Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
I wrote the article "An Eternal Classic" on the trench coat in the Fall issue of Classic Style.

It is the finest piece of writing I have ever done and I encourage you all to run out and get it.

We'll be the judge of that, Jones. :p

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Charity/Thrift shop find.

I cannot believe this, as it just 'never' happens to 'me.' But I thought I'd bide my time and if I come across a half decent Burberry (I knew I wanted a traditional DB one), then GREAT. If not, well it wasn't meant to be.

I was nipping back to my car, and just thought I'd have a quick look in a charity shop. Went to the CD's first and browsed there for ten minutes (yes! it could have walked out the door in that time!!). Then had a quick flick through the winter coats and didn't see the trenchcoat first time around. Then something caught my eye, I reached over and 'there' lay the little beaut in all her glory, whispering..."My sweet Prince has finally come!!"

...Well apart from the 'whispering fantasy' that's about how it all unfolded!! and the 'condition' is just A***

3/4 length DB Burberry Trench. All bells and whistles intact eg: Belt and leather buckle, also wrist belts and leather buckles. Lining..etc, all there and in pristine condition. Spot on fit (says a 50, which the feel on me is a Size 42-44, so will go over a jacket easily). It's the traditional taupe colour with 8 button configuration.

Even though these (alongside the likes of Aquesqumare or however one spells it!!) are one of the best on the market right now, it doesn't mean that it's a GREAT jacket!! I still think they are lightweights!! compared to the originals.

Trust me...This can be improved upon gents...BIG TIME!! I NEED the mother of all Trench Coats, something a young Subaltern serving in the Ypres Salient would have been proud to wear! Or Lt.Col DE Lawrence (of Arabia fame) would be seen sporting astride an old Enfield motorbike as he hugged the leafy lanes of England!

Anyway, "cut to the chase..."... "got it for a poney!!"...cost: £25 JOB DONE!!(and more importantly, the money goes to a good cause to help others:) ).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies & Gents...a quick THANK-YOU!!

Just have a look at this thread on Trench Coats.

What a fabulous resource YOU have created for everyone to access and appreciate and a wonderful reference to help all of us make an informed decision on sourcing a great looking trench coat!! :eusa_clap

Thank you for all the continued hard work you've invested in here ;)

Edward

Bartender
Paddy, sounds like a great score. By 3/4 length.... do you mean peacoat length, or Bogie-style knee length?

BTW, finally managed to get mine dry-cleaned - came back looking great (photos when I can manage it, of course!) - there's a bit of a light patch on the sleeve where there was an oil stain, but I'm sure that'll fade in in time. Looking great otherwise.

carter said:
The 46R is much larger than the 48R. Does this mean that the 48R is a European (not US/UK) size? This would make it a 38R for US/UK sizing.

Yes, I think you're on the money there. Mine came from Germany and is labelled a 54R, but fits as a UK 44R. I don't know what the European sizing system is based on (why is it exactly 10 more than the chest size in inches?), but that'll be the difference.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Paddy, That does sound like a great buy and, as you say, the proceeds go to the Charity Shop. Good on ya!

BTW, has anyone else commented on the notion that your current avatar is reminiscent of Spencer Tracey?

Will we be seeing the new trench in your avatar in the near future?

Edward, I believe your observation on the sizing of my 48R is correct. Not only that but the bits on that coat will not be moving to the 46R as they are not the right fit. I'm going to be searching for a belt, wrist belts, and epaulets it seems. :( :)

Looking forward to photo of you in your trench.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
carter said:
BTW, has anyone else commented on the notion that your current avatar is reminiscent of Spencer Tracey?
Will we be seeing the new trench in your avatar in the near future?

Carter, NOPE..never heard my name and Spencers' mentioned in the same sentence before. So 'thankyou!' what a real compliment!!

I'll try and get a pic cobbled together with the new coat!!

Edward: It is the 'Bogie' length in that it reaches 'below' the knee. The lining is integral to the coat (ie: stitched in).

Also, it's made in England and not in the Far East (as some of the newer ones are now).

Thanks gentlemen for the comments as ever!!:)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Burberry Trench, (photos)

BURBERRYCOAT006.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Paddy, looks sharp! Is that three quarter length, then? Admittedly, for years I was told that a pea coat which cuts off just below the bum was three quarter length, but that never sounded right to me. What are the cut off points for the half / 3/4 / full length classifications?

I'm afraid your pictures my crappy photos to shame - I took advantage of having a friend round last night to get a couple of quick shots on the phone camera. They're not great photos at all (and they inexpertly cropped in bitmap format or whatever crappy software I have on this Microsoft box to hide the mess my lounge is in at present, please excuse...).

Gives some idea of the coat, though.

Firstly, the coat fresh from the dry cleaners - note the (circled) light spot. There was a bit of an oilstain on the coat when bought, on that spot. The lighter spot I'm sured will fade in with time, and it looks good. The photo was taken under artificial light in my office, but actually it's exactly as daylight:

DSC00004.jpg

The dry cleaning did scuff the leather on the buckles some, I'm not sure whether to just leave them as are or risk putting something on them. They did warn me this could happen, but it needed done, the straps / belt were dirty.

Worn closed, but with the belt hanging loose:

DSC00005-1.jpg

and open (exposing my typical-day office wear):

DSC00007-1.jpg

Finally, open with the Homberg I just picked up on eBay (I don't think it quite goes with the Burberry so well, though I bought it intending it for wear with black tie / on more formal occasions with a wool overacost anyhow, but hey ho...):

DSC00009-1.jpg

ETA: you can't quite see it, but I am wearing a blazer under that. Jacket is a UK42R, trench a UK44R. Works well.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Edward for those pics!

But why-oh-why can neither of us capture the shear 'cool' of these guys below? [huh]

Oh Edward! the 3/4 is taken from dividing your height from neck to ground into quarters (think of it like that).

TrenchCoatsReference018-1.jpg

casablanca2-1.jpg

WWITrenchcoat.jpg

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
But why-oh-why can neither of us capture the shear 'cool' of these guys below? [huh]

I need a blurrier camera.... sfote shots are a bit more forgiving, I think. My excuse, anyhow... ;)

Oh Edward! the 3/4 is taken from dividing your height from neck to ground into quarters (think of it like that).

Aha! That makes sense, thanks!So full length would be dragging on the ground, effectively?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well the Style Forum piece is as clear as mud.

It claims a Burberry Rep said to 'stay clear of British made Burberrys' and only buy the American made ones[huh] Then another claim is that the American ones use polyester and cotton, while the British ones have full gaberdine cotton...[huh]

First of all, a 'rep' who talks down the company that he works for in any form, isn't likely to be a reputable source of information.

Bottom line:
a)Modern Trenches are not coming up to par.
b)£25 was a fair price to pay, but not $1000 (or £500)!
c) Go and do your own field tests in the shops that sell them.

Feraud

Bartender
PADDY said:
It claims a Burberry Rep said to 'stay clear of British made Burberrys' and only buy the American made ones[huh] Then another claim is that the American ones use polyester and cotton, while the British ones have full gaberdine cotton...[huh]
That was quite a confusing thread. lol

Paddy and Edward, you both look great in your trench coats. I will try to post a few picture of my coat very soon.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud - thank-you, sir. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Paddy - that photo looks great in B&W. With neither offence nor political comment intended.... add in a rifle and replace the fedora with a flat cap, and you could almost pass for a 1923 Irregular in that shot. It's something about the pose - maybe the expression of grim determination?? lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, This has been enjoyable. Both Edward and Paddy wear their Burberry's well.

However, this is my favorite of the recent photos:

WWITrenchcoat.jpg

Paddy, do you know when this was taken? He's wearing leggings if I'm not mistaken. WWI?

Photos of reenactors in their kit wearing Burberry trenchcoats?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Original Great War photo of a British Army Officer.

It's an original photo Carter that I have just recently come across. Shows off the coat nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy