Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Baby Names from 20's thru 40's

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I thought for sure my daughter's name, Daisy would be on the 1920s list, however I suppose the name was more popular in the late 1800/ early 1900s.

By the way...my daughter met another 2 year old little boy today that had the name I hadn't heard in quite sometime...his name was Walter! And he was adorable!

I noticed some discussion to the name Walter below. I really think the name is quite wonderful!

GOK

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
What ever happened to Charles or Charlie (my grandfather), Richard, George, or Herbert? How many girls are named Geraldine (my grandmother), Eloise, Susan, Elisabeth, or Barbara these days?

My daughter is an Elizabeth! :D

jamespowers said:
Sometimes I think people go to the food section to name their kids too. Chito and Chip!? Pretty soon they are going to name them after candy bars like U-NO, Peppermint Paddy, Kiss, Almond Joy, Mars and even Twix. :eusa_doh: [huh]

It's been done! Referencing 'that' book again, there is a case mentioned of twin boys called.....

....are you ready for this?

OranJello & LemonJello. The parents claimed the names were pronounced Aron Zhello & LeMon Zhello :eek: Even worse, Roland G. Fryer Jr. received a call from a woman who said she was upset with people not pronouncing her niece's name correctly. Apparently it should have been pronounced Shuh-teed; however, it was spelled Sh*thead. WTF?

Why? Why do parents do this? Do they think they are being clever?

On the subject of pronunciation, I get quite annoyed when people mis-pronounce my name. It's Nic?¥le - pronounced Nick-oll (that's what the circumflex is there for, to soften the o). It's not Nick-cole, or Nicholl or, gods forbid, Nicola (I hate, hate, hate that!). I do wish people would get it right. :mad:

Harry Angel

New in Town
Hello all,this seems like as good as place as any to introduce myself.My name is Harold(grandfather)Sebastian(father) and growing up I hated my name.It did'nt help that my mom did'nt like anyone to call me Harry.I longed to have a "normal" name like my brother,Robert.As I got older learned to like my name,but I vowed I would give my children "cool" names.Well now I have a5 year old boy named Lucas Elijah.Has no family history, but I think it's sounds good.We chose Lucas because he was concived on a vacation in Cabo San Lucas and Elijah just seemed to fit with my last name.

Warden

One Too Many
We named my daughter Maisie after my Grandmother, she was a big positive influence on my life

img43.gif

When I told my mother, my daughter was to be named after her mother, she cried, which was not the response I was expecting, but I guess it was a very emotional day.

I only wish the two Maisies could have met each other,

Harry

GOK said:
My daughter is an Elizabeth! :D

It's been done! Referencing 'that' book again, there is a case mentioned of twin boys called.....

....are you ready for this?

OranJello & LemonJello. The parents claimed the names were pronounced Aron Zhello & LeMon Zhello :eek: Even worse, Roland G. Fryer Jr. received a call from a woman who said she was upset with people not pronouncing her niece's name correctly. Apparently it should have been pronounced Shuh-teed; however, it was spelled Sh*thead. WTF?

Why? Why do parents do this? Do they think they are being clever?

Not clever just another case where they should be declared legally incompetent to name a child. The naming responsiblity then goes to their parents. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Warden said:
We named my daughter Maisie after my Grandmother, she was a big positive influence on my life

img43.gif

When I told my mother, my daughter was to be named after her mother, she cried, which was not the repsonce I was expecting, but I guess it was a very emotional day.

I only wish the two Maisies could of met each other,

Harry

I had to comment on how wonderful that is. You don't hear the name very often but even more important is how you made your mother feel and the significance of the name to you.

Regards,

J

GOK

One Too Many
Warden said:

img43.gif

When I told my mother, my daughter was to be named after her mother, she cried, which was not the repsonce I was expecting, but I guess it was a very emotional day.

I only wish the two Maisies could of met each other,

Harry

:eek:fftopic: (slightly) Peas. In. A. Pod! :D

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I think probably one of the most attractive names for a girl would be something like "Elizabeth Ann". A most manly, rugged name for a boy would be, oh, "Christopher Dean"...which happens to be my name!:D

I believe there's somebody near here named "Justin Case". His parents were either stoned, or they are just always that stupid.

griffer

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Walther and not Walter? My gf was Paul Walther and I'm named for him, only with Walton (another old family name) in place of Walther. (Ggf was a Mo. Synod Lutheran pastor and Dr. Carl Walther the greatly revered cofounder of the Synod.)

I am German and Welsh.

Wanted to use the germanic spelling.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
I am fascinated by names. The link below is a brilliant resource - don't think anyone's posted it yet. It shows you the changing popularity of names over time in the USA with a great graph (though it's slow to load). Hours of fun in the office (!).

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

You can see the way history affects naming patterns. You can see waves of immigration producing new names... and I love things like the amazing tailing of Adolf by 1920... and 'Butch' goes downhill rapidly in the 1970s after, er, it acquires other connotations!

Wish they'd do one for Britain

TOTTIE said:
I am fascinated by names. The link below is a brilliant resource - don't think anyone's posted it yet. It shows you the changing popularity of names over time in the USA with a great graph (though it's slow to load). Hours of fun in the office (!).

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

You can see the way history affects naming patterns. You can see waves of immigration producing new names... and I love things like the amazing tailing of Adolf by 1920... and 'Butch' goes downhill rapidly in the 1970s after, er, it acquires other connotations!

Wish they'd do one for Britain

Hmmm.... Adolph. Now there would be an interesting name. :p I wonder how Benito did after WWII in Italy. :D

Regards,

J

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was growing up my first name was considered so unusual, especially for an American female, people would hear my full name and ask which was my first name. Um, Black is not my first name. I still am flalbbergasted that my name made it to the top of the list some years back. Wow. My family's first names will never make it to any list:
Kell
VanWyck
Hubert
Fannie
Belle
Jean (later changed his nom to John, so he did make it to a list)
Aubrey
Sister
Bertrille
Pinckney
Wilma
Minnie
Essie

Roger

A-List Customer
I see my name; Roger has held steady through the years.:eusa_clap I personally do not like naming children for the latest fad. My wife and I preferred names that instilled pride in our Portuguese heritage.

The Boys;
Rocky Joao
Ernest Joaquin
Justin Francisco

The Girls;
Teresa Maria
Elvira Isabella

Roger

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Slightly off topic but has anyone here read Freakonomics by Levitt & Dubner? There's a very interesting section on popular babies' names througout different eras and how what you name your child can affect it later in life. I'd recommend anyone considering one of the more popular 'fashion' names read this first! (So speaks the woman that named her youngest son, Ziggy!) :D

Yes, names should reflect a cultural leaning or strong, authoritative names. Something that makes people stand up and take notice. A lot of people go with the odd but also a lot of people go with the dull and mundane. Some are just lazy and pick something out of a photo album.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
How about names from the 19th century?

Ulysses
Endymion
Goodloe
Henrietta
Hadassa
Melvina
Lavinia
Deidameia
Estimate (I'm not making this up)
Marionette (I re-iterate)
Lemonyne
Keziah
Poultney
Linnaeus
Ebenezer (One of my favourites)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
CharlieH. said:
How about names from the 19th century?

Ulysses
Endymion
Goodloe
Henrietta
Hadassa
Melvina
Lavinia
Deidameia
Estimate (I'm not making this up)
Marionette (I re-iterate)
Lemonyne
Keziah
Poultney
Linnaeus
Ebenezer (One of my favourites)
Don't forget; Ezequial, Francis, Emmanuel, Wyatt

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Fatdutchman said:
I am not real wild about the names that are popular today (I'm not wild about ANYTHING that is popular today!).

Girls will be named "Madison" (ugh), "Michaela" (or even worse; "Makayla"), and any number of other made-up and grossly misspelled names.

Hey, hey. Lets not go knocking the name Madison ;) My parents actually named me looong before all of these new Madison's came along. When I was little, the name Madison was unheard of, and now, there are tons of little Madison's. Its quite annoying to hear my name being shouted all the time. I guess us girls named Madison are quite the trouble makers :D

Avalon

A-List Customer
Madison Paige said:
Hey, hey. Lets not go knocking the name Madison ;) My parents actually named me looong before all of these new Madison's came along. When I was little, the name Madison was unheard of, and now, there are tons of little Madison's. Its quite annoying to hear my name being shouted all the time. I guess us girls named Madison are quite the trouble makers :D

My cousin's name is Madison Paige. ;) She'll be 7 in March.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My dad wanted to name me Isabel Jack, after my great-grandmother (Jack is apparently used as a woman's middle name in Scotland), but instead my mom got her way and now I am a Meredith. I'm so disappointed, I love the name Isabel.

So I think when I have children, if I have a boy he will be Jack, and my girl will be Isabel! If I can't have those names then someone must!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo