Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

MikeMDC

New in Town
New guy needs help

Hey, I'm new to the forums, and I stumbled upon these forums searching for a trench coat. First off, I found this
http://www.menswear-discounts.com/pd_millennium.cfm
I ordered a 36 regular, and they called me later in the week and said they didn't have that size! But maybe that site will be handy for someone else.

I was wondering though, looking through this thread someone posted the link to the Marine trench coat. They have my size, or so it seems.
http://marineshop.safeshopper.com/130/cat130.htm?861
Does anybody have this? Any pictures?

Thanks,
-mike

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MikeMDC said:
Hey, I'm new to the forums, and I stumbled upon these forums searching for a trench coat. First off, I found this
I ordered a 36 regular, and they called me later in the week and said they didn't have that size! But maybe that site will be handy for someone else.

I was wondering though, looking through this thread someone posted the link to the Marine trench coat. They have my size, or so it seems.

Thanks,
-mike

They look like this.

100_0140.jpg

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
MikeMDC said:

Thanks,
-mike

But I would guess you have to be in the Marines to be allowed to buy one?

carebear

Hemingway Jones said:
So you're a fan and you have been following my writing career? Excellent. I like to think I get better all of the time. Let me know! ;) :)

Oh, by the way. Fantastic article. :eusa_clap

tripreed

New in Town
I'm not sure if this has been brought up in this thread, but has anyone found a particularly good knot to use for tying the belt? The knot I end up with often gets stretched out laterally; I would like a more compact knot. Any suggestions?

carebear

tripreed said:
I'm not sure if this has been brought up in this thread, but has anyone found a particularly good knot to use for tying the belt? The knot I end up with often gets stretched out laterally; I would like a more compact knot. Any suggestions?

What are you using? I use a square knot most of the time. Ties tight but is easy to untie.

tripreed

New in Town
carebear said:
What are you using? I use a square knot most of the time. Ties tight but is easy to untie.

Yes, this is what I was looking for; I just tested this knot and works well. I'm not sure what I was tying before...Thanks for the tip.

Edward

Bartender
I think i must be the only person in the world that fastens the belt with the buckle, as designed! Well, me and Peter Sellers.... :p

robojam

New in Town
And another one

Feraud said:
Make that three of us.

And make that four!
I've been watching this thread for a while but this is my first post here and I just had to chip in on this one. As one who owns several mackintoshes and trenchcoats, none would ever be worn without the belt properly buckled. As it was designed to be!
And never should the ends of belt be stuffed in the pockets, left hanging or even buckled up behind the back as seems common.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here's my trench coat. It's definitely not new but I don't know how old. It's made out of very heavy wool blend of some kind I think. I got it at Goodwill.

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

The tag on the inside pocket. I'm assuming the 5/60 stands for the month/year?
DSCN0507.jpg

I really like this trench. It drapes nicely and has kept me dry in the heaviest downpours. The only thing I think it lacks is a 'gun flap' on the front.
I also tighten up the belt like it was designed to be done. :)

Erik

One of the Regulars
US Marine Corps All-Weather Coat owners:

How's the quality of those coats, especially considering the price? I'm not expecting them to measure up to coats costing 8-10 times more, mind you. Just curious.

Thanks.

Baggers

Practically Family
PADDY said:
It claims a Burberry Rep said to 'stay clear of British made Burberrys' and only buy the American made ones[huh] Then another claim is that the American ones use polyester and cotton, while the British ones have full gaberdine cotton...[huh]

First of all, a 'rep' who talks down the company that he works for in any form, isn't likely to be a reputable source of information.

Bottom line:
a)Modern Trenches are not coming up to par.
b)£25 was a fair price to pay, but not $1000 (or £500)!
c) Go and do your own field tests in the shops that sell them.

Paddy, I'm coming a bit late to this thread, but to provide some context, in 1988 or 89, I worked for a clothing store that had one of Burberry's' first "shops" in the South Central U.S. We sold both the original British made 100% cotton gab DB model and the -- then new -- U.S. made poly cotton blend. The blend sold for $425 and the all cotton for $600, if I remember correctly. At the time, the quality of both seemed equal, although the American made model was definitely lighter in weight.

Oh, if I could only buy one at those prices today, but with the quality of 20 years ago!

Cheers!

Edward

Bartender
Baggers said:
Paddy, I'm coming a bit late to this thread, but to provide some context, in 1988 or 89, I worked for a clothing store that had one of Burberry's' first "shops" in the South Central U.S. We sold both the original British made 100% cotton gab DB model and the -- then new -- U.S. made poly cotton blend. The blend sold for $425 and the all cotton for $600, if I remember correctly. At the time, the quality of both seemed equal, although the American made model was definitely lighter in weight.

Oh, if I could only buy one at those prices today, but with the quality of 20 years ago!

Cheers!

I've encountered both cotton and poly-cotton too, and I agree - the cotton is significantly heavier than the mix. I prefer the full cotton in terms of drape and feel, though I doubt to be honest i could really tell the difference just by sight on someone else. If memory serves, the current price difference between them on the burberry website is around GBP100 / USD200.

robojam

New in Town
How to wear a trenchcoat

Hi,
Sorry it this subject has been done before but I'd like an up to date opinion on the matter of the perceived best type of trenchcoat and the proper way to wear it. I am thinking of making a purchase of a DB mackintosh type trenchcoat but I'm unsure of the correct way to wear it without looking out of place. Should it be buttoned and belted properly or is that seen as too formal or 'official'? I think that looks smartest but how do you perceive image of the smartly worn trenchcoat? Cool, or out of touch? What do you consider to be the best fabric? I'm looking for a completely waterproof version. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24