Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Topper

Vendor
If done umbrella test then sounds ok, provided not too tight! eg red marks when taking off then reasonable, I don't normally go by old photos (who says they were wearing it correctly themselves!) Comfort is the most important thing, can you wear if for hours without removing then would be happy.

ttnf "Game of Thrones" on the Box :D

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Already tried that, bent every which way, even upside down and it doesn't shift.

The fit seems to be more like these late-Victorian gents:

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Modern orthodoxy is to wear it down at the ears and a centimeter or two above eyebrows, however almost all historical examples from that era show people wearing them substantially higher.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
My new silk topper arrived today. It's in much better condition than the one I picked up about a month ago, but is a bit more snug (it was advertised as being the same size, but it does sit higher). A nice curve to the brim and crown, no flaws to the silk. My only conern is fit. What say you, gents?
SAM_0743.jpg

SAM_0744.jpg

SAM_0755.jpg

SAM_0757.jpg

This one is a bit clearer and shows the shine better. I'll give it a proper brush and polish later.
SAM_0767.jpg

Wow, what s stunning, curvy top hat, you look so regal. The fit is perfect, too many people wear their top hat only just above the ears like a fedora. The way you have it is perfect. Have you tried to conform it?

Dronak

Familiar Face
FWIW, I do have one top hat, but it's just one from Men's Wearhouse that I bought when I rented a morning suit for my wedding. It was part of a small accessory set that had the hat, a plastic? cane, and white gloves. I've got it stored away, because it doesn't seem like the kind of hat I'd want to wear that often. But it's nice to have it for possible future use.

Edit: Here's a picture (I had to remember where I stored the hat).

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since we haven't seen any ancient toppers lately I'll post the newest arrival:

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

Made by John C Yeager of Philadelphia in the 1840's/50's. In 1839, John and his brother were manufacturing hats at 155 N 3rd St with a rear entrance at 404 N 3rd. By 1844 they are using the 163 N 3rd St address depicted in the crown.

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Ready for the races! The grey top hat is italian made by Guerra from harefelt which is good. Not so good is that it doesn´t fit exactly because of the shape of my head. Our member Topper gave me some insight what should be done to get a better fitting top hat but unfortunately I can´t find the time this year. Provided I will visit Ascot again next year (what I hope for) I might pay him a visit. The Guerra will do this year, it isn´t that bad after all.

DSCN2522.jpg

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Welcome to the club! :D Unfortunatley I will have to wait for next year´s Ascot to wear mine again. Not too many occasions on the continent for wearing
a top hat.... [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran