Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
New member of the Topper club

7824573762_ca2b582f3f_b.jpg

Looks great! What brand of topper is that? (I assume it's new or contemporary)

MissMittens

One Too Many
Looks great! What brand of topper is that? (I assume it's new or contemporary)

Yes, it is contemporary unfortunately. Finding an antique 7 3/4 topper is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. It's a Selentino beaver topper with grosgrain and a silk band. Not one of the usual cheapies that you would find from Selentino. Unfortunately the contrast is a little too dark to see, and the hat looks dull and doesn't show it's shine. It's not as slick a shine as some toppers I've seen though, but in person puts silk hats to shame.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Or something VERY vaguely thereunto resembling. Sorry I missed you, roadierfl. You MUST come to Club Wits End this Saturday.

I would love to, however, two trips to the city from Delaware in one week is probably outside the realm of possibility for me I'm afraid. That being said, as it's seemingly a monthly event, I shall definitely make the trip soon.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
So I got a new top hat for me recently and my it's tall compared to my old one which barely made it 13,5 cm on the front this new one makes a whopping 15,5 cm. It came with a mourning band as you can see and the price wasn't bad either. Now I would be interested about the period which my hat was made in, 1920's? 1910's? Even earlier? Do any of you recognize the company?

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

This last picture is just because I want to illustrate the difference of 2 cm and that my old doesn't have to be alone anymore :rolleyes: .

IMG_0093.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic pair!

I have a question for you topper experts/historians:

I watched "Wuthering Heights" with my wife over the past few evenings, and one of the main characters wears a top hat with what appears to be a pleated double sided shark's gill bow in the front of the hat. I've never seen any gentleman's hat with a bow on the front, nor have I seen examples of shark's gill bows at all on hats from the 19th Century, but it sure looked neat. Is there any historical basis for that particular costumer's decision?

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
19th century Dunlap & Co.

Today this arrived in the mail:

beauty.jpeg

brown-silk-topper.jpeg

front.jpeg

It's a very tall crown, exactly 7 inches from brim to tip, straight tube and only a slight concave slope on the sides. Given the brim, crown shape and height, ribbon, and lining, it's probably 1890s at the latest. 23 1/4 Inches, or 7 3/8 US sizing.

comparison.jpeg

It was advertised as a vintage silk topper, and in the seller's photos it appears black. In person it looks black unless you have something to compare it to. The difference is pretty stark next to a black 1920s Knox topper.

topper-2-thirds.jpeg

dunlap-co-interior.jpeg

Last edited:
NewTurnOfPhrase, Great 19th Century Topper!

Charlie, Thanks for the translation! By the way do you have any info on the Silk Plush the Silk Top Hat people are using?

-30-

A-List Customer
"One more, post-water polish:"
QUOTE - newturnofphrase.

The only words that describe the above is SLICK SILK!

Regards,
-30-

Topper

Vendor
It appears to be what is called a "fly's wing" Black.

It is not a "Brown" !

Funnily I saw one elsewhere labeled as Brown ..... and the company was trying tosell it for Ascot. But for the Enclosure one can not only have Black or Grey! rofl - So if it were brown the person couldn't wear it in Enclosure! Duh!

I have had a number in similar colour, sometimes the crown is in Fly's wing, the brim plush moreso a "jet" black, others have brim side crown and tip crown in the same shade of Black. They are harder to come by, and some people think worth more, but from what i have seen, most people prefer a more traditional jet black.

When polishing down makes the over all colour difference appearance less diminished ( even with flys wing varient) more "patent" black, as one sees the sheen more so that then colour.

Water polish is not the best to "keep" a polish appearance as it brushed out easily, also when it drus it leaves blotched /ragged splotches.... If you are buying a hat though what a water polish can do - is quickly show any imperfections/creases underneath more easily.

Last edited:

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that interesting historical information, topper! It appears to be a fairly vivid (though dark) brown when not still nearly sopping wet and in diffuse daylight, and even when wet (and darker) it's about the colour of chocolate. I will prefer my own eyes on this one and label it a dark brown. Certainly not a goldish coachman's brown.

The water polish revealed no structural damage whatsoever, and has left the hat quite beautiful without blotched or ragged spots.

Last edited:

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can date this hat and tell me if it's silk or beaver (not like any beaver hat I've ever handled) or anything else. I don't know anything about top hats. This was shown to me by an antique collector over the weekend - she didn't seem to know very much about it. Small size! My wife said it barely fit on her head and she has a small bean, for sure. Just curious!

Had some brim binding wear on sides so that the cardboard was revealed - otherwise looked pretty good! I took some quick iPhone picks - poor quality, but it was a dark house.
Labeled John Wanamaker Philadelphia - New York - Paris

8113038915_22f38c494b.jpg

8113038997_b5496e7fe3.jpg

8113039121_5fb9610e27.jpg

8113047506_77f5bb7075.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner