Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench coat's first outing.

DaveJH

New in Town
A month or so ago I bought my first trench coat. I was delighted when I bought it, and even more delighted when it rained so I had a reason to wear it. Been lurking for a long time, and love this forum, having recently started wearing fedoras myself. Unfortunately I had a university presentation this day and thought that wearing a fedora would mess up my hair and make me look a little too untidy for the presentation, however, had I been out and about shopping, I'd have definitely had my hat on. Anywhere; here it is.

JUZk1.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp, you got the city, the weather, the coat and the style to pull it all together. Bravo! Lookin' good. Make, model and vintage of the coat please?

Worf

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Worf that your overall presentation looks great in that photo - very modern and stylish. I recommend against wearing a hat with that outfit, and at your age. I realize hats are popular around here, but wearing a fedora would add 20 years and make you look like someone who's more interested in the past than the present. There's a time and place for making a personal statement about vintage vs new, and there's a time and place for looking young and brisk and on top of your game like you do in that photo.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A month or so ago I bought my first trench coat. I was delighted when I bought it, and even more delighted when it rained so I had a reason to wear it. Been lurking for a long time, and love this forum, having recently started wearing fedoras myself. Unfortunately I had a university presentation this day and thought that wearing a fedora would mess up my hair and make me look a little too untidy for the presentation, however, had I been out and about shopping, I'd have definitely had my hat on. Anywhere; here it is.

JUZk1.jpg

Dave, you've got a little of the young David McCallum going on there!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I recommend against wearing a hat with that outfit, and at your age. I realize hats are popular around here, but wearing a fedora would add 20 years and make you look like someone who's more interested in the past than the present. There's a time and place for making a personal statement about vintage vs new, and there's a time and place for looking young and brisk and on top of your game like you do in that photo.

Oh please. :eusa_doh: And this at the FEDORA Lounge devoted to the "Golden Era". :D

The only reason one should pass on a Fedora+trench combo is if one wants to avoid "Detective"-related snarks.
But I think it's safe to say that most here aren't really bothered by this anyway. :eek:

Not to say that a Fedora is obligatory - there is plenty of other vintage headwear one could use as well... but I guess a flatcap, beret or Homburg will make one look "old fashioned" and "undynamic" as well. Oh the horror. :rolleyes:

DaveJH said:
thought that wearing a fedora would mess up my hair and make me look a little too untidy for the presentation

Actually a hat will help keep your (I assume pomaded) hair back... to keep them dapper and tidy (i.e. before a presentation) one should always carry a small comb.

Nice coat and coiff BTW.

Last edited:

cwmcynon

New in Town

JUZk1.jpg
Great look - would be even better with a hat

Reactions: Hal

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks great! Welcome to FL - glad to see someone your age interested in something that matters when it comes to style and dressing well.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was enthusiastic about this thread because I think he looks (looked) great and because I am a trenchcoat fan.
THEN I realised how old the thread is.
BUT I nonetheless am happy that people are digging into the vast treasure trove of old threads and reviving the ones they think are interesting. Keeps things fun and interesting.
I wonder whatever happened to Dave. He's probably a grandfather by now. :p

cwmcynon

New in Town
I was enthusiastic about this thread because I think he looks (looked) great and because I am a trenchcoat fan.
THEN I realised how old the thread is.
BUT I nonetheless am happy that people are digging into the vast treasure trove of old threads and reviving the ones they think are interesting. Keeps things fun and interesting.
I wonder whatever happened to Dave. He's probably a grandfather by now. :p
I found the Fedora Lounge by doing a Google search. I don't think it matters that the thread was nearly 8 years ago - it is the subject matter which interests me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui