Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toys not to get your kids

My dad always laughed when we were kids, because we'd get just as much fun out of the box the toy came in, as we did the toy.

The best toy to give any kid is an empty box. Just stand back and let them do the rest.

Oh, how this brings back fond memories! When my parents upgraded to touch tones, we got the old rotaries to play with, that hobby kinda stuck lol

I had a phone of my own when I was 3.

fisherpricephone.jpg

I don't see why a kid would need an iPod, personally. Not one that young, anyways. We had an AM/FM radio next to the bed and that was plenty good.

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
My husband is the ultimate tech head shall we say and which is why he would think nothing of buying him an ipod touch. Our son has always been around technology and has a natural ability like his father with it too. Something that will in time be allowed to develop. But to start with I want for him to have a balance for other interests. Creative play, reading, writing, the outdoors, the arts etc.
In England Dr Who toys have been launched to coincide with the new series, so as the 11th Dr is mainly made out of plastic and cotton I don't think I have to worry about lead paint (but I will check)... I don't think Dr Who is really inappropriate either for a 5 year old, all my uncles would regale me with stories of how they sat behind the sofa in the 60s watching Dr Who...its a British rite of passage (bit like days at the beach hut/ice creams along the prom/crabbing/pints of prawns & ginger beer)...its on BBC 1 which is heavily regulated and its on well before the watershed... perhaps I am wrong? We sit as a family and watch it together. There is also a Dr Who magazine every thursday that I would say was my sons demographic as it appeals to him... my son has attended Montessori education from 2 so I am very child led (to a certain degree) and I believe in extended learning. My 5 year old happily reads the magazine comic strips that are featured too...

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The newer Dr. Who shows can be a bit more scary than the old ones. My kids love Dr. Who, both old and new. However, when mine were that age, we would DVR the episodes and watch them first before letting them watch. The crying angels episodes are very scary to a sensitive kid.

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
I think you are right in that by comparison to the older series, the newer episodes have the technological means to deliver better special effects. There are some epidsodes perhaps scarier than others also. Dr Who isn't a children's show, it is a family program. One to be watched (or vetted as you do) by the family. Family shows usually mean that they are steered away from any violence or sexual material, but perhaps have more complex storylines as opposed to a children's program. If he was ever too scared we can turn it off, or he can leave the room. But aslong as you explain that none of it is real I think they are ok. When I hear the language and violence in a BEN 10 cartoon thats when I get annoyed. Perhaps I am backwards.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But to start with I want for him to have a balance for other interests. Creative play, reading, writing, the outdoors, the arts etc.

That's the primary problem with most parents- they don't do it like you do. They don't encourage balance in their children. The person I mentioned who bought an iPad for his 3 year old (and bought 2 more that year because the first two were broken by the child) thinks nothing of letting the child play with the iPad for hours on end. Just because it's more "interactive" or "educational" than TV doesn't mean that your child doesn't need to have other activities, like you mentioned. Now, I think most parents occasionally need to use the screen as a babysitter for a while to get something done, but it shouldn't be an all the time thing for hours on end.

I have to admit, I find it rather disturbing that my colleague burnt through at least $1,500 on iPads for a child in less than a year. I know that toys cost a lot more nowdays, but that seems excessive to end up spending on one holiday, especially since so many parents in my area are struggling to give their child anything.

Every holiday season there seems to be that one hot item that everyone is willing to give their right arm and their firstborn for and it's almost always something electronic. Somehow, my own concept of technology isn't that far from this. :p

[video=youtube;kAG39jKi0lI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI[/video]

Last edited:

PoohBang

Suspended
The newer Dr. Who shows can be a bit more scary than the old ones. My kids love Dr. Who, both old and new. However, when mine were that age, we would DVR the episodes and watch them first before letting them watch. The crying angels episodes are very scary to a sensitive kid.

Those episodes with the angles were very scary for sure. I grew up also watching Dr. Who, and it has changed, mostly for the good, but I do miss the total cheese of the original series. But many of the episodes are quite tame and enjoyable for all ages.

Do you have children Sheeplady?

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
Thats alot of ipads, and alot of money.

I think sometimes when a family has a disposable income that can sustain such expensive gifts its hard to draw a fine line between what's appropriate and then whats just plain extravagant. Some people like being the latter though. For example, some people can afford to put sky tv in each room of their home and even in their children's bedrooms, but just because you can afford to do this, doesn't always mean its a good idea.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Let's not forget that Lizzie's toy phone would in all likelihood have been manufactured to a different set of standards than the same toy produced today. Iow, if Lizzie's (or my) toy phone had lead paint on it, then today's version would not. I would definitely buy that toy for a small child today, especially if s/he was a little chatterbox.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Do you have children Sheeplady?

No, I don't have children. I'm at the age, however, where most of my colleagues and friends do or have decided not to, so I've seen a lot of variety in lifestyles with children. The ideal, to me, seems everything in moderation. My ideas about the media come from working so closely with the media and knowing a lot of media and children researchers.

I do know it's not good for me to slouch down and spend 5 hours in front of the TV at night. It may be beacuse I spend 10 hours at the computer most days and I really don't want anymore screen time. I also am a bit old fashioned in that I like the idea of a family gathering around the TV to watch a movie or a program together. I think that media, when it works well, is a shared experience that helps bring a family together.

I get wanting your child to have an awesome holiday, I really do. When I have children, I'll probably go overboard too. But I agree with hellsbells, just because someone has the income doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do something.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thats alot of ipads, and alot of money.

I think sometimes when a family has a disposable income that can sustain such expensive gifts its hard to draw a fine line between what's appropriate and then whats just plain extravagant. Some people like being the latter though. For example, some people can afford to put sky tv in each room of their home and even in their children's bedrooms, but just because you can afford to do this, doesn't always mean its a good idea.
This is soooo true. My sister's kids have ALL the electronics, phones, gadgets, ect. They just don't see them as extravagant gifts. To them, the electronic gadgets are no different than when the kids were little and got a bunch of American Girl dolls and accessories or the $200 Lego kits. To them, these are just what teenagers have. for my family, an American Girl doll is just as much out of our price range as an iPhone.

Connery

One Too Many
just because someone has the income doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do something.
There is a balance as far as I am concerned. A child could learn the value of a dollar by working for an allowance. Sharing that allowance in contributing for a gift (pajamas or needed items) for children less fortuante during Christmas. Giving of themselves by visiting a nursing home with some store bought goodies to hand out to those so inclined to receive them. In other words, "if ya got it then share it" the lessons learned and the gift of gratitude will never be forgotten by child or the parent for that matter. Hence the spirit of the holiday is brought forth.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR