Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trials and Federations

deanzat

One of the Regulars
I know it's wrong to generalize from one's personal experience, so I'll merely hypothesize: open crown hats and online buying may be best left to experienced hatsmen and women.

I've been struggling since Xmas to get my FedIV tamed. I've dry-bashed, sprayed and steamed, carefully replicating designs I've seen on this site. I've settled on something far from what I imagined, but I think it's the only bash my head will accept:
107841689.jpg
107841693.jpg

I believe an experienced person would have already known that not everyone looks right in a Bogart pinch, and not every head shape can wear a diamond or teardrop bash, etc.

The weird thing is, after getting frustrated with dozens of dent attempts and crown shapes, I have grown to accept this deep center dent without side dents. The side view is bizarre - it looks like Mr. Limpet, or a fast food paper hat:
107841700.jpg

The bash is crooked, uneven, lopsided, etc., but it's MINE. I was watching Miller's Crossing, which the Coen brothers themselves called a film "about men and their hats," and all the hats were crooked, uneven, lopsided, etc. So that eased my anxiety a bit.

I guess all's well that ends well, but I think for the foreseeable future I will only buy hats I can try on, and I would advise other newbies to do the same until they really know what they want in a hat. Thanks, Z
107841696.jpg

RBH

Bartender
I think you can accept more but I really like the looks of that one!
The more you crease the more you will get used to. Truth be told the Federation is one of the hardest hats I have ever tried to crease non Indy style. {it takes a Indy crease very easy}

carter

I'll Lock Up
While wearing the hat

Try inserting the index finger of each hand on the side of the center dent equidistant from the front and back and gently pulling outward? It's easier to do this while looking in a mirror. See if you come up with something you like.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Are we seeing a mirror image? The bow's on the wrong side. You're either photographing yourself in a mirror or your hat is on backwards. I prefer simplicity myself, but you got to go with what feels right. It seems like the center dent is very deep.

FedIV.jpg

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Chuck Bobuck said:
Are we seeing a mirror image? The ribbon's on the wrong side. You're either photographing yourself in a mirror or your hat is on backwards. I prefer simplicity myself, but you got to go with what feels right.

FedIV.jpg

I'm using a computer camera that does reverse the image like a mirror. I haven't worn a hat backwards since my Big Lebowski New Year's Eve party in 08, and I'm pretty sure it was one of these pickle hats:
pickle-hat-ad.jpg

deanzat

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Try inserting the index finger of each hand on the side of the center dent equidistant from the front and back and gently pulling outward? It's easier to do this while looking in a mirror. See if you come up with something you like.

I gave it a try and my wife says it's better. Still no side dents, though. Pics tomorrow. Thanks, Z

KatintheHat

Suspended

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Deanzat

I just got my fed deluxe IV today and I am about embark on my journey into a Cap't Crunch lookin lid......But I have to tell you I haven't laughed this hard in a very very long time. Thanks.

Now back to my Akubra origami experiment:eek:

deanzat

One of the Regulars
relaxing the bash

Here's tonight's version. I'm okay without side dents, but the main reason they're not there is that they just won't stay.
large.jpg

Maybe I'm so used to my Banjo Paterson that I look funny to myself in another hat....

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I really like the newest bash. Plus, with gentle playing, you could get the side dents over time... if you want to. But a good looking hat, with or without.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
I really like the newest bash. Plus, with gentle playing, you could get the side dents over time... if you want to. But a good looking hat, with or without.

Thanks. I need to give the hat some time. Every time I grow or shave off a beard or mustache, it takes me a while to get used to the stranger in the mirror. Same thing with a hat, I guess. Z

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Spraying a little water might help you get the dents and pinch formed. Let the hat dry naturally, they should stay after it dries. I have a '76 Musicman with 4 10" speakers. I don't move it around much anymore, but I love the tone.

Carlisle Blues

Progess not perfection

Did a dry center dent with sides looks cool.

My son likes it and my wife has stopped laughing.

I am sure I will mess with it unitil I get my Cap'n Crunch look.:eusa_clap

Thwack

Familiar Face
Carlisle, did you get the standard or the deluxe?

I have a deluxe and it dry bashed, with side dents, fairly easily. I haven't steamed or gotten it wet and I've been suprised that it held.

Don't give up, you'll get it soon enough and the hat sure can take it.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
deanzat said:
Here's tonight's version. I'm okay without side dents, but the main reason they're not there is that they just won't stay.
Maybe I'm so used to my Banjo Paterson that I look funny to myself in another hat....

I think the sides leading up to the point in the front need to be straighter rather than curved. Then the dents should stay in. right now the curve in the top pull the dents out.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
busy morning

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, it's a '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue. Bought it in the 90s. Other amps come and (sometimes) go, but I always come back to this one.

Hat shape is fungible; head shape is not. A lot of the bashes I've attempted look great while the hat is in my hands, but change when I slip it onto my pointy, misshapen head. I have no hair to cushion things, either. People often comment that my Banjo Paterson looks too high, but my head touches the top of the crown. Yes, I can join the Conehead Collaborative.

That's how the original Mr. Limpet shape evolved; it conformed to the shape of my head and felt very comfortable.

I'll keep experimenting, but that gets back to my original concern; I think an open crown hat might be too great an investment of anxiety for a tweaker like me! I am supposed to spend part of the day working... ;-) Z

Carlisle Blues

Thwack said:
Carlisle, did you get the standard or the deluxe?

I have a deluxe and it dry bashed, with side dents, fairly easily. I haven't steamed or gotten it wet and I've been suprised that it held.

Don't give up, you'll get it soon enough and the hat sure can take it.

Deluxe ...I am having a fun time with this I didn't know this was so pliable.

I am also thinking of ordering the same in Moonstone. Don't know if that is more grey than blue or the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy