neckband. As for the two you have posted, I believe the one with the larger font on the label is later than the other one. That is based on scarf labels with that font often appear on the frayed end scarves which I believe to be later. Not exactly scientific but it's a start! As for the tie with 10% nylon, I have never seen one of those. So I'd be happy to take it off your hands in a swap if you don't wear it. Let me know. The orange plaid, purple plaid and the green checks are also wonderful. And I love the gundog tie. In fact, I'd happily wear them all! Please post more if you have them.

Freddie: Some great ties there. Thanks for sharing. The 'Standard Quality' with the polka dots over paisley is a wonderful design. I'm most jealous!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks TT. The cravats do seem a little more ambiguous certainly. In my head I had the idea from long ago that Green quality had nylon in it but I don't know why - I didn't have any with it in and I can't imagine I would have seen one and passed on it. Strange. I'll have to see if I can clean it up or something, but if I can't I'll let you know. As for the gun dogs etc, they're in Freddie's post - and I'm just as jealous as you are haha!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Estaban - I've come across a wool tie today with shiny thread plaid like that Tootal you showed me at Belper. I'll post it to 'show us your ties' later. Incidentally, if you haven't sold that one yet I'll take it off your hands!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Probably earlier - Sports became 'Blue' in the fifties I think. Unless it being all rayon rather than rayon and cotton makes it later? I have one with the same label that would seem to be quite old. Very cool tie though whenever it's from. What's the dimensions?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Lovely one. £1 is a fantastic price. I'd have happily paid way more for that tie! I'd agree with Eddie, probably earlier than fifties.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Some additions to the collection.

On the left is an old 'Special Quality' which annoyingly has a greasy patch where the knot ties (any suggestions for cleaning this would be greatly appreciated).

In the middle is an unworn 'Standard Quality'. Sadly it has been attacked by moths in about half a dozen places. Interestingly though, I think it must be a very early one - the label is printed rather than embroidered, and I have another 'Standard' with such a label whose text has almost completely worn away.

Lastly, and the only one of its kind I've seen, is a Tootal wool tie. Unlined and at 52", I assume it must be of the 'Terylene Era', but early-on going by the construction and length. What do you folks reckon?

Thanks for looking!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum