Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Baby Names from 20's thru 40's

Polka Dot said:
Older, classic names are actually competing very well in popularity versus the fabricated names of today, e.g. "Nevaeh", which is heaven spelled backwards. At my job the other day, a little girl was running away from her parents into our kid's department, and her mom called out, "Vivian, come back here!" I found it adorable that a little toddler could have such a distinguished and beautiful name.

Other classic names are also incredibly popular these days, especially Olivia, Isabella, Sophia, Abigail, Ava, Emma, and Amelia.

Boys' names tend to resist the trendiness that plagues girls' names. The fifteen most popular boys' names for 2005 were:*

1. Jacob
  2. Michael
  3. Joshua
  4. Matthew
  5. Ethan
  6. Andrew
  7. Daniel
  8. Anthony
  9. Christopher
  10. Joseph
  11. William
  12. Alexander
  13. Ryan
  14. David
  15. Nicholas

With the possible exception of Ryan, all of these names have been widely used for a very long time.

* From the Social Security Administration survey. These fifteen names represent about 14% of baby boys born in 2005.

Holy Crimony! I can believe some of those names are still that popular today. [huh]
Oh and the name would be Ekup. Pronounced like hiccup but with a long e. :p

Regards,

J

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prepare yourselves . . . tragic but true

I once worked with a girl who had four children. The first child was a boy, whom she named Kyen. It's not even a made-up word, let alone a name! Then came the first girl, whom she named Siena, which, while not my style, wasn't altogether bad.

Unfortunately she went back to stupidity with boy 2, named Zen, and girl 2, named Alaska. Yeah, she's a surfie-hippie with a very emasculated husband. Enough said!

My little girl's named Ella Louise. She was almost an Emily May! It's nice that she has a real name, and not some silly made-up rubbish.

atomicfabulous

New in Town
my future children's names are off the beaten path!

Hey, my kids are gonna be Memphis O'niell (my husband and I really like Memphis as a name and O'neill is his family name, my brother in law is also planning on naming his son Memphis...)
and Eloise Stone...Stone is a passed down name on the men's side of my moms family, I chose it because I was close to my grandpa and he was the first person close to me who died. Ultimate respect to that man! I just like the sound of Eloise...
Hey, its no Pilot Inspektor, but what are you gonna do?

GOK

One Too Many
Memphis O'Neill just has to be a name of either a gorgeous starlet or an intrepid adventurer! I love it! :D

In the book, Freakonomics that I mentioned before, there is a true tale of two boys that were named Winner and Loser by their (IMO) idiot father. Neither lad lived up to their names; Loser went to uni and became very high up in the police force, whilst Winner ended up a petty criminal. :(

Jay

Practically Family
GOK said:
Slightly off topic but has anyone here read Freakonomics by Levitt & Dubner? There's a very interesting section on popular babies' names througout different eras and how what you name your child can affect it later in life. I'd recommend anyone considering one of the more popular 'fashion' names read this first! (So speaks the woman that named her youngest son, Ziggy!) :D
Freakanomics was awesome. It made me think of everything in a completely different light. Who'd of thought that legalizing abortion would lower crime?
And that naming your son Loser would make him successful in life.
Crazy.

GOK

One Too Many
Jay said:
Freakanomics was awesome. It made me think of everything in a completely different light. Who'd of thought that legalizing abortion would lower crime?

See, I think that makes perfect sense. However, I suspect this is not the place to go into that particular discussion!

The book however, is brilliant! :D

griffer

Practically Family
I wish I was Walther David Griffith.

Not a fan of my first name, never have been.

Wish I could have a son named Henry David Theophilus Griffith.

And no, I hold no council with Thoreau, David is my father's name, Theophilus is my Grandfather's.

Shimmy Sally

Another reason I think so many celebrities are tacky people. Some of these names are just demeaning to the child:
http://smylesandfish.com/lounge/top-100-celebrity-baby-names.php
Why isn’t “Drainpipe” on the list?
http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.20878

My brothers and I just went with our family names, which have been recycling for centuries, when naming our kids. I’d hate to break tradition, even if our names aren’t really in style for this country/era. I wouldn’t want too common a plain name, nor would I want a completely crazy name. Unique and inspiring names are best.
I love it when parents tip-the-hat to their own heritage by naming children after relatives from way back in the family tree.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I think the celebrity kids names that really make me go "wtf?" are Rumer, Scout LaRue, and Tallulah Belle Willis. How are those names? Especially for girls?

My daughter is named Audriana Marie. I gave her a big girl name which flows well with her big italian last name lol.

We decided that if we have a boy we are going to name him Santino, middle name to be determined. As in Sonny from the Godfather lol. It's just a nice sounding name. Although the family's pushing for more boys since my fiance's the last boy to carry the name on (his brother had all girls), we won't be naming them Fredo or Micheal if we do have more lol. His grandfather, father, and brother are all named Joseph Anthony but I doubt we'll go that route. My fiance's middle name is Joseph maybe we'll just stick with that to carry on a legacy in a way. I like reusing family names but the same name generation after generation is kind of boring to me.

Elaina

One Too Many
Well Nick Cage's son if he was smart would start going by Clark now.

My husband's name is Georgos (after 10 years I still snicker at it), pronounced like the yogurt, Yo-gos. I'm trying to convince him to anglocize the family tradition for a boy, from Vascilios Georgos to William George, because other siblings are taking Vascilios and I'd like my kid to be unique of sorts. Personally, I'd go away from the family names totally and name him something else, but I don't have much of a choice here, and I always wanted a William so I could call him Liam (because I don't think kids should have nicknames for names).

My sibs all tried for these cutsey names with stupid spellings. Alyx, Ashlei, Apryl, Laynie or were Elvis freaks: Aron. (And just so you know, I tell them this too.) Or no flair like Adam and Eve. Of course, I got the weird name in my family too, so I'm just biased.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Names are something I'm very worried about when it comes to having children. I'd hate to give my child a name that he/she is teased about for the rest of their lives! My absolute favorite name is Kate/Kaitlyn, but I'm afraid if I name my daughter in such a manner, she'd be called Katie, and with my last name (Beatty), that just wouldn't be right!! Reminds me of The Wedding Singer - "Her name will be Julia Gulia? That's funny!"

I've never given much thought to my own name - Kimberly - it isn't a terrible name, but it doesn't do much for me. My paternal grandmother refuses to call me Kim because "that isn't a proper name for a girl;" she wanted to name me Rosebud, and to this day only calls me Kimberly. :rolleyes: I never find my name very high up on any of these lists, which, as I get older tends to make me happy.

As for my own children (when that time comes) I've already decided that any boys will have the middle name Wayne; my dad, his dad, my hubby and his dad all have the same middle name. I'm terrible at choosing first names, and it's hard because there are already so many traditional boys' names in our family. Girls' names I have a little easier time with, except I can't decide which I like best! So far I have Elisabeth Marie, Kaitlyn Marie, Carolyn Marie...(Marie is MIL's name and she was devastated when her daughter had her 2nd baby and didn't incorporate her name somehow into name. It's actually a really beautiful Ukrainian name and I'd love to incorporate their heritage in our kids' if possible...Lynn(e) is from my side of the family; my maternal Grandmother's name is Marilyn but people often called her Lynn. My mother's middle name is Lynne and my middle name is Lynne, so I'd like to have that in the baby's name as well, some how.) We have a lot of girls in the family with unique names, but nothing too over the top (with the exception of one darling little girl - Jazlyn)...

I love thinking of names for babies...I used to make lists all the time of all the possible combinations I loved. One of these days maybe I'll get to use that list!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I am not real wild about the names that are popular today (I'm not wild about ANYTHING that is popular today!).

Trendy boy's names:
Xander (my nephew is named Xander...I hate even saying the name. It's not a real name, it's half of a name...the last half of a name!), and Hunter and Dillon and Tyler are real popular here.

Girls will be named "Madison" (ugh), "Michaela" (or even worse; "Makayla"), and any number of other made-up and grossly misspelled names.

What ever happened to Charles or Charlie (my grandfather), Richard, George, or Herbert? How many girls are named Geraldine (my grandmother), Eloise, Susan, Elisabeth, or Barbara these days?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
griffer said:
I wish I was Walther David Griffith.
Walther and not Walter? My gf was Paul Walther and I'm named for him, only with Walton (another old family name) in place of Walther. (Ggf was a Mo. Synod Lutheran pastor and Dr. Carl Walther the greatly revered cofounder of the Synod.)

Fatdutchman said:
I am not real wild about the names that are popular today (I'm not wild about ANYTHING that is popular today!).

Trendy boy's names:
Xander (my nephew is named Xander...I hate even saying the name. It's not a real name, it's half of a name...the last half of a name!), and Hunter and Dillon and Tyler are real popular here.

Girls will be named "Madison" (ugh), "Michaela" (or even worse; "Makayla"), and any number of other made-up and grossly misspelled names.

What ever happened to Charles or Charlie (my grandfather), Richard, George, or Herbert? How many girls are named Geraldine (my grandmother), Eloise, Susan, Elisabeth, or Barbara these days?

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Xander is something from Buffy the Vampire Slayer not real life. :rolleyes: Sometimes I think people go to the food section to name their kids too. Chito and Chip!? Pretty soon they are going to name them after candy bars like U-NO, Peppermint Paddy, Kiss, Almond Joy, Mars and even Twix. :eusa_doh: [huh]
Then there are those who can't put two and two together like Jack Hoff. :rolleyes:
Little Rascals names will be popular next. Spanky, Froggy, Stymie, Alfalfa and Porky will rank high on the new names list. :eek: :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo