Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You give me new hope, Brad. That's my size, so they can be found. A beautiful hat.
I would have also pegged it at late 19th century. Interesting.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yes, they're out there, but as we've found out, we usually have no idea of the real size until the hat is received. I was certainly suprised I could pull it down on my head. There's a cloth-wrapped steel spring under the sweatband, with only a couple of stitches holding it in. I'm assuming it's there to help hold the shape, but if I remove it, the hat might fit better.

I suppose the hat could have been a hand-me-down, making it older.

One thing I noticed, going back through this thread, is that the sweatbands on all of the hat I've seen are are installed with a normal orientation, meaning, if you're looking at the inside of the hat, the top of the maker's crest is on the same side as the back of the hat and the sweatband seam, just like any other hat I've ever seen, top hat or not. On my hat, the sweatband seam aligns with the bottom of the Knapp-Felt crest. Anybody have an explanation, other than a factory mistake, which doesn't seem likely?lol

I'm torn about the hat regarding repair/restoration. It would be nice to wear it, though I have no idea when I would ever be invited somewhere that I'd need morning dress or white tie. I do use my hats in my lectures, as my students are interested in my historical pieces. Photographs for my research would also look better it if has new binding.

This would necessitate replacing the binding on the edge. I'd also replace the sweatband, but keep the original leather for some vestige of historical integrity, as leather this old wouldn't stand up to wear for very long.

I'll have to think long and hard about this one, and look into the cost to have done. If I can safely remove the crown ribbon, I can replace the sweatband myself, but the edge binding I'd leave to a top hat professional.

Brad

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
You give me new hope, Brad. That's my size, so they can be found. A beautiful hat.
I would have also pegged it at late 19th century. Interesting.

I picked up a Knox 7 3/8 LO earlier in the year off EBAY...and I'm amazed I got it at the price I did. That said...there sure aren't many larger sized vintage toppers out there, let alone the LOs.

Bernie

m000m000

One of the Regulars
50$ for a relatively good condition 7 3/8 LO silk topper is equivalent to robbing the bank if you ask me.

Maybe I should I start trying my luck on no-size-listed -auctions too... :D

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
I'm torn about the hat regarding repair/restoration. It would be nice to wear it, though I have no idea when I would ever be invited somewhere that I'd need morning dress or white tie. I do use my hats in my lectures, as my students are interested in my historical pieces. Photographs for my research would also look better it if has new binding.

If for nothing else than to wear it to class, it'd be worth it (barring the cost running you into the quadruple digits, or something extreme like that). One of the history professors at the college where I got my lib arts degree used to come to class dressed according to the time period being covered. He had an extensive collection of authentic and repro menswear from most periods in American history, going from Colonial to Late Victorian. It always made an impression, and in a good way. (It also rocked to see a guy in Revolutionary War garb marching around campus playing the bagpipes).

Lokar

A-List Customer
I finally got some velvet to polish my top hat with. Rather than follow Charlie Huang's advise and pour water on the hat, I used a spray bottle with a mist option and then polished the hat. It worked fantastically, although it highlights the structural damage on the hat (look at the middle of the left side for an example). One day I'll get it repaired, but I don't use it enough (or at all) at the moment, so I can't justify the expense.

I erred on the side of caution, and so didn't soak the hat as much as perhaps I should, but I think I'll risk it some day soon to get the sheen completely perfect.

MustangLoverMex

New in Town
My new Topper

Hello my friends!
What do you think about this baby?

VTH2-1.jpg

Regards,
-Mike

CRH

Call Me a Cab
MustangLoverMex said:
Hello my friends!
What do you think about this baby?

I think the baby is fine but the goggles are pushing the style boundaries into oblivion. ;)

Well done Mr. Mex! :eusa_clap

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That is quite the beauty, as are the goggles (a little steampunk, are we?).

In your best interest, however, I reccomend either some mustache wax to neaten up the whiskers, or a trim.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
...I reccomend either some mustache wax to neaten up the whiskers, or a trim.

Good idea.

In my teens I had a Sunday school teacher with a handlebar 'stash to die for. He used to joke that he used it to measure his faith. ;)

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Lokar said:
I finally got some velvet to polish my top hat with. Rather than follow Charlie Huang's advise and pour water on the hat, I used a spray bottle with a mist option and then polished the hat. It worked fantastically, although it highlights the structural damage on the hat (look at the middle of the left side for an example). One day I'll get it repaired, but I don't use it enough (or at all) at the moment, so I can't justify the expense.

I erred on the side of caution, and so didn't soak the hat as much as perhaps I should, but I think I'll risk it some day soon to get the sheen completely perfect.

Oh, fantastic! :eusa_clap

MustangLoverMex

New in Town
Yeps said:
That is quite the beauty, as are the goggles (a little steampunk, are we?).

In your best interest, however, I reccomend either some mustache wax to neaten up the whiskers, or a trim.

Well, it looked like that because it was just a quick picture with my cellphone haha. And sadly I shaved completelly because of the graduation picture and all the "official" documents... But now is growing again haha.

High regards!
-Alfonso

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I bought one of Patey's top hat cases:

26448_378553582062_688147062_4318923_5440014_n.jpg

http://www.pateyhats.com/category/hat-bags/

This case is made of reinforced canvas with leather trimmings and is good for general light transportation of a topper. If you want a hard heavy case good enough to go through an airport and abroad, you should get the wooden leather-covered one that has a combination lock.

26448_378553587062_688147062_4318924_5155934_n.jpg

This is how you should put the topper in. You must first line the bottom of the case with a folded sheet of light packing paper to avoid the silk nap rubbing in the rough lining. You should also put another sheet on top of the topper afterwards over the brim edges to stop them rubbing on the sides.

26448_378553592062_688147062_4318925_2376615_n.jpg

The mark 1 had a tartan lining. Note that the case isn't very deep IMO. You shouldn't really put toppers higher than 5 3/4" in.

I needed one as the box that came with the topper is not fit for transporting the topper around.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
It is silk. The underbrim requires a clean as the browning shows up when you wear it.

I've got my new topper today:

Before polish
!BqscTFQBWk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEu,uq(rW(BLwhfNH-Ew~~_3.JPG

After polish
15312_385970077062_688147062_4523464_5291440_n.jpg

The condition is good but there needs to be some renovation work to iron out the lumps and bumps (you can see one at the top). I've removed the black wool mourning band as there was a silk grosgrain one underneath it.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great looking outfit and topper Charlie! :eusa_clap Still waiting on mine back from Patey, but I did hear they shipped it a few weeks ago...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw