Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Baby Names from 20's thru 40's

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Ran across this online and thought you all would enjoy taking a peek... heck it might even help some people if they need names someday.

1920's Most Popular Names

Boys' Names
John
William
James
Robert
Joseph
Charles
George
Edward
Thomas
Frank

1930's Most Popular Names

Boys' Names
Robert
James
John
William
Richard
Charles
Donald
George
Joseph
Edward
Thomas
Paul
Frank
Harold
Jack
Kenneth
Raymond
David
Walter
Jose
Billy
Arthur
Eugene
Louis
Henry
Ralph
Harry
Joe
Carl
Roy
Howard
Albert
Ronald
Fred
Herbert
Clarence
Earl
Gerald
Ernest
Willie

Girls' Names
Mary
Betty
Dorothy
Helen
Barbara
Margaret
Maria
Patricia
Doris
Ruth
Joan
Shirley
Dolores
Jean
Virginia
Anna
Elizabeth
Lois
Frances
Mildred
Marie
Alice
Joyce
Evelyn
Marilyn
Gloria
Nancy
Phyllis
Norma
Rose
Marjorie
Louise
Catherine
Florence
Beverly
Rita
Martha
Irene
Ann
Donna

1940's Most Popular Names

Boys' Names
James
Robert
John
William
Richard
Charles
David
Thomas
Donald
Ronald
Joseph
George
Larry
Kenneth
Jerry
Michael
Paul
Edward
Jose
Frank
Raymond
Gary
Gerald
Walter
Joe
Lawrence
Henry
Jack
Dennis
Peter
Roger
Billy
Harold
Bobby
Carl
Juan
Eugene
Daniel
Anthony
Ralph

Girls' Names
Mary
Barbara
Patricia
Carol
Judith
Betty
Nancy
Maria
Margaret
Linda
Shirley
Sandra
Joyce
Joan
Dorothy
Carolyn
Elizabeth
Janice
Helen
Virginia
Janet
Donna
Sharon
Judy
Marilyn
Martha
Jean
Gloria
Doris
Frances
Ruth
Karen
Alice
Beverly
Phyllis
Ann
Norma
Peggy
Rose
Susan

Enjoy-
JX

GOK

One Too Many
Slightly off topic but has anyone here read Freakonomics by Levitt & Dubner? There's a very interesting section on popular babies' names througout different eras and how what you name your child can affect it later in life. I'd recommend anyone considering one of the more popular 'fashion' names read this first! (So speaks the woman that named her youngest son, Ziggy!) :D

Elaina

One Too Many
Eh I actually prefer really old names. My son was named after my Uncle who was the closest thing to a grandfather I had, and it was his last name: Casey (becuase he hated being called J.M. and went by Casey). Other then that if I have a girl it'll still be Theodosia and that's from the early 1800's. Give it 5 minutes and you'll like it too.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
It's amazing at how most of the names seem so...smart, sensible, lovely, classic... as opposed to the (as my mother likes to say) 'soap opera names' of today.

Avalon

A-List Customer
katiemakeup said:
It's amazing at how most of the names seem so...smart, sensible, lovely, classic... as opposed to the (as my mother likes to say) 'soap opera names' of today.

Are you implying "Apple" and "Moxie Crimefighter" aren't sensible and classic? lol

GOK

One Too Many
Avalon said:
Are you implying "Apple" and "Moxie Crimefighter" aren't sensible and classic? lol

:eusa_clap

One of my chums is a midwife and told me of a rather young couple that named their baby.......Burberry :eek: Even more shocking was that when the boyfriend visited the mother in hospital he said their friends wanted to know if she'd be back at school, after half term. :( (They were both 15.)

Avalon

A-List Customer
GOK said:
:eusa_clap

One of my chums is a midwife and told me of a rather young couple that named their baby.......Burberry :eek:

Was it a lass or was it a lad?
Either way, baby's gonna be plaid.

*runs*

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
My favorite name for a male is John. (Pronounced 'jawn' by me.) Before my hubby and I got married we discussed children and I said he could choose the names. He picked Xavier and Isabella. We never had children.
Still hope for John!

Those are cool names.:eusa_clap Your husband must be Spanish.[huh]

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Older, classic names are actually competing very well in popularity versus the fabricated names of today, e.g. "Nevaeh", which is heaven spelled backwards. At my job the other day, a little girl was running away from her parents into our kid's department, and her mom called out, "Vivian, come back here!" I found it adorable that a little toddler could have such a distinguished and beautiful name.

Other classic names are also incredibly popular these days, especially Olivia, Isabella, Sophia, Abigail, Ava, Emma, and Amelia.

Boys' names tend to resist the trendiness that plagues girls' names. The fifteen most popular boys' names for 2005 were:*

1. Jacob
  2. Michael
  3. Joshua
  4. Matthew
  5. Ethan
  6. Andrew
  7. Daniel
  8. Anthony
  9. Christopher
  10. Joseph
  11. William
  12. Alexander
  13. Ryan
  14. David
  15. Nicholas

With the possible exception of Ryan, all of these names have been widely used for a very long time.

* From the Social Security Administration survey. These fifteen names represent about 14% of baby boys born in 2005.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo