Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tragic news in the vintage collector world

timorous me

Familiar Face
John and Luray of Ebay seller Gridlesvintage, as well as their five-year-old daughter, were found dead in their home last night in an apparent murder-suicide.

I'm sure many of you, like myself, have bought items from them or admired their fabulous listings. I have had many transactions with the couple and they have always seemed most lovely and pleasant. Luray was said to have been diagnosed with stage IV cancer recently, which may have contributed to what happened, but it is absolutely tragic that it came to this.

You can view the story here.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I myself had a purchase from them a little over a year ago and just now when looking through their eBay feedback I saw other lounge members had bought from them too. They sent me email updates about their bussiness quite recently...very tragic indeed.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Such sad and bewildering news.

I too have bought from them. The first vintage outfit I ever purchased was from their ebay store. She was so incredibly helpful, her store has been the first saved store on my favorites list since I started collecting vintage.

Very sad, very tragic.....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Very sad news. I always remembered their ebay id from her family pictures on their listings. The heartbreak they must have shared struggling with their issues. Poor little Ruby.
I feel for their family and friends.
Nikki

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I find this very sad and tragic, but it also makes me very angry. Whatever their problems, they had no right to take their daughter's life as well. What a despicable act. I'm sorry. That's just how I feel.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I find this very sad and tragic, but it also makes me very angry. Whatever their problems, they had no right to take their daughter's life as well. What a despicable act. I'm sorry. That's just how I feel.

I agree exactly with you. This is rather a child murder and a weak man rather than a tragedy of a woman in cancer.
I had the exact same constellation in my family (although we weren't children any more) but my parents weren't insane to kill me and my sister just because we were about to loose our mother by a fatal cancer.
Togetherness is no excuse.

fernande

Vendor
HungaryTom said:
I agree exactly with you. This is rather a child murder and a weak man rather than a tragedy of a woman in cancer.
I had the exact same constellation in my family (although we weren't children any more) but my parents weren't insane to kill me and my sister just because we were about to loose our mother by a fatal cancer.
Togetherness is no excuse.

I agree! I read this post when it went up and hesistated to reply- I was really ANGRY and shocked- and sad- and although whats done is done, and I completely offer my sympathy to the family. I feel what they did is shameful concerning their daughter.

I also had been a customer of grindles- and only last week had viewed their listings on Ebay. This kind of creeped me out a bit-

Its just my humble opinion- but I feel-No one has the right to take the life of another person- let alone a small child, someone who trusted and loved unconditionally- this bothered me all day - so much that I mentioned being upset about it, while on the phone with my mother- I mentioned the cancer- my mother- who is a cancer survivor, was equally sad-
she also told me that she can count 5 or more of her personal friends (in her cancer support group) that have stage 4 cancer and are walking around- fighting, and making progress. She said it is not a death sentence- its an obstacle, but it can be fought-
ITs sad Luray didn't even want to try to get better or...to want to live.
In this situation, we have to think that some other emtional issues were going on- I guess we will never know.
I have no idea what sort of medical obstacles Luray was facing- the type of cancer, ect- and to be uninsured was probably very scary and overwhelming- (I've been there msyelf- it stinks- especially if you have a health problem)-
and like many loungers I'm sure-I've had friends and family in the past that have been in the depths of despair and they always say that if you just wait until the morning.....

I really enjoyed their items- as ebay sellers they put up very interesting pieces, and nice mens vintage-:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :mad:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry to hear anyone dying before their time.

I don't think any of us should be jumping to conclusions as to the reason for their deaths. The three of them passed away suddenly and we should respect the situation.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I have stated a firm opinion.
I won't correct it.
If a mother has a cancer she can fight against it - she didn't.
A husband can still decide to fight for the sake of the beloved 4 yo daughter -bringing up yer own child is often the only reason to continue when you loose everything.
Here, deliberate decisions were taken - not an accident happened like a wrongly ventillated chimney kills a family from CO poisoning. That would have been a simple tragedy.

What happened here, can't be changed - that is true.

Even if they were good honest e-bay sellers and folks here might have been their clients obtaining fine vintage that has nothing to do with this!!!!

What happened here was murder.

Sorry I can't replace my view with something like "oooh that is sad".

It is not a loss of a source of good vintage gear at reasonable prices it is a loss of Ruby.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
HungaryTom said:
I have stated a firm opinion.
I won't correct it.
If a mother has a cancer she can fight against it - she didn't.
A husband can still decide to fight for the sake of the beloved 4 yo daughter -bringing up yer own child is often the only reason to continue when you loose everything.
Here, deliberate decisions were taken - not an accident happened like a wrongly ventillated chimney kills a family from CO poisoning. That would have been a simple tragedy.

What happened here, can't be changed - that is true.

Even if they were good honest e-bay sellers and folks here might have been their clients obtaining fine vintage that has nothing to do with this!!!!

What happened here was murder.

Sorry I can't replace my view with something like "oooh that is sad".

It is not a loss of a source of good vintage gear at reasonable prices it is a loss of Ruby.

I couldn't have said it better myself HT. As an adult you want to give in and take your own life, fine. But to take the life of a little child for your own selfish reasons to me you're a piece of the worst kind of refuse. I hope there is a special place in the afterlife for people like this. The only pity I have is for that little girl.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In fairness, they said her cancer had reached the final stage, and she had very little time left. I've been through this, and there is a point where your time is clearly up. But that still doesn't excuse their actions.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm in total shock. I did buy a jacket from them once, and I've often looked at their listings. It's hard to believe it actually happened. A terrible, unthinkable tragedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran